Mike & Chai

Middle Name Problems

18 posts in this topic

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:48 PM, Mike & Chai said:

Oh really? Wow i didn't know that. I thought that I have to go back to our country for that. But yeah i'm just gonna stick to using my second first name as my middle name here. There are some forums where I read that the USCIS doesn't allow that unless you are a US Citizen. That we should still stick to our original middle name that is indicated on our passports. It's really confusing 😞😞  Thank you so much for everything 😊 

Hank and others have given you pretty good answers.  I just want to point out that when you go into USCIS for your AOS interview, they could change your name back to your birth certificate first and middle names with your married last name regardless of what you put on the I-485.  I'm not saying they will, but they did this with my wife.  The end result would be a mismatch between your green card and your passport that can't be resolved until you become a citizen.

Edited by Talako

Finally done.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, Talako said:

Hank and others have given you pretty good answers.  I just want to point out that when you go into USCIS for your AOS interview, they could change your name back to your birth certificate first and middle names with your married last name regardless of what you put on the I-485.  I'm not saying they will, but they did this with my wife.  The end result would be a mismatch between your green card and your passport that can't be resolved until you become a citizen.

Not always so... that is a depends thing .. as in depends on the Adjudicator with USCIS.    My wife used her married name ( traditional naming format) from the get-go with her green card & SS card  and had zero issue with SSA or USCIS ... but I do agree most times USCIS or SSA will not cooperate ;)  

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

3 hours ago, Talako said:

1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

Not always so... that is a depends thing .. as in depends on the Adjudicator with USCIS.    My wife used her married name ( traditional naming format) from the get-go with her green card & SS card  and had zero issue with SSA or USCIS ... but I do agree most times USCIS or SSA will not cooperate ;)  

As @Hank said and I will reiterate that our asawas started using the married name on EVERYTHING after we got married. We filed for the AOS paperwork in her married name as well. When we had the AOS interview the interviewer noted that she had changed it and remarked how we shouldn't have done that, BUT he did nothing about it at all and my asawa got her Conditional Greencard in her married name. So what if there is a mismatch on the passport compared to the greencard, my wife has that right now without any issues at all. The ONLY document right now that has my wife's maiden name on it is her passport. She has her GC, CA & NC DL, and her DOD Dependent ID card in her married name. You can always do the ROM later and get her passport in her married name. 

You will be fine so dw and stop worrying about the what if's.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.