Ahegao

Tourist Visa Denial Stories

50 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
38 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Just a few words of advice on your "research" project, from the perspective of an academic researcher, university level.  From your original post, it sounds like an undergraduate class project at a university in the US, not a PhD thesis.  Given this assumption (please correct me if I am wrong), some have criticized your proposed method using "case studies," and your "biased" point of view in beginning your research.  To these criticisms I would say that a case study method of data collection can be very valid, providing that the case studies are real, thorough, and rich in detail.  To be an effective and convincing source of data, case studies should be based on personal, exploratory interviews with the subjects, so you should seek out specific VJ users who have been denied tourist visas who are also willing to be interviewed by you.  While you may have a biased point of view on the subject, as is normally the case with many research projects, make sure your questions for the case study interviews are not biased or leading.  Try to be open minded about what you are hearing and just collect information.  Have your professor approve your research method and interview questions beforehand.  Make sure you have a clearly-stated research objective before you write the interview questions.  I cannot overstate the importance of a clear, concise, research question before you begin.  What is it that you are trying to understand?  Write the interview questions with this overall objective in mind.  Ask a few people who have been refused a tourist visa from a variety of countries, recently, to do an interview with you by phone.  Record the interviews and transcribe them.  Analyze them for themes.  Keep in mind that this type of qualitative research has limitations as far as what conclusions you can draw from it.  Case studies are good for generating broad insights and not for digging deeply into a specific subject.  They are good for understanding a subject matter, leading to and informing additional, more quantitative research that might include a survey, actual secondary data from the Dept. of State, etc.  You are unlikely to be able to develop any meaningful policy conclusions based on a qualitative method like case studies.  So just realize the limitations of your method and you'll be fine for a university class paper.  Attach your transcripts to your paper, as well as your questions asked.  Ask your professor for advice every step of the way.  And good luck!  

Thank you Carmel34. You have given excellent advice on how to conduct academic research that would yield valid data and conclusions. I too questioned the OP's bias as indicated in their original post. I do think however that the OP's topic is a little too broad and would benefit by narrowing the topic to a more specific question. A strong thesis statement and clearly defined research question would benefit the OP to be more focused.

Filed: Other Timeline

Thank you very much for the continued input. I half-expected to be dog piled because I somehow wasn't doing my research right as well as my personal biases into this. I'll certainly use your advice to better improve my arguments. I am still open for more information though. You can never have too much of it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 11/28/2018 at 1:29 AM, TM92 said:

Proclamation No. 9645? SCOTUS upheld it in the 5-4 Trump v. Hawaii decision: https://www.oyez.org/cases/2017/17-965 Thus, legal.

Ethical <> Moral <> Legal <> Solution

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.