Tunisian_tunisia

Divorce on conditional GC (merged)

100 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hi guys, i really need help

I'm on a conditional GC, i came to the states on a K1 visa. i'll be filing for removal of condition in juin 2019. 

Me and my wife have been having some issues, but would always work them out, Recently things got worse and she asked me to leave the house and give her some space, which i did. i'm currently living with her parents and they know what is going on. The thing that i learned form her parents is that she have depression issues since she was a kid which i had no clue about. her parents told me that she needs therapy, so i'm working on getting a marriage counselor and also getting her to go to a therapist to get some medication. even tho i have been out of the house, i was still paying her rent and paying all the bills just so we don;t lose the apartment and also because i thought this is just temporary and we will eventually work things out. 

what chocked today, is that i got access to her social media and i found out that she was also talking to another guy since 5 days ago, and that also her friend  from ( a female) is having her out every weekend so they can meet other guys. 

given the fact that i was having all the good intentions to keep this marriage going but she took advantages of my efforts to cheat on me, now i'm really concerned about renewing my green card. I'm really so scared that divorcing her will result in me not getting my 10 years GC. i'm a student currently and i also work to pay the bills while she stays at home. i'm honestly busting my butt since day 1 to make a good living for the family. also, her parents are 100% on my side and said that i should confront her about her cheating and stop paying her rent and bills. but to be honest with you guys, i really don't want to do this and lose my chance to remove my condition. please help

*~*~*moved from “removing conditions” to “effects of major changes” where similar topics are discussed*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

You can remove conditions with a divorce waiver if your divorce is finalized by the time you are at the stage of ROC. You will need to demonstrate that you entered into the marriage in good faith and that the marriage was bona fide but has broken down.

It’s water under the bridge now but your story (and many others that go through similar things) shoes the importance of really getting to know someone before marriage. Either she’s a very good actress or you didn’t really know her beforehand. Depression to the extent that it causes a marital breakdown is not easily hidden. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

now i'm really concerned about renewing my green card. I'm really so scared that divorcing her will result in me not getting my 10 years GC.

You can still get a 10 year GC after a divorce is finalized; this is very common: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/divorce-your-conditional-residence-status-how-file-divorce-waiver-with-form-i-751.html

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, JFH said:

You can remove conditions with a divorce waiver if your divorce is finalized by the time you are at the stage of ROC. You will need to demonstrate that you entered into the marriage in good faith and that the marriage was bona fide but has broken down.

It’s water under the bridge now but your story (and many others that go through similar things) shoes the importance of really getting to know someone before marriage. Either she’s a very good actress or you didn’t really know her beforehand. Depression to the extent that it causes a marital breakdown is not easily hidden. 

we knew each long time before marriage, from what i have seen she have mood swings but they never been this bad, and ia ctually accepted the fact that thst's her character and the way she is. Her mom suffers from depression and is on medication too but i couldn't take her mom seriously because she just told me that as long as she is on medication her daughter should be too because it's genetic. that just didn't convince me. i'm not really big on the idea that her depression ruined the marriage, i do understand that i probably have something to do with this relation being on the edge of ending. i'm not trying to blame it all on my spouse. i'm just concerned about the fact of what will happen after divorce ? what are my chances to get a 10 years GC ? are they low ? i know you said i have to show that the marriage was bonafide and i have papers showing joint ownership in almost everything, but would the fact that she cheated and resulted in ending the marriage make the immigration officer understand why the marriage ended ? PS:  i have screen shots of her cheating in text messages

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

i'm just concerned about the fact of what will happen after divorce ? what are my chances to get a 10 years GC ? are they low ? i know you said i have to show that the marriage was bonafide and i have papers showing joint ownership in almost everything, but would the fact that she cheated and resulted in ending the marriage make the immigration officer understand why the marriage ended ? PS:  i have screen shots of her cheating in text messages

No need to worry; like I already said, getting a 10 year GC after divorce is very common.

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

They are not interested in why the marriage ended. They are interested in your reasons for entering into the marriage in the first place. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
13 minutes ago, JFH said:

They are not interested in why the marriage ended. They are interested in your reasons for entering into the marriage in the first place. 

How do i prove that ??

3 minutes ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

How do i prove that ??

That it was a marriage for love, not immigration benefit. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, JFH said:

That it was a marriage for love, not immigration benefit. 

that's the case actually, i have text message asking her to go to counseling and she is refusing, i have alot of texts showing that i'm really really trying to work things out. i don't know what kind of other proofs do i need

Timeline

Hi guys, i really need help

I'm on a conditional GC, i came to the states on a K1 visa. i'll be filing for removal of condition in juin 2019. 

Me and my wife have been having some issues, but would always work them out, Recently things got worse and she asked me to leave the house and give her some space, which i did. i'm currently living with her parents and they know what is going on. i'm working on getting a marriage counselor. even tho i have been out of the house, i was still paying her rent and paying all the bills just so we don;t lose the apartment and also because i thought this is just temporary and we will eventually work things out. 

what chocked today, is that i got access to her social media and i found out that she was also talking to another guy since 5 days ago, and that also her friend  from ( a female) is having her out every weekend so they can meet other guys. 

given the fact that i was having all the good intentions to keep this marriage going but she took advantages of my efforts to cheat on me, now i'm really concerned about renewing my green card. I'm really so scared that divorcing her will result in me not getting my 10 years GC. i'm a student currently and i also work to pay the bills while she stays at home. i'm honestly busting my butt since day 1 to make a good living for the family. also, her parents are 100% on my side and said that i should confront her about her cheating and stop paying her rent and bills. but to be honest with you guys, i really don't want to do this and lose my chance to remove my condition. please help

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

leave her sorry ###. you can file with divorce waiver. i hope you printed out all that stuff

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

that's the case actually, i have text message asking her to go to counseling and she is refusing, i have alot of texts showing that i'm really really trying to work things out. i don't know what kind of other proofs do i need

That you financially commingled your assets after marriage and intended to live together in marital union.

Save the text messages and the drama.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

leave her sorry ###. you can file with divorce waiver. i hope you printed out all that stuff

What are my chances of getting my 10 years GC after divorce ? i'm worried about that. i can access those evidence and print them out in the mean time, but can anyone tell me what kind of evidence i need exactly ? 

but especially i want to know what are my chances of getting my 10 yrs gc

we are married since feb 2017

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, Tunisian_tunisia said:

What are my chances of getting my 10 years GC after divorce ? i'm worried about that. i can access those evidence and print them out in the mean time, but can anyone tell me what kind of evidence i need exactly ? 

but especially i want to know what are my chances of getting my 10 yrs gc

we are married since feb 2017

all you need to do is file with a divorce waiver. you want that evidence for your divorce ATTORNEY (and can also use it to help prove why the marriage didnt work out)

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.