California2020

Remarried with conditional green card

59 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, manhattan2016 said:

But u said am gonna surrender my green card which means am not permanent resident anymore..

for example the people who come here on tourist visa or study or any legal entry and stayed over the limit of their visa which means they already have no status no or residence due their overstay limit .. i read that they can apply for adjustment of status although they are living illegally here!

do u think they allowed to apply for adjustment without leaving the country and am the one who married US Citizen and have work and study and everything here but I have to leave! Do u think this make sense 

How exactly would you abandon your permanent resident status while in the US? AFAIK, there is no process to do so (without being removed/deported...which would not be a good path to take).

The process to voluntarily abandon status is via an I-407 filed abroad.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Timeline
19 minutes ago, geowrian said:

How exactly would you abandon your permanent resident status while in the US? AFAIK, there is no process to do so (without being removed/deported...which would not be a good path to take).

Geowrian .. as i knew from the guys here that i have to take one of these two ways 

1- to apply for waiver which am gonna lose it anyways as the lawyers said because i have no bona fides here since i moved which means am gonna get removed or deported 

2- to fail apply to remove the conditional residence and am gonna get removed or deported 

so in the both cases am gonna lose the residence 

here is the question......

what about my wife!!!!

are we be able to apply for new case ?

and if we able to apply do i have to get out the states or i can apply for adjustment of status ?

second question what if we can not apply what am gonna do with my wife am i gonna divorce her! This is unfair because its not my fault in the previous marriage and i did nothing wrong and the divorce can happen anytime after the marriage 

Filed: Timeline
19 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Geowrian .. as i knew from the guys here that i have to take one of these two ways 

1- to apply for waiver which am gonna lose it anyways as the lawyers said because i have no bona fides here since i moved which means am gonna get removed or deported 

2- to fail apply to remove the conditional residence and am gonna get removed or deported 

so in the both cases am gonna lose the residence 

here is the question......

what about my wife!!!!

are we be able to apply for new case ?

and if we able to apply do i have to get out the states or i can apply for adjustment of status ?

second question what if we can not apply what am gonna do with my wife am i gonna divorce her! This is unfair because its not my fault in the previous marriage and i did nothing wrong and the divorce can happen anytime after the marriage 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

This is a DIY site and even people with week cases seem to get ROC, but you seem to have no case. Not sure I have seen one ike it and as has been said more an issue for competent Immigration Lawyers.

Nobody is suggesting divorce, just a question of location.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 8:03 AM, manhattan2016 said:

But u said am gonna surrender my green card which means am not permanent resident anymore..

for example the people who come here on tourist visa or study or any legal entry and stayed over the limit of their visa which means they already have no status no or residence due their overstay limit .. i read that they can apply for adjustment of status although they are living illegally here!

do u think they allowed to apply for adjustment without leaving the country and am the one who married US Citizen and have work and study and everything here but I have to leave! Do u think this make sense 

Like @geowrian said the I-407 is submitted abroad. Here is a link with a list of USCIS offices abroad: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-immigration-offices Offices can have jurisdiction for more than 1 country. What country(ies) are you a citizen of?

To recap: 1) you leave the US. 2) you give up LPR status by submitting Form I-407 at an USCIS international office.

Edited by lummo

On 11/30/2018 at 8:03 AM, manhattan2016 said:

Below is another ROC VJ user, @SteveE's, experience, but I will reiterate that immigration is more enforced now than decades past:

On 12/10/2018 at 10:20 AM, lummo said:

Below is another ROC VJ user, @SteveE's, experience, but I will reiterate that immigration is more enforced now than decades past:

I just saw this and add a couple of comments...

My understanding is that if you do not file for ROC your green card process will be considered abandoned. 

You are a "Temporary Permanent Resident" on a two year green card and NOT a permanent resident until you have a 10 year green card (at least based on a marriage based green card).

I believe that if my original case happened today I would have been issued a deportation order for failing to file for ROC. The IO who conducted our interview pretty much said as much and verified the fact that no deportation order was ever issued against me.

I certainly do not think it would be advisable to not file for ROC and face the very real prospect of having to deal with a deportation order.

I do know that because I originally entered on a B2 visitors visa, even though I had filed for AOS before I was still considered to be in a category that allowed for AOS (we filed under B2 the second time and this never came up as an issue).

You do not have to be in status to apply for AOS as the spouse of an USC so I don't know if you can apply immediately after having your ROC denied if that is what happens (and if this could even be done before a deportation order was issued if one were to be).

You most certainly will face many questions regarding the validity of your first marriage and the timeframe of your second marriage. At the time of filing the second time my wife and I had been married for over 15 years, so obviously that added a great deal of credibility to our marriage.

Although we did not use a lawyer to file, we did consult with immigration lawyers a couple of times regarding specific questions to our case before filing (such as was I still eligible to file etc...) and I fully disclosed all information at all times.

In all case ALWAYS tell the truth and provide all the relevant information during the immigration process.

2 minutes ago, SteveE said:

My understanding is that if you do not file for ROC your green card process will be considered abandoned. 

You are a "Temporary Permanent Resident" on a two year green card and NOT a permanent resident until you have a 10 year green card (at least based on a marriage based green card).

Technically, permanent residency is terminated upon not filing for ROC. It just takes time for them to notice & process it, and there are options to file afterwards and have it accepted. But the law is that if you don't file then your status is terminated.

Conditional Permanent Resident*. A conditional permanent resident is every bit a permanent resident. The only difference is they need to complete ROC. ROC only applies to marriage-based green cards.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

7 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Technically, permanent residency is terminated upon not filing for ROC. It just takes time for them to notice & process it, and there are options to file afterwards and have it accepted. But the law is that if you don't file then your status is terminated.

Conditional Permanent Resident*. A conditional permanent resident is every bit a permanent resident. The only difference is they need to complete ROC. ROC only applies to marriage-based green cards.

I'm not trying to get into any kind of argument here but there is a great difference between "Conditional Permanent Resident" and "Permanent Resident" and the very fact that the two exist speaks for itself. Indeed if there were no such thing as "Conditional Permanent Resident" then this entire thread would be moot...

6 minutes ago, SteveE said:

I'm not trying to get into any kind of argument here but there is a great difference between "Conditional Permanent Resident" and "Permanent Resident" and the very fact that the two exist speaks for itself. Indeed if there were no such thing as "Conditional Permanent Resident" then this entire thread would be moot...

Can you please cite an example of a difference, other than needing to file for ROC?

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

5 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Can you please cite an example of a difference, other than needing to file for ROC?

You yourself have provided the difference. ONE is "Conditional Permanent Resident" and the other is "Permanent Resident".

If NO difference existed then the OP would already be a "Permanent Resident" and this whole thing would be moot.

Indeed if there were no difference then I would NOT have had to file a second time as there would have been no conditions on my original green card and it would have been permanent.

"Conditional" means just that, it is conditional based on further approval which makes it different from "Permanent Residency" (which does not require any further approval)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, SteveE said:

You yourself have provided the difference. ONE is "Conditional Permanent Resident" and the other is "Permanent Resident".

If NO difference existed then the OP would already be a "Permanent Resident" and this whole thing would be moot.

Indeed if there were no difference then I would NOT have had to file a second time as there would have been no conditions on my original green card and it would have been permanent.

"Conditional" means just that, it is conditional based on further approval which makes it different from "Permanent Residency" (which does not require any further approval)

You stated " but there is a great difference between "Conditional Permanent Resident" and "Permanent Resident".  Other than filing for removal of conditions, there are none.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

6 minutes ago, missileman said:

You stated " but there is a great difference between "Conditional Permanent Resident" and "Permanent Resident".  Other than filing for removal of conditions, there are none.  

I would consider that a great difference and it is the key point to this entire thread.

You may yourself consider that a minor difference and of course that is your opinion and you are fully entitled to it. I never stated there are great differences or many differences.

My actual reply was

Edited by SteveE

There's a difference in name.

There's a difference in that one needs to file for ROC.

Nothing more.

33 minutes ago, SteveE said:

My actual reply was...

The actual remark was " You are a "Temporary Permanent Resident" on a two year green card and NOT a permanent resident until you have a 10 year green card (at least based on a marriage based green card)."

1) It's not "Temporary", it's conditional.

2) A conditional permanent resident is still a permanent resident. One does not need a 10 year green card to be a permanent resident.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.