mshaban

selective service

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm 29 yrs and i'm about to apply for the citizenship , i entered the states at the age of 24 and i didn't know about the selective service and i have to register .

at the age of 27 i called the selective service and they sent me the status letter ,

my question here what do i do about the citizenship application should i choose that i didn't register and what's the good reasons why i haven't register ?

and is there's any other documents or paper required i should sent it to USCIS about that ? 

Edited by mshaban

What did the status information letter from Selective Service say? 

If you were required to register bit failed to do so--which is what it sounds like--then you could only apply at 29 years old if you were applying for naturalisation on the basis of being married to a US citizen for three years. 

If you were instead applying under the five year rule then you would need to wait until you turned 31.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

The letter said that i failed to register and i can show this letter when i'm applying for any benefits which is the citizenship is one of them i think .

Also i'm eligible to apply for citizenship since i've been here for 5 years as a permanent resident .

i looked it up online and some said that i have to show the USCIS this letter and sworn declaration form but i don't know where to get this form or what's in it !

Youre no longer eligible because you didnt register.  Ignorance of the law doesn't absolve you.  Please reread @Hypnos post. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Actually I'm still eligible to apply !

I didn't register because i didn't know about that .

According to USCIS website and SSS website i can still apply only if i have the sworn declaration form support my explanation of what happened to result in my not knowing .

My question to people who has same experience as me .

Did they have this sworn declaration form or just applied with the sss letter ?

If anyone know where to get this form or what's in this form ?

Anyway thanks to @Hypnos and @NikLR for trying to help and i'm gonna wait for other people replies .

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

you were given a welcome letter when u recd the visa

WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES

A guide for new immigrants

there were responsiblities and rights listed

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf

page 14 tells u about registering for selective service

pretty hard to say u did not know about this

i am sure u are well acquainted with the rights section

Timeline

I didn't read it as many as a lot of people !

https://www.sss.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=0Ky-rgZai_Y%3d&portalid=0

Page 2 :

2. Failure to Register for Selective Service USCIS will deny a naturalization application when the applicant refuses to register with Selective Service or has knowingly and willfully failed to register during the statutory period. The officer may request for the applicant to submit a status information letter and registration acknowledgement card before concluding that he failed to register. The status information letter will indicate whether a requirement to register existed. The applicant must show by a preponderance of the evidence that his failure to register was not a knowing or willful act. Failure on the part of USCIS or SSS to complete the process on behalf of the applicant, however, will not constitute a willful failure to register on the part of the applicant. The denial notice in cases where willful failure to register is established may also show that in addition to failing to register, the applicant is not well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States. This determination depends on the applicant’s age at the time of filing the application and up until the time of the oath:

I didn't refuse to register , i didn't even know about this selective service when i entered states .

Appreciate your answer to my post and hope for other replies from other people have same situation .

It doesnt matter if you READ it or not.  That was your choice to not read it.  You were provided the information. 

Try and see if you don't want to believe the forum.  Again, your choice. Best of luck.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You need 5 years GMC so that looks like it will be 32 before you can apply.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

As stated by myself and others, if you apply before turning 31 then your N-400 will most likely be denied due to failing the 'good moral character' test by not registering for Selective Service when you were required to. 

I've only ever seen one person overcome this denial, and they had letters from their pastor, from charities they volunteered and worked for, and a few other things that was able to overcome the lack of Selective Service registration. 

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

Appreciate all the answers here thanks to you all .

I checked the status letter i got from the selective service and it said :

it's to clarify that a non-registrant is not to be denied any federal benefit if he can demonstrate that his failure to register was not knowing or willful .

Any Advice how can i demonstrate this failure to register ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Korea DPR
Timeline
12 hours ago, mshaban said:

Ignorantia juris non excusat is a legal principle holding that a person who is unaware of a law may not escape liability for violating that law merely because one was unaware of its content.

Timeline
13 hours ago, mshaban said:

You need to demonstrate that your failure to register was not WILLFUL. How can it can be proved? I have no idea. I guess the only thing that you can present as a proof is your own statement under oath. 

INS memo on the Effect of Failure to Register for Selective Service on Naturalization Eligibility

June 18, 1999

Once it is established by a status information letter that a naturalization applicant failed to register when required, the INS officer must determine, based on other evidence, whether or not an applicant’s failure to register was knowing and willful. INS officers must consider all persuasive evidence presented by an applicant relating to his failure to register. At a minimum, the INS officers must take a statement under oath from an applicant in order to determine whether or not failure to register was knowing and willful.

Timeline

This is actually a very interesting subject. Sorry, this is my 3rd message in a row))))

I did some further "googling" and here is what I found. If you look at Form I-485 page 15 (Applicant's Declaration and Certification) it says:

I understand that if I am a male who is 18 to 26 years of age, submitting this application will automatically register me with the Selective Service System as required by the Military Selective Service Act.

You said you got your GC at the age of 24. So technically, you were supposed to be registered automatically.  

Edited by Dodgertown

Jezzz, There are some people here that mannnn , if you are not 100% sure or a lawyer , you should not be confirming anything.

"Youre no longer eligible because you didnt register.  Ignorance of the law doesn't absolve you..  "

WT$%$%$#$ ????? This guy is maddd coz you didnt register Lol

SO here is my statement , My roommate JUST WENT THROUGH THIS , he missed and did not register!! Well it took a little bit longer like about 3 months , but he is a citizen now !! He did last year , as some people here said , as long as you did not intent to deny you registration , you forgot or well life is not perfect... You need to contact them"Selective Service System"

But as @Dodgertown mentioned, mine did automatically , a lot of people it does automatically and people don't know. If I am not wrong you can check here https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Check-a-Registration/Verification-Form  ???? 

So I was freaking out too but find out it did automatically :) If yours is there they will mail you a Verification and a number :)

GOod luck , and one more time , I am not a lawyer !!! This is just some ideas to you. :)

AOS JOURNEY
09/25/2012 - Sent AOS I-485/EAD Package
10/04/2012 - 2 NOA's hardcopies received at home
10/11/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received
10/15/2012 - RFE hard copy (request for 2011 tax return and sponsor I-864 )
10/20/2012 - RFE sent and txt message received confirming they got it
10/22/2012 - Walk-in biometrics successful (15 days earlier)
12/10/2012 - Status updated, interview schedule for 01/11/2013
12/11/2012 - EAD status updated approved
12/15/2012 - EAD status Document Production
12/17/2012 - EAD status USPS has picked up
12/19/2012 - EAD card received
01/11/2013 - Interview, approved on spot
01/19/2013 - Green Card arrived in the mail :) See you in two years :)

I-751 Removing Condition Journey

10/15/2014 - Sent I-751 Package

10/18/2014 - Received NOA1 (One year Extension)

10/20/2014 - Check Cashed

10/29/2014 - Biometrics Appointment letter received for 10/11/14

11/04/2014 - Biometrics done (Walk in)

04/02/2015 - Approved and Card in production :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.