Jump to content
owodee

Travel to Nigeria on EAD/AP combo card ok?

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone. I have an EAD/AP (Advanced Parole) combo card and I am hoping to travelling to Nigeria in a few weeks. I really want to go, and I have a few specific questions
 
1. What are my options if for any reason I get denied entry to the US at port of entry? also what are my options if as I leave Nigeria, I am not allowed to board the plane. Could the travel officers in Nigeria not recognize the EAD/AP combo card as a valid travel document? 
 
2. I have another question about unlawful presence in the US. I was initially on a H1. I applied for a change of status from a H1 to a B2 in September 2017. This B2 got approved in June 2018. The approval dates for the B2 are from 10/02/2018 - 04/01/2019. whilst the B2 was pending My wife and I applied for a green card through marriage in April 2018. Is there any chance of my being held from entry, when trying to come in to the US, for unlawful presence in the US? Specifically with regards to my wait for approval of B2 status between September 2017 and April 2018.
 
Thank you!
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, owodee said:
also what are my options if as I leave Nigeria, I am not allowed to board the plane. Could the travel officers in Nigeria not recognize the EAD/AP combo card as a valid travel document?

If the airline check-in staff don't recognize it ask for a supervisor. Worst case scenario you will have to rebook with a more knowledgeable airline.

43 minutes ago, owodee said:
I was initially on a H1. I applied for a change of status from a H1 to a B2 in September 2017. This B2 got approved in June 2018. The approval dates for the B2 are from 10/02/2018 - 04/01/2019. whilst the B2 was pending My wife and I applied for a green card through marriage in April 2018. Is there any chance of my being held from entry, when trying to come in to the US, for unlawful presence in the US? Specifically with regards to my wait for approval of B2 status between September 2017 and April 2018.

You did not have unlawful presence. Between September 2017 and April 2018 you had "authorized stay" while the I-539 was processing.

49 minutes ago, owodee said:
What are my options if for any reason I get denied entry to the US at port of entry?

Odds of being denied entry are low*.

*Obligatory disclaimer that only US Citizens are guaranteed entry to the US


Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, owodee said:
Hello everyone. I have an EAD/AP (Advanced Parole) combo card and I am hoping to travelling to Nigeria in a few weeks. I really want to go, and I have a few specific questions
 
1. What are my options if for any reason I get denied entry to the US at port of entry? also what are my options if as I leave Nigeria, I am not allowed to board the plane. Could the travel officers in Nigeria not recognize the EAD/AP combo card as a valid travel document? 
 
2. I have another question about unlawful presence in the US. I was initially on a H1. I applied for a change of status from a H1 to a B2 in September 2017. This B2 got approved in June 2018. The approval dates for the B2 are from 10/02/2018 - 04/01/2019. whilst the B2 was pending My wife and I applied for a green card through marriage in April 2018. Is there any chance of my being held from entry, when trying to come in to the US, for unlawful presence in the US? Specifically with regards to my wait for approval of B2 status between September 2017 and April 2018.
 
Thank you!
 
 

1. If you get denied at a port of entry by CBP that would be for something very serous (certain crimes, illegal entry, material misrepresentation, etc). Nothing from your post seems so concerning as to potentially warrant a denial at a PoE. If an airline refuses to fly you, the worst case scenario would be to fly to a third country first and then board a more reasonable airline. As far as the US is concerned, the EAD/AP card is all you need (even if you lose it, they'll still parole you in, with a bit of drama in the secondary). 

 

2. Once you filed for the change-of-status (H1 --> B2) you were lawfully present (out-of-status but lawfully present). And just to help you sleep better: even if you hadn't been lawfully present, prior to the AoS filing, those days would get erased by the virtue of your pending AoS  (this is the law). So you're double-safe.   


03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

 

Long wait begins...

 

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thank you TM92 and randomstairs! This is helpful.

 

@randomstairs you mentioned that the EAD/AP card is all you need (even if you lose it, they'll still parole you in, with a bit of drama in the secondary)

 

Do you have anymore info with regards to this? If one loses it, can they board a flight coming to the states, and what would happen once they get to the US, and they try to parole in?

 

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, owodee said:

can they board a flight coming to the states

@randomstairs said "As far as the US is concerned." Boarding a flight will be an issue because the airline's goal is to avoid penalties from the US. Each airline will react differently in that scenario.

7 minutes ago, owodee said:

what would happen once they get to the US, and they try to parole in?

Make a scan of the front and back of the card and store it digitally. If you lose it, you'll have a copy and explain what happened to the card.


Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×