amapru

US citizen petitioner present at interview

19 posts in this topic

I don’t know if this topic has been addressed in any way before, but my question is: can the U.S. Citizen petitioner be present/request to be present at the consulate interview along with the beneficiary spouse. This is pertaining IR1/CR1 I-130 spouse visa and the interview will be at Mumbai Consulate.

Thanks in advance for any insight/information.

36 minutes ago, amapru said:

I don’t know if this topic has been addressed in any way before, but my question is: can the U.S. Citizen petitioner be present/request to be present at the consulate interview along with the beneficiary spouse. This is pertaining IR1/CR1 I-130 spouse visa and the interview will be at Mumbai Consulate.

It all depends on which country the interview is held in. Some countries allow it but some do not allow it. 

I am sorry I didn't fully answer your question but I know someone will come along from India and help you out.

3 hours ago, amapru said:

In India you can go with your spouse at the interview but it is not necessary ,completely your own choice.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I showed up at the embassy to support my husband in jamaica. Wish I didn't because a stoke interview was then d.o.n.e splitting us up and interviewing us separately.  They even asked me what I was doing there. Our case in administrative processing, they kept husband passport, but they asked us so much questions I'm not sure what the outcome will be.

Timeline
3 hours ago, amapru said:

A friend of mines went to india to support her husband but did not enter embassy but was there just in case petioner was needed. Her husband is now in the USA, he recieved the visa a week later after interview. 

38 minutes ago, Mr & Mrs said:

In India you can go with your spouse at the interview but it is not necessary ,completely your own choice.

Ok. Asking just so if it’s allowed and doesn’t create unforeseen issues with me being there, then I can help her prepare for interview and most of all provide moral support

23 minutes ago, Ywjammin30 said:

I showed up at the embassy to support my husband in jamaica. Wish I didn't because a stoke interview was then d.o.n.e splitting us up and interviewing us separately.  They even asked me what I was doing there. Our case in administrative processing, they kept husband passport, but they asked us so much questions I'm not sure what the outcome will be.

Oh. I guess I wouldn’t want to create an issue that wouldn’t have been if Im not there. I understand the whole point of interview is for the beneficiary being quizzed. I was hoping if I’m allowed then I could answer questions relating to AOS / our small scale marriage that is if they end up asking such questions at all. Difficult choice to make since there’s no actual preference/requirement regarding this from the embassy 

2 minutes ago, amapru said:

Oh. I guess I wouldn’t want to create an issue that wouldn’t have been if Im not there. I understand the whole point of interview is for the beneficiary being quizzed. I was hoping if I’m allowed then I could answer questions relating to AOS / our small scale marriage that is if they end up asking such questions at all. Difficult choice to make since there’s no actual preference/requirement regarding this from the embassy 

Yes , you can just go and sit inside the embassy with her but don't go at the window with your spouse unless they ask for it .

Timeline
7 hours ago, Mr & Mrs said:

Yes , you can just go and sit inside the embassy with her but don't go at the window with your spouse unless they ask for it .

Yup. My mistake.  I was so eager to get this process over and done with.  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I live here in the Philippines with my fiance and I plan to go to the interview with her.  I have read some posts from the petitioners that attended the interview with the beneficiary here in the Philippines.  The Consular even asked the petitioner a few questions and asked for some documents from the petitioner.  When I go to the interview with my fiance I know I have to bring a NBI Clearance and proof of my "intent to re-establish domicile" because I've been living here in the Philippines for over 3 years na.

AOS Timeline (I-485, I-765, I-131)

12/28/2019:  Packages sent to USCIS via Fedex

12/30/2019:  USCIS received packages

1/08/2020:  NOA for all 3 applications

1/17/2020:  Received biometrics appt letter for the I-485 and I-765 (Code 3). 

1/31/2020:  Biometrics completed

2/20/2020:  RFE

6/15/2020:  Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview

6/15/2020:  I-765 (New Card is Being Produced)

6/30/2020:  Received Combo Card in the Mail

4/22/2021:  AOS Interview

4/26/2021:  AOS Approval

4/29/2021:  Permanent Resident Card received in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
9 hours ago, Ywjammin30 said:

Yup. My mistake.  I was so eager to get this process over and done with.  

Being too eager with Immigration is a red flag. It is like you are directing their thoughts to what you want them to think. Sitting quietly directly behind (if possible) those classy windows at Embassies so you make eye contact with the IO is a great idea. I think it is a great idea to go. (They are 'usually' pretty good to US Citizen Petitioners because we can complain about bad treatment to our Senators etc...).

Good to see India allows. Kenya Embassy refused my spouse to come with me. (security was the reason given which is baloney)

Timeline
4 minutes ago, NYCruiser said:

Being too eager with Immigration is a red flag. It is like you are directing their thoughts to what you want them to think. Sitting quietly directly behind (if possible) those classy windows at Embassies so you make eye contact with the IO is a great idea. I think it is a great idea to go. (They are 'usually' pretty good to US Citizen Petitioners because we can complain about bad treatment to our Senators etc...).

Good to see India allows. Kenya Embassy refused my spouse to come with me. (security was the reason given which is baloney)

Yea, I'm aware of my mistakes now. Still waiting to see outcome. Hoping for the best. I appreciate your comment.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.