Sophie & TJ

B2 Visa denied for parents for my wedding on K1

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

My parents got denied for their B2 Visa application in Nov, I don't know if they should apply for it again. Wish to get some advice here.

I got my K1 Visa in Nov, and my fiancé wrote an invitation letter for my parents for their B2 Visa application, because we want to invite them to come to US for our wedding in March 2019.

Because my parents income is not good, so my fiancé said he gonna pay for their expenses for their plane tickets, hotel room and food etc. in the invitation.

Here are the Q&A: (might not in same order)

VO: Purpose of visiting US?

Dad: To attend my daughter's wedding.

VO: Can I see her passport?

Dad: yes.(And then showed VO my passport with K1 Visa and my dad also give him the invitation letter and some pics of us with my fiancé)

VO: How many children do you have?

Dad: Only 1.

VO: How many days do you go to work every weekend?

Dad: 5 days, from Monday to Friday.

VO: Where do you live?

Dad: We live in Beijing.

VO: Sorry I can't give you visa.

So I want my parents to try to apply for B2 Visa again because I really want them to come to my wedding.

I want my parents to tell VO that they won't stay in America illegally because they know that would have bad influence for my status in US.

Also my fiancé booked the plane ticket for me to proof that I am going US to marry him. And he also booked the plane ticket because he will come to China to pick me up.

I don't know what else I can do to help...I wish someone can give me some advice...

Or should I just give it up and ask my parents to apply for tourist visa when I get Green card? :(

Thank you!

Sorry to hear about the denial. Many of us that did K-1 had similar experiences.

33 minutes ago, Sophie & TJ said:

So I want my parents to try to apply for B2 Visa again because I really want them to come to my wedding.

They're free to do so, but without a change in circumstances, don't expect a different decision. It's basically asking the CO to overrule their colleague by applying so soon and no change.

33 minutes ago, Sophie & TJ said:

I want my parents to tell VO that they won't stay in America illegally because they know that would have bad influence for my status in US.

It would have no effect on your status in the US and therefore has no basis on their decision.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

How long are the planning on staying in the US?

Obviously the fact that they can't support themselves enough to pay for their own trip doesn't go in their favor.

If you apply again without a significant change in circumstances it'll get denied again.

Hi @Sophie & TJ

Unfortunately,  this happens often. The downside of destination weddings is that some family may not be able to attend the ceremony. Add in immigration into the mix and the chances of people attending decreases even more.

To be honest, they can apply again, but they will likely have the same results. The VO wasn't convinced they have sufficient ties to the US.

You parents telling the VO they will return does not mean anything. Anybody can simply say they will return. (Btw, even if your parents overstay in America, it would not have any impact on your K1 visa, so the claim your parents were going to make would not have helped anyway).That is why you parents brought evidence to support their claim. But there have been too many people in the past who said they would return back home and end up staying in America. That is why many people from other countries can't get a tourist visa with ease.

Also, the golden rule is to never book reservations before a visa is issued. Because visas are not guaranteed and actually, it is not substantial proof. The reason why is because the VO wants to see why the applicant must return to their home country. Not why they want to go to the US.

The K1 is has many restrictions and we always advise people who are adamant about having foreign family attend the wedding to get married in their home country then file the CR1. Since you are past that, they still have options. They can apply again, but like I already said before, it will likely be the same result because nothing has changed in their circumstance. The best option is for them to wait for you to complete the K1 and AOS process in the US, then you and your love can have a ceremony in China.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Sophie & TJ said:

Hello Everyone,

My parents got denied for their B2 Visa application in Nov, I don't know if they should apply for it again. Wish to get some advice here.

I got my K1 Visa in Nov, and my fiancé wrote an invitation letter for my parents for their B2 Visa application, because we want to invite them to come to US for our wedding in March 2019.

Because my parents income is not good, so my fiancé said he gonna pay for their expenses for their plane tickets, hotel room and food etc. in the invitation.

Here are the Q&A: (might not in same order)

VO: Purpose of visiting US?

Dad: To attend my daughter's wedding.

VO: Can I see her passport?

Dad: yes.(And then showed VO my passport with K1 Visa and my dad also give him the invitation letter and some pics of us with my fiancé)

VO: How many children do you have?

Dad: Only 1.

VO: How many days do you go to work every weekend?

Dad: 5 days, from Monday to Friday.

VO: Where do you live?

Dad: We live in Beijing.

VO: Sorry I can't give you visa.

Also my fiancé booked the plane ticket for me to proof that I am going US to marry him. And he also booked the plane ticket because he will come to China to pick me up.

I don't know what else I can do to help...I wish someone can give me some advice...

Or should I just give it up and ask my parents to apply for tourist visa when I get Green card? :(

Thank you!

long story short, you cant do anything. they have to obtain the visa on their own based on their own merits

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Timeline
20 hours ago, geowrian said:

Sorry to hear about the denial. Many of us that did K-1 had similar experiences.

They're free to do so, but without a change in circumstances, don't expect a different decision. It's basically asking the CO to overrule their colleague by applying so soon and no change.

It would have no effect on your status in the US and therefore has no basis on their decision.

Thank you for your explanation.

So now I am wondering when it would be a good time for them to apply the visa for visiting me in the US? They are both almost 55 years old and I don't think their circumstances would change too much...

Timeline
20 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

Hi @Sophie & TJ

Unfortunately,  this happens often. The downside of destination weddings is that some family may not be able to attend the ceremony. Add in immigration into the mix and the chances of people attending decreases even more.

To be honest, they can apply again, but they will likely have the same results. The VO wasn't convinced they have sufficient ties to the US.

You parents telling the VO they will return does not mean anything. Anybody can simply say they will return. (Btw, even if your parents overstay in America, it would not have any impact on your K1 visa, so the claim your parents were going to make would not have helped anyway).That is why you parents brought evidence to support their claim. But there have been too many people in the past who said they would return back home and end up staying in America. That is why many people from other countries can't get a tourist visa with ease.

Also, the golden rule is to never book reservations before a visa is issued. Because visas are not guaranteed and actually, it is not substantial proof. The reason why is because the VO wants to see why the applicant must return to their home country. Not why they want to go to the US.

The K1 is has many restrictions and we always advise people who are adamant about having foreign family attend the wedding to get married in their home country then file the CR1. Since you are past that, they still have options. They can apply again, but like I already said before, it will likely be the same result because nothing has changed in their circumstance. The best option is for them to wait for you to complete the K1 and AOS process in the US, then you and your love can have a ceremony in China.

Thank you very much for your explanation. I feel better after reading your comments actually.

So now I am wondering when it would be a good time for them to apply the visa for visiting me in the US?

They are both almost 55 years old and I don't think their circumstances would change too much in their life...

Do you think it would be easier if I got married and got Green card then invite them to come to visit? 

Timeline
20 hours ago, thatguyuknow said:

How long are the planning on staying in the US?

Obviously the fact that they can't support themselves enough to pay for their own trip doesn't go in their favor.

If you apply again without a significant change in circumstances it'll get denied again.

We were planning to invite my parents stay in US for 2 weeks.

Yea if they pay everything for themselves in the US and the plane tickets, that would be a lot for them. We thought if my fiancé wrote an invitation and said he would pay their expenses, then the VO wouldn't deny them for not having too much money.

Maybe we won't apply again too soon. Thanks for your advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
20 hours ago, Sophie & TJ said:

We thought if my fiancé wrote an invitation and said he would pay their expenses, then the VO wouldn't deny them for not having too much money.

Invitation letters generally tend to do more harm than good.

On 11/22/2018 at 4:42 AM, Sophie & TJ said:

Here's the thing...by your fiance writing a letter basically stating he's willing to foot to the bill for all of their expenses, it can also give a CO the impression that he'd be able to continue/be willing to foot the bill for them if they ended up overstaying....this is what I mean above when saying invitation letters can sometimes harm the person's chance to be approved for a tourist visa.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Timeline

We have been married 30 years(wife came on a K1) Anyway her niece and family would like to come for a visit with us footing the bills. My wife told her it would be a waste of time for her to apply. Niece said write a letter. I told her that was useless. Niece has actually been in US 3 or 4 times. But her circumstances are vastly different now. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
25 minutes ago, LEISEROM said:

We have been married 30 years(wife came on a K1) Anyway her niece and family would like to come for a visit with us footing the bills. My wife told her it would be a waste of time for her to apply. Niece said write a letter. I told her that was useless. Niece has actually been in US 3 or 4 times. But her circumstances are vastly different now. 

I would imagine many people like the idea of somebody else footing the bills.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 11/22/2018 at 10:29 PM, Sophie & TJ said:

Thank you for your explanation.

So now I am wondering when it would be a good time for them to apply the visa for visiting me in the US? They are both almost 55 years old and I don't think their circumstances would change too much...

You can petition for them to come after you become a citizen, they aren't that old so you have time. In the mean time just go visit them once you get your green card. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 11/22/2018 at 10:41 PM, Sophie & TJ said:

We were planning to invite my parents stay in US for 2 weeks.

Yea if they pay everything for themselves in the US and the plane tickets, that would be a lot for them. We thought if my fiancé wrote an invitation and said he would pay their expenses, then the VO wouldn't deny them for not having too much money.

Maybe we won't apply again too soon. Thanks for your advice.

Wouldn't it be better to give them the money to put into their accounts..maybe that will help (doubtful though, just a thought). I'm sure they are looking at a bigger picture. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, javadown2 said:

Wouldn't it be better to give them the money to put into their accounts..maybe that will help (doubtful though, just a thought). I'm sure they are looking at a bigger picture. 

I am sure the Consulate have never come across that

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.