heyyou

Complex case, which visa to apply?

37 posts in this topic

Timeline
5 hours ago, Pennycat said:

And just to chime in on the corrected timelines, even though it is completely out, the B1/B2 option is 12 months to a green card (5 or 6 to a work permit) so this lawyer is wrong on yet another front.

Avoid this person. They are either very, very badly informed or are steering you in a direction to make more money for themselves (make you think the B1/B2 to adjustment of status option is the best/fastest so  you'll choose it, knowing that you'll be denied the B1/B2 visa anyway, then you need to come back and pay them for more advice and more paperwork assistance for the visa you were supposed to go for in the first place). 

You'll meet people who have adjusted from B1/B2 visas. They were either already here and had a sudden change in circumstances that made them decide to stay or  (more likely) did not know that this wasn't legal and weren't caught or decided to take the risk and weren't caught. No one here can or will advise you to follow in those footsteps and anyone who does advise you to do that does not have your best interest at heart right now (there is an approximately 0% chance you'll get another B1/B2 visa at this point). 

I agree with that. As all people here who warned us about the attorney and  her suggestions, we will not work with her or won't follow her suggestions.

We appreciate the help we got from the forum 🙂Such an amazing community 👍

Timeline
8 hours ago, Roel said:

Also gotta correct your timeline. 

K1 approval takes about 8 to 10 months. 

After the wedding in the US you do AOS and it takes 12 or more months to get a green card. Not 4 months. Just for the work and travel permit you might have to wait 3 to 6 months. 

Overall cr1 is better if you want to start working in the US asap.  Takes about 10 to 12 months for approval. 

I misinterpreted the websites I read apperantly. Good to know about correct timeline to get green card and work/travel permit. Cr1 looks the smartest way to go after reading comments here 👍

5 hours ago, heyyou said:

I misinterpreted the websites I read apperantly. Good to know about correct timeline to get green card and work/travel permit. Cr1 looks the smartest way to go after reading comments here 👍

But really only if you're sure about your relationship.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

My case is CR1 and we got the approval after 12months. We had a small wedding (just nikah) in Turkey. I don't think it matters if the wedding is big or small, or if the parents came or whatever.

I personally don't recommend CR1 since it's too long. K1 is a lot better. I always tell people to find a way and marry in US, not in Turkey. :D

And make sure she is not going to leave you half way through the process, it's the worst feeling EVER.

Wish you the best of luck! :)

6 hours ago, Behiye said:

My case is CR1 and we got the approval after 12months. We had a small wedding (just nikah) in Turkey. I don't think it matters if the wedding is big or small, or if the parents came or whatever.

I personally don't recommend CR1 since it's too long. K1 is a lot better. I always tell people to find a way and marry in US, not in Turkey. :D

And make sure she is not going to leave you half way through the process, it's the worst feeling EVER.

Wish you the best of luck! :)

CR1 is about 12-14 months, K1 is about 10 months + marriage time (within 90 days) Plus AOS 3-18 months until green card. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

19 minutes ago, NikLR said:

CR1 is about 12-14 months, K1 is about 10 months + marriage time (within 90 days) Plus AOS 3-18 months until green card. 

Heck, it's even faster to work in the US (or travel abroad & return) doing the CR-1 than the K-1 nowadays.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.