Tunisian_tunisia

Divorce on conditional GC (merged)

100 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

What would lead a ROC case to be denied?! 

• Failure to respond to an RFE.
  • Not being able to convince the IO of a bona fide marriage. This is a judgement call by the IO based on the evidence you will provide showing it was a bona fide marriage.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline
11 minutes ago, geowrian said:
  • Failure to respond to an RFE.
  • Not being able to convince the IO of a bona fide marriage. This is a judgement call by the IO based on the evidence you will provide showing it was a bona fide marriage.

Is there some specific evidence that are considered very strong to show bonafide?! Like they have to be there 

15 minutes ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

Is there some specific evidence that are considered very strong to show bonafide?! Like they have to be there 

No single piece of evidence is required to show a bona fide marriage.

Evidence of living together is a pretty big one.

Commingling of finances (i.e. joint accounts used jointly, beneficiaries for insurances and accounts, etc.) is another one they like to see.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Timeline
38 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Commingling of finances (i.e. joint accounts used jointly, beneficiaries for insurances and accounts, etc.) is another one they like to see.

We have 1 joint checking just for our bills, on this account the same cycle of bills repeats each month, we have another joint checking that we opened in feb 2018 and it’s for our daily expenses but the activity on it went a little low because she quit her job and i get paid cash so we use more cash. We have one savings together also. We have 1 car title under both our names and we have 2 car insurance under both names and we have internet bill that come under both names.I purchased a car 3 weeks ago and put it under both names but her car is under her name because it’s a gift from her mom. We have last year’s tax return under both names. We also have  letters coming to our same adress. All of the evidence started after September 2017 because that’s where I received my GC and started working. We have some family pics with her family and some pic of us on some small trips. We don’t have health insurance because she is covered with molina health care for low income family for her and her kids before i came to the states. I don’t have health insurance because I work part time and didn’t make enough to plan on purchasing one. We don’t have life insurance as well. We have apartment lease under both names since March 2017. I think that’s all we got. Soon I’ll add the evidence of going to the counseling sessions and possibly next year’s tax return if we got to that time of the year together. That’s all i have.

Timeline
17 hours ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

We have 1 joint checking just for our bills, on this account the same cycle of bills repeats each month, we have another joint checking that we opened in feb 2018 and it’s for our daily expenses but the activity on it went a little low because she quit her job and i get paid cash so we use more cash. We have one savings together also. We have 1 car title under both our names and we have 2 car insurance under both names and we have internet bill that come under both names.I purchased a car 3 weeks ago and put it under both names but her car is under her name because it’s a gift from her mom. We have last year’s tax return under both names. We also have  letters coming to our same adress. All of the evidence started after September 2017 because that’s where I received my GC and started working. We have some family pics with her family and some pic of us on some small trips. We don’t have health insurance because she is covered with molina health care for low income family for her and her kids before i came to the states. I don’t have health insurance because I work part time and didn’t make enough to plan on purchasing one. We don’t have life insurance as well. We have apartment lease under both names since March 2017. I think that’s all we got. Soon I’ll add the evidence of going to the counseling sessions and possibly next year’s tax return if we got to that time of the year together. That’s all i have.

Also can anyone tell me what type of questions would I expect if i get an interview after filing ROC with divorce waiver?!

Timeline
20 hours ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

Also can you tell me what type of questions would I expect if i get an interview after filing ROC with divorce waiver?!

Timeline

Update: we are having a counseling appointment on the 3rd, i tried to work things out before the counseling but she seems to be far and very distant from me. i even offered to forgive her cheating and told her that maybe i didn't pay attention to our relationship as i should and that's why we ended up in this position but that still couldn't change her mind. she said she needs space and time and we should wait on the counseling to see how things will workout. she asked me to stop hacking into her social media i said i'll if you stop talking to the guy you cheated  with but she said that it is her personal business and i can't tell her to stop her personal things. I tried everything possible, i even acknowledge what i have not been good at in our relationship and told her i'll try to do better. She said she wants to keep us at a distance just like friends until the counseling is done. I've been suffering and depressed recently because of the whole heart break she cause and also because of my excessive worry about removing my condition, while she seems completely happy. i caught her texting the guy again today .... Honestly guys i'm scared, my fear of losing my residency is making do stupid thing like this. because i'm just SCARED. 

Please tell me what are the worst case scenarios that would happen if i divorce and what questions would i expect if i get an interview for ROC after divorce?

and if you want to know what evidence i have, i already listed them in the previous post. 

i just need someone to lift me up, and tell me what would i expect. please

thank you so much

Edited by Tunisian_tunisia

Timeline
20 hours ago, Damara said:

@Tunisian_tunisia 

Im going to be blunt with you- you CAN NOT make someone love you if they dont. Stop trying to save the relationship. It is over. She moved on. Let her go. There is nothing you can say or do to change her heart or mind.

You will need to file ROC with a divorce waiver, so you need to get a divorce. Focus on that. Do not make concessions in the divorce because you feel you 'need it' for ROC. Yes, you do need a final divorce decree to get approved for a divorce waiver ROC, but immigration has provisions for such a situation. Im not going to go into a long explanation about it but basically USCIS would administratively deny you for not having a final decree and send you to court where a judge will give you as much time as you need to get a final decree. It will add cost and time and extra steps, but if thats how it goes, thats how it goes. Plenty of people go through it. 

The divorce decree will be an important part of your ROC. It can not have anything in it about fraud (by either of you), it can say adultery (spouse). It will state you guys lived together from x to y dates (and your lease will support that), it will list out all your assets and debts. You will want to write a statement about the relationship/marriage how it started/how it ended. Your evidence seems about average however you should look through ROC threads and see what other people submitted to see if you have it. If you dont and you see it is a repeated item all you have to do is address it in your letter. Ex- we didnt have children because she has 4 older kids/is older and it would have been risky/financial concerns- whatever it is. 

Please stop harassing her and focus on getting a divorce and collecting ROC evidence. (I didnt read all 6 pages of this thread-sorry-Ive seen bits and pieces as you posted though and I do understand youre worried about ROC. Dont drive yourself crazy with hypothetical scenarios and focus on what is actually happening right now) Best of luck to you! :)

"Do not make concessions in the divorce because you feel you 'need it' for ROC" can you please explain what you mean with this ?

"but immigration has provisions for such a situation" also this part please?

i live i Washington state and it is a "NO-FAULT" state when it comes to divorce so i don't think if they would care if it's adultery or not. also wouldn't my attempt to prove the adultery make my divorce take longer ? clear me on this if possible please

thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/29/2018 at 7:28 PM, Tunisian_tunisia said:

she asked me to stop hacking into her social media i said i'll if you stop talking to the guy you cheated  with but she said that it is her personal business and i can't tell her to stop her personal things.

Stop doing this.  Seriously.  Stop before you continue this/do other things and you find yourself getting slapped with a harassment charge or protection order from her which will further complicate your immigration.  Since the two of you are going through a divorce now, she's absolutely correct in telling you it's her personal business.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Going through said:

Stop doing this.  Seriously.  Stop before you continue this/do other things and you find yourself getting slapped with a harassment charge or protection order from her which will further complicate your immigration.  Since the two of you are going through a divorce now, she's absolutely correct in telling you it's her personal business.

I wasn't literally hacking, but the thing is that i take care of all electronic devices and social media accounts in our house including hers. So i make all passwords in the house even hers that's how i can access everything and she already knows. But really thank you for informing about these two things.

26 minutes ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

I wasn't literally hacking, but the thing is that i take care of all electronic devices and social media accounts in our house including hers. So i make all passwords in the house even hers that's how i can access everything and she already knows. But really thank you for informing about these two things.

Unauthorized access of her personal information and/or using her identity without her consent.

It's not hacking, but that's a distinction without a difference.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

7 hours ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

"Do not make concessions in the divorce because you feel you 'need it' for ROC" can you please explain what you mean with this ?

"but immigration has provisions for such a situation" also this part please?

i live i Washington state and it is a "NO-FAULT" state when it comes to divorce so i don't think if they would care if it's adultery or not. also wouldn't my attempt to prove the adultery make my divorce take longer ? clear me on this if possible please

thank you

Do not give her something in the divorce just to try and make yourself look better.  Just handle the divorce as if you have no immigration issues. 

Since you're in a no fault state, stop worrying about her adultry.  

Immigration will keep your case open and active as long as it takes to get your final divorce decree but it will cost you more time and money if you take longer. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Guys, would filing jointly while separated possible ? she suggested if i want to wait until we file ROC to divorce. she means after the whole ROC process is done.

i can trust her at the interview if there is one. but my ROC filing won't be due until end of June. 

do you think this doable ? and what risks am i running ? is it a good idea ? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
42 minutes ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

Guys, would filing jointly while separated possible ? she suggested if i want to wait until we file ROC to divorce. she means after the whole ROC process is done.

i can trust her at the interview if there is one. but my ROC filing won't be due until end of June. 

do you think this doable ? and what risks am i running ? is it a good idea ? 

You can file while separated, however you MUST disclose in your ROC submission that you are separated/going through a divorce yet still legally married.  If you don't let USCIS know that you are indeed separated while filing a joint ROC, then you are misrepresenting yourself---and if/when they find out this info later you are down a very tricky road since the initial approval would have been given without the IO aware of all of the facts.

You will get an interview after disclosing to USCIS that you two are separated....and to be honest, I would suggest filing with the divorce waiver instead of choosing to submit the petition jointly. 

She may be in a good mood now and saying she'll be supportive----but things happen, life happens, people's moods change depending on what's going on at the moment----a year or so down the road when it's time for the interview she might very well end up tanking it completely on purpose because you two are arguing over the separation/divorce/etc. and she just feels like being vindictive in the moment (Note:  if she doesn't show up for the interview, you can switch to the divorce waiver then....but say she DOES show up, and then says something completely detrimental about your case then you're up a creek with no paddle...it's happened before, so be warned.) 

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.