Tunisian_tunisia

Divorce on conditional GC (merged)

100 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

i confronted her last night, after catching her on her way to cheat with the other guy. She admitted it but blamed it on me. To be honest, i'm emotionally broken right now, but i just wanted to share this so maybe someone will give me some advice or make me aware of what i should do next. I don't know if she will file for divorce or she will just run away, but currently i moved in with her parents and they are waiting on her to show up so they have a conversation with her.They are way beyond angry with her and they offered me all the support i might need. I'm filled with anger and hurt and at this point and i don't care what she does, all i care about that i don't want to end up the on who gets cheated on and on top of that have my residency at risk, especially that i'm a student and i definitely have a future here.

thank

Edited by Tunisian_tunisia

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
20 hours ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

To be honest, i'm emotionally broken right now, but i just wanted to share this so maybe someone will give me some advice or make me aware of what i should do next. I don't know if she will file for divorce or she will just run away, but currently i moved in with her parents and they are waiting on her to show up so they have a conversation with her.

You don't have to wait for her to be the one to file for divorce---you can file for divorce first.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
3 hours ago, Going through said:

You don't have to wait for her to be the one to file for divorce---you can file for divorce first.

Would that matter if i file first or she files first?!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

Does not matter

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Timeline

Update: we talked with her parents and they know she cheated, but to be honest with you guys, i didn’t want to end the relationship before we go to counseling. I want to have the counseling proof that i tried to work on my marriage because i really am trying. She agreed to go but The fact that she cheated is really just making me wanna go away and divorce her, but i just want an evidence to show to the immigration officer that even tho she cheated i was still willing to work on our relationship.

Hopefully some progress is made in counseling...whether that ends up being a divorce or not, it is a wise move either way IMO.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

3 hours ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

Generally speaking the one who files first has the upper hand. 

For ROC purposes it doesnt matter.  

You've been told MULTIPLE times that her cheating has ZERO effect on your ROC.  It sucks that your wife didn't love you enough to remain faithful.  I'm sorry you had to go through all that pain.  Again the USCIS does NOT care why thr marriage ended, only that you entered with good faith.  You have more than enough evidence of that and your immigration status shouldnt be a concern for you at this point.  What you should be doing is talking to a divorce attorney and finding a way to live on your own away from your in-laws and soon to be ex-wife. Get your evidence and move on so you can be happy. 

Edit:  you can try counselling if you want but in my experience, once a partner is unfaithful, it is extremely difficult for a marriage to continue.  But you can choose for yourself. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
7 hours ago, NikLR said:

Generally speaking the one who files first has the upper hand. 

For ROC purposes it doesnt matter.  

You've been told MULTIPLE times that her cheating has ZERO effect on your ROC.  It sucks that your wife didn't love you enough to remain faithful.  I'm sorry you had to go through all that pain.  Again the USCIS does NOT care why thr marriage ended, only that you entered with good faith.  You have more than enough evidence of that and your immigration status shouldnt be a concern for you at this point.  What you should be doing is talking to a divorce attorney and finding a way to live on your own away from your in-laws and soon to be ex-wife. Get your evidence and move on so you can be happy. 

Edit:  you can try counselling if you want but in my experience, once a partner is unfaithful, it is extremely difficult for a marriage to continue.  But you can choose for yourself. 

do i need to consult a divorce attorney ? can't i file divorce papers on my own ? I want to try counseling for two reasons: 1- to try and work things out 2- if things didn't wokout i can add the counseling report to my proof of bonafide 

9 hours ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

When i file for ROC after divorce, do i have to attach an explanation to why the relationship ended ?

No

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

9 hours ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

do i need to consult a divorce attorney ? can't i file divorce papers on my own ? I want to try counseling for two reasons: 1- to try and work things out 2- if things didn't wokout i can add the counseling report to my proof of bonafide 

You can but at least a consultation would make sure everything is correct.

I consulted a divorce attorney when my ex and I broke up and we werent married. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, NikLR said:

You can but at least a consultation would make sure everything is correct.

I consulted a divorce attorney when my ex and I broke up and we werent married. 

Where you going theough the same situation as i’am right now when you divorced?! 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
On 11/24/2018 at 10:36 AM, Tunisian_tunisia said:

i confronted her last night, after catching her on her way to cheat with the other guy. She admitted it but blamed it on me. To be honest, i'm emotionally broken right now, but i just wanted to share this so maybe someone will give me some advice or make me aware of what i should do next. I don't know if she will file for divorce or she will just run away, but currently i moved in with her parents and they are waiting on her to show up so they have a conversation with her.They are way beyond angry with her and they offered me all the support i might need. I'm filled with anger and hurt and at this point and i don't care what she does, all i care about that i don't want to end up the on who gets cheated on and on top of that have my residency at risk, especially that i'm a student and i definitely have a future here.

thank

Sorry that you have to go through this like I did a few months ago. I filed for the divorce while my ROC is pending. Haven't heard anything back yet. But hope for the best!

I'm glad your in-laws are supportive. The first reaction my former in-law had when he heard us going through separation (long before divorce) was "Come and visit your cousins. They are waiting to marry you!"

Timeline

Guys, I’m really angry and emotionally broken, i feel like I don’t even want to get her back. How good of a proof is counseling?! Because to be honest, I think I’m starting to be depressed, i missed work, i missed school I didn’t eat or drink in over 3 days, i have sleep issues and I don’t want to meet or talk to anyone with constant feeling of self blame and pain and wanting to cry all the time. She booked an appointment for dec 10 for counseling  but I don’t know i can hold on to that date i keep getting broken more and more each day. Please tell me how good of a proof is counseling?! I think I’m gonna go to a therapist too, my condition is getting worse each day 

I wouldn't sweat too much about counseling as it relates to immigration. I think it would be the wisest decision mentally/emotionally. Counseling isn't always to just get back together/work things out. Sometimes it's to help handle the changes going on in your life as a result. It's not like regular, individual counseling with a therapist...but it isn't just to get back together either.

The individual therapist sounds like a healthy decision as well.

Best wishes.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.