Tunisian_tunisia

Divorce on conditional GC (merged)

100 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

Where you going theough the same situation as i’am right now when you divorced?! 

No.  We didn't divorce because we weren't married.  We were common-law and in Canada that doesn't require a divorce.  But you do have rights when you separate, and we had a child together so it was important for me to find out what my rights were and the best way to handle our child's custody. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

2 hours ago, geowrian said:

I wouldn't sweat too much about counseling as it relates to immigration. I think it would be the wisest decision mentally/emotionally. Counseling isn't always to just get back together/work things out. Sometimes it's to help handle the changes going on in your life as a result. It's not like regular, individual counseling with a therapist...but it isn't just to get back together either.

The individual therapist sounds like a healthy decision as well.

Best wishes.

I agree.  My ex and I also saw a counselor so we could appropriately discuss our separation with our child.   My mother is a HUGE fan of counselling for self healing and I've used it to help with depression I've developed since being in the USA.  I think individual counselling for the OP would a good thing since this is a very hard time for him. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline
1 hour ago, NikLR said:

I agree.  My ex and I also saw a counselor so we could appropriately discuss our separation with our child.   My mother is a HUGE fan of counselling for self healing and I've used it to help with depression I've developed since being in the USA.  I think individual counselling for the OP would a good thing since this is a very hard time for him. 

Thank you for sharing this. I’ll try to hold on until we see a counselor as i really need someone to hear me and her at the same time. But are the laws the same in canada and the states?! And what’s an OP?!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

And what’s an OP?!

Original Poster

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

But are the laws the same in canada and the states?!

Different countries, different laws...although some can be quite similar.  In both countries, you do have rights immigration-wise and marital-wise.  Regardless of whether or not counselling will help you prove a bonafide marriage, its still in your best interest to seek it out for yourself in moving on from your marriage.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
1 hour ago, Going through said:

Different countries, different laws...although some can be quite similar.  In both countries, you do have rights immigration-wise and marital-wise.  Regardless of whether or not counselling will help you prove a bonafide marriage, its still in your best interest to seek it out for yourself in moving on from your marriage.

I understand thank you so much

Timeline
On 11/23/2018 at 10:54 AM, geowrian said:

Sure, some people are denied ROC, but that is by far not the norm...no idea where you're hearing so many horror stories.

It's not suspicious at all. ROC explicitly has a process for handling this circumstance.

There are many, many cases on VJ of people completing ROC after a divorce.

USCIS data set: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/Reports and Studies/Immigration Forms Data/All Form Types/Quarterly_All_Forms_FY18Q3.pdf

I-751 (ROC) has a 95% approval rate. The denials are likely administrative (like not responding to an RFE) or due to crimes IMO.

If denied, you can refile up until an immigration judge removes you.

If you challenge a denial with the immigration judge, you get yet another shot to prove your case.

I don't have stats on how often ROC ultimately results in removal due to lack of not having a bona fide marriage, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the 1% or less range.

Can i please know where did you get the information that ROC have 95% approval rate?!

Timeline
3 hours ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

Can i please know where did you get the information that ROC have 95% approval rate?!

By dividing "Approved" by "Approved" plus "Denied" https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/Reports and Studies/Immigration Forms Data/All Form Types/Quarterly_All_Forms_FY18Q3.pdf Lets look at the 1st Quarter (October 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017) of Fiscal Year 2018. During that period there were 23,402 approved I-751 petitions and 1,342 denied. 23402/(23402+1342)=0.9457646298=94.57646298%≈95%

Edited by TM92

Timeline
8 minutes ago, TM92 said:

and 1,342 denied

And worst case scenario if a I-751 is denied, then another one can be submitted. That is allowed since only an Immigration Judge (not USCIS Officer) can revoke Lawful Permanent Resident status.

Edited by TM92

20 minutes ago, TM92 said:

By dividing "Approved" by "Approved" plus "Denied" https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/Reports and Studies/Immigration Forms Data/All Form Types/Quarterly_All_Forms_FY18Q3.pdf Lets look at the 1st Quarter (October 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017) of Fiscal Year 2018. During that period there were 23,402 approved I-751 petitions and 1,342 denied. 23402/(23402+1342)=0.9457646298=94.57646298%≈95%

Exactly, thanks!

I actually did the calculation for the 3 quarters available, which also came out to 95%.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
5 minutes ago, geowrian said:

which also came out to 95%.

Coincidence? Let me put on my tin foil hat:jest:

conspiracy.jpg

Timeline
1 hour ago, TM92 said:

And worst case scenario if a I-751 is denied, then another one can be submitted. That is allowed since only an Immigration Judge (not USCIS Officer) can revoke Lawful Permanent Resident status.

Would it be submitted same way with same evidence?!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

I'll defer the question to @geowrian:

On 11/23/2018 at 10:54 AM, geowrian said:

If denied, you can refile up until an immigration judge removes you.

If you challenge a denial with the immigration judge, you get yet another shot to prove your case.

I don't have stats on how often ROC ultimately results in removal due to lack of not having a bona fide marriage, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the 1% or less range.

He knows more than me.

4 minutes ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

It can be...but filing the same form with the same evidence will likely have the same result.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
23 minutes ago, geowrian said:

It can be...but filing the same form with the same evidence will likely have the same result.

What would lead a ROC case to be denied?! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.