Jump to content
Ahoy01

Is it better to wait and enter the US or does it not matter now?

11 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello All!

 

So I recently had my interview, and was approved. I got my passport back with my visa printed in it. At the time of my interview I was married less then 2 years, hence my visa says CR-1. However our 2 year anniversary is coming up soon.

 

I read online if I enter the US after our 2 year anniversary the green card will be issued as IR-1 and we can skip the whole process of removing conditions (even if the visa was issued under CR-1). Is this correct? If so is there any steps we have to take during the entry to the US or even after to ensure it is IR-1?

 

Thank you!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just enter after 2 year anniversary and mention to the CBP officer that you have passed the 2 year limit. And if your GC still comes with CR instead IR, you can change it with no fee. If your 2nd anniversary isn't too far away, I would just wait for it. You will save money, time and nerves 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Elrona said:

Just enter after 2 year anniversary and mention to the CBP officer that you have passed the 2 year limit. And if your GC still comes with CR instead IR, you can change it with no fee. If your 2nd anniversary isn't too far away, I would just wait for it. You will save money, time and nerves 😃

 

Thank you very much! In  fact my anniversiy is so close that it gives me enough time to tie up my affairs in canada and then head out. 

 

My only concern is, am I the mercy of IO to know this rule. Because if they dont know it, am I stuck to CR-1, or is this sort of a "hard" rule that even if the CBP officer does not know USCIS will know and correct it later?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ahoy01 said:

 

Thank you very much! In  fact my anniversiy is so close that it gives me enough time to tie up my affairs in canada and then head out. 

 

My only concern is, am I the mercy of IO to know this rule. Because if they dont know it, am I stuck to CR-1, or is this sort of a "hard" rule that even if the CBP officer does not know USCIS will know and correct it later?

As far as I've read from the forum, they do know that rule fairly well. There have even been cases where its been told to the immigrant "if you had waited a bit more, you could have gotten IR instead of CR". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ahoy01 said:

 

Thank you very much! In  fact my anniversiy is so close that it gives me enough time to tie up my affairs in canada and then head out. 

 

My only concern is, am I the mercy of IO to know this rule. Because if they dont know it, am I stuck to CR-1, or is this sort of a "hard" rule that even if the CBP officer does not know USCIS will know and correct it later?

No, you are not.  The CBPO doesn't print your card.....They are familiar with the 2 year rule...

 

8 minutes ago, Elrona said:

As far as I've read from the forum, they do know that rule fairly well. There have even been cases where its been told to the immigrant "if you had waited a bit more, you could have gotten IR instead of CR". 

My wife was told that by the CBPO.


"Experience can be a tough teacher to those who fail to heed good advice"- Missileman, 12/6/18

 

First career- 20 year Retired E-8, USAF Missileer,

Second career-Retired Registered Nurse, experience in Labor& Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent & Adult Psych

Third career-Retired IT Developer & Database Administrator for surgical services dept.

 

Immigration Journey:

  • Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, missileman said:

No, you are not.  The CBPO doesn't print your card.....They are familiar with the 2 year rule...

 

My wife was told that by the CBPO.

Even at the Interview I was told to rather wait because it would be better for us. 

Yet we decided that I fly out before our 2 nd anniversary! 

Edited by mrmvkjts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible the CBP office makes a mistake? Yes. In that case you would file an I-90 to fix it (no charge due to error).

 

You could also bring your marriage certificate as evidence it's been 2+ years of marriage at the time of entry.


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/17/18: Approved

10/24/18: Green card produced

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ahoy01 said:

Hello All!

 

So I recently had my interview, and was approved. I got my passport back with my visa printed in it. At the time of my interview I was married less then 2 years, hence my visa says CR-1. However our 2 year anniversary is coming up soon.

 

I read online if I enter the US after our 2 year anniversary the green card will be issued as IR-1 and we can skip the whole process of removing conditions (even if the visa was issued under CR-1). Is this correct? If so is there any steps we have to take during the entry to the US or even after to ensure it is IR-1?

 

Thank you!

 

I recently had this question as well!

Your date of entry to the United States with your issued spousal visa is what determines your type of residency you receive. If you enter the USA after the 2 year anniversary of your marriage, you'll be issued a 10 year green card/ permanent residency! So just be patient!!!

So excited for you! We send our I-130 package out next week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ahoy01 said:

 

Thank you very much! In  fact my anniversiy is so close that it gives me enough time to tie up my affairs in canada and then head out. 

 

My only concern is, am I the mercy of IO to know this rule. Because if they dont know it, am I stuck to CR-1, or is this sort of a "hard" rule that even if the CBP officer does not know USCIS will know and correct it later?

A "mistake" can happen at the border OR at USCIS, but you are not "stuck".  It can be corrected.  Make the decision that best fits your own priorities.


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2018 at 9:39 AM, Jaret&Rachael said:

I recently had this question as well!

Your date of entry to the United States with your issued spousal visa is what determines your type of residency you receive. If you enter the USA after the 2 year anniversary of your marriage, you'll be issued a 10 year green card/ permanent residency! So just be patient!!!

So excited for you! We send our I-130 package out next week!

Good luck with your I-130. It has felt like a long journey for us. The only advice is be patient, and don't get to anxious about it. I dont know, if they are easy on Canadian during the interviews. But it was straight forward, no trick questions. It almost felt like they just want to talk to you to just make sure you are not insane, and are curious about basic facts of how you met. Any real couple will have no issues.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×