Ahegao

Tourist Visa Denial Stories

50 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
1 hour ago, NuestraUnion said:

There are two extreme views on how immigration should be; 1) heavily restrictions and limitations on immigrants and 2) 100% open borders with no vetting process in place. To be honest, neither one of those views are a viable solution.

NK (aka the hermit kingdom) uses #1

north-korea-meme.jpg

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
7 hours ago, Ahegao said:

9/11 was a tragedy and the lax regulations were part of the cause of it, but it doesn't mean blanket Travel Bans are the solution. Besides government surveillance and watchdog groups have more capabilities and tools now more than ever before. I do believe we can find a fair middle ground here. It just takes time and work: things the US government isn't willing to put much effort to.

What "blanket travel bans" ?   I think you're watching too much MSNBC.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
4 hours ago, JE57 said:

My suggestion,  set up a sponsored single entry tourist visa such that the visitor would be sponsored such that a bond is posted such that if they don't leave when they are supposed to that the sponsor has to pay extreme amounts of money

I would personally disagree with this, if only because I believe there's already too much in the world that the wealthy can just throw money at while your average person misses out.

My own opinion which I've shared on many of the hundreds of threads about this subject.

I think there are two options, the first would be to end all paths to residency from non-immigrant visas. Or at least put an end to complete forgiveness when these so called "tourists" completely ignore U.S. laws and overstay for years or even decades, taking jobs away from legal residents. I believe harsher penalties and the knowledge that you will never be able to live openly without fear of deportation would deter people from considering such a life, therefore lessening the requirements for presumption of immigrant intent.

If this isn't possible then another option would be to have a secondary tourist visa category, a B1/2(a) perhaps. This would be for people who have been refused a regular tourist visa and would have far more stringent restrictions, perhaps only for one specific trip with a specific time frame. So you'd apply for the visa for a certain date, for say 2 weeks and that would be what is stamped in your passport. Then, after your trip, you'd have a set period to report back to the embassy in your home country to show that you have abided by the conditions. There would also be zero options for AoS on this more restrictive visa.

I don't know if such drastic changes to AoS could ever be possible though.

Nothing could ever completely stop tourist visa abuse, but making life more difficult for those who do it would deter many who might consider it.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I suggest you look into the fact that tourist visas are sometimes used to skirt the immigration system by allowing people(coming into the US via a B2) to adjust status.......eliminating that would a helpful reform.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

4 hours ago, JE57 said:

If you really want to talk about how to potentially reform the tourist visa process I think you need to consider a policy beyond the current requirement to prove that there is no immigrant intent.  There are many relatives of US citizens that would love to visit the USA that have no demonstrable compelling reason to leave the USA.  If Trump gets his way and ends so called Chain migration than many of these individuals will have no way to ever visit so Grandparents won't have the opportunity to visit new born babies sisters, brothers, parents, adult children of US legal immigrants may never have the chance to visit their relatives in the USA and get a view of where they live.  This is justified under the current system as they are,, depending on country of citizenship, deemed to be likely to overstay or immigrate illegally.  The solution of making it less stringent would presumably only result in more illegal immigrants.  So if you want reforms you need to propose a way that the potential visitor can overcome the stay illegally presumption.   My suggestion,  set up a sponsored single entry tourist visa such that the visitor would be sponsored such that a bond is posted such that if they don't leave when they are supposed to that the sponsor has to pay extreme amounts of money and that the visitor remains deport able and the expenses of doing so are also covered by the Bond.   More people get to visit,  the costs of deportation are covered and there is less incentive to come illegally if you know you can visit legally.   When I think of REFORM this is what comes to mind not revisiting who is accepted or denied.

A couple thoughts...

• Any changes to chain migration (very unlikely to occur IMO...especially with the change in control of the House) would not impact the ability to visit family members. Chain migration only impacts immigrants, not visitors.
  • The sponsored visit plan is interesting. However:
    • It basically lets you "buy" your way into the US. Yeah, you would lose a bond but for some people that's worth it....especially if they plan to illegally work in the US.
    • A sponsor has no means to enforce the individual leaving the US on time.
    • Pay-to-play...if you aren't well off, your family can't visit?
  • There's been talk of a a short-term (~3 year?) visa for parents that sort of follows the sponsorship design.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

7 hours ago, Ahegao said:

Perhaps I sounded a bit too naive with that. I personally have had experienced with being denied entry in the US before so feelings of frustration got the better of me. Still, I do think the system still leaves much more room for improvement, especially in regards to the way they screen and monitor applicants during processing.

If you want to do proper research you need to base it on more than personal experience and (totally unverifiable) anecdotes from the internet. Make sure you do the real research work on what the visa process actually entails from a US DoS angle, etc. Have you discussed your intended methodological approach with your teacher? Even for high school this approach sounds flimsy to be honest. In college it would be unacceptable for sure.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
7 minutes ago, missileman said:

people(coming into the US visa a B2) to adjust status

*B-2 OR VWP travelers that are immediate relatives of US citizens: https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume7-PartB-Chapter8.html

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, Ahegao said:

Perhaps I sounded a bit too naive with that. I personally have had experienced with being denied entry in the US before so feelings of frustration got the better of me. Still, I do think the system still leaves much more room for improvement, especially in regards to the way they screen and monitor applicants during processing.

so youre not coming at this from a non biased standpoint.

Lesson #1 of research papers: don't have a preconceived opinion.

VWP countries have nothing to do with whether or not they are political ALLIES, but more to do with their overall economic standing, overall education system and quality of life. Approval or denial for VWP status would be based on a multitude of factors, many I'm sure, we are not even aware of.

The list of VWP countries SHOULD be limited. It is a PRIVILEGE and should only be grated to those with lower rates of denial, lower rates of fraud, lower rates of overstays. You know, ones who typically play by the rules...

Thats not to say that good people with ZERO intent to adjust or simply stay, get denied for visas. They certainly do. But they can blame that on their country's reputation and past performance in those areas.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Other Timeline
11 hours ago, Ahegao said:

Thank you very much for the information and advice. I know my research isn't perfect yet (it is in the research phase after all) and I know that compared to you all, that I'm not as well versed on immigration procedures, but still learning is a process. I'll definitely use your input for my findings.

I love your idea and think you're definitely on to something. I agree with @gsdc23 that some countries no matter how much proof of ties you have to your country, they've reached a denial decision almost as soon as you reach the window. My fiance (before we applied for the K1) applied to visit me for the holidays. We had an itinerary set up, he had a booked return flight, a job letter, a school letter from the Dean explaining he was on his last semester and HAD to return for his exams so he can receive his degree, etc. He has no criminal records, no misuse of visas in the past, he has traveled to other "first world" countries before (proof that he has visited a stable country and has gone back home), and he had no history of applying for a US visa. They didn't look at any of his paperwork. At all. Not even asked for it. They asked him where are you going, how long for, and why and denied him outright. The system doesn't make sense no matter how much people want it to make sense. I'm sure at some point or maybe wayyyy higher in ranks, the process has a reason to be, but I think as it trickles down into action, a lot of it becomes either stricter or just gray area and ends up with unfortunate results.

Edited by cduran

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

Filed: Other Timeline
1 hour ago, MacUK said:

I would personally disagree with this, if only because I believe there's already too much in the world that the wealthy can just throw money at while your average person misses out.

My own opinion which I've shared on many of the hundreds of threads about this subject.

I think there are two options, the first would be to end all paths to residency from non-immigrant visas. Or at least put an end to complete forgiveness when these so called "tourists" completely ignore U.S. laws and overstay for years or even decades, taking jobs away from legal residents. I believe harsher penalties and the knowledge that you will never be able to live openly without fear of deportation would deter people from considering such a life, therefore lessening the requirements for presumption of immigrant intent.

If this isn't possible then another option would be to have a secondary tourist visa category, a B1/2(a) perhaps. This would be for people who have been refused a regular tourist visa and would have far more stringent restrictions, perhaps only for one specific trip with a specific time frame. So you'd apply for the visa for a certain date, for say 2 weeks and that would be what is stamped in your passport. Then, after your trip, you'd have a set period to report back to the embassy in your home country to show that you have abided by the conditions. There would also be zero options for AoS on this more restrictive visa.

I don't know if such drastic changes to AoS could ever be possible though.

Nothing could ever completely stop tourist visa abuse, but making life more difficult for those who do it would deter many who might consider it.

Completely agree!

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

Have you first figured out how certain countries wound up on "the list" of countries whose citizens can travel visa-free? That is a massive part of the story and any talk about reforming the tourist visa process has to factor that in. The short version is:  countries whose citizens are refused tourist visas at very low rates for three consecutive years are eligible to be in the visa waiver program (VWP). There are other requirements about data sharing passport security but the major point is the visa refusal rate. The visa refusal rate in turn is heavily influenced by the risk of overstay/ using the tourist visa to immigrate (either illegally or by, if ever eligible through marriage or other family ties, by adjusting status from tourist to resident). This risk is itself in large part measured to the overstays/ illegal immigration of other citizens from that country.

Basically, the misdeeds of those who came before factor heavily into the decisions made about those applying now. Two countries (Argentina and Uruguay) have been removed from the program as their citizens were using VWP to immigrate at high rates.

One major area to look at is the ability to adjust status from B1/B2 to permanent resident. Unlike many others, I do not  think this should be eliminated entirely (short version: of the 11 million people currently without legal status in the US, about half of them came on B1/B2 visas and now have families and children etc. While NO it is NOT fair to reward them for this, practically speaking there is no reason other than to "be right" to pull 5 million plus otherwise law abiding families apart. I think that AOS on the basis of marriage should be allowed at least some leeway, but not the free-for-all we have now).

What I do think should happen is that the ability to adjust status on the basis of marriage from tourist visa should cost 5 or more times more than it does now. The people who are here illegally and have been for some time should/would be happy to pay that to normalize their status and protect their families. The people using it as a shortcut can go right ahead and pay for that convenience, or go home and do the spouse visa like everyone else. I think that it should be a mandatory interview, and that the immigrant should lose the ability to ever get any visa to the US again (meaning: if that marriage falls apart and they somehow lose their residency status/ are deported/ whatever, they've blown that chance).

Or, for the real hard-liners, they must go back to their countries and interview for a spouse visa--absolutely no AOS from VWP or tourist visa. Only caveat is that overstays in these cases should be forgiven (no bans for overstays for spouses of US citizens).

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

13 hours ago, Ahegao said:

Yes, I am aware, but there are individuals that still get denied entry for whatever arbitrary reason despite showing no intent to immigrate to the US. Those are the ones I would like to hear from.

You've got it on backwards-- you don't have to refrain from showing intent to immigrate to the US. You have to prove intent to leave. Anyone can hide a true intention, what they're looking for is positive proof of intent to leave. 

Where making adjustment of status from tourist visas/ VWP helpful impossible (or perhaps extremely expensive with other consequences) would help is here-- anyone with family/ boy/girlfriends in the US etc would have no (or limited) ability to adjust status and therefore have an easier hurdle to clear in terms of proving intent to leave. Can't adjust= can't stay legally. Not everyone will choose to stay illegally. 

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Pennycat said:

You've got it on backwards-- you don't have to refrain from showing intent to immigrate to the US. You have to prove intent to leave. Anyone can hide a true intention, what they're looking for is positive proof of intent to leave. 

exactly. Which is why in the 7 or 8 trips my fiance has made here since filing the K1 in may, he takes a TON of proof that is is GOING back (intent to leave).  The evidence he takes has always been more than enough, but from another country, it probably wouldnt cut it. (and yes, canada gets to play by slightly different rules but they certainly can be denied entrance to the US)

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.