IloveDanang

What are some ways to commingle finance?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You (and others) are over-thinking the issue. The best advice I see here is to wait until she is in America. Once she is here, she will get SSN and you can begin to add her to many things (credit cards, mortgage (refinance), cars, utilities, phones, insurance, etc.). I've spent a lot of time in Vietnam and helped a lot of people through VN immigration issues - you won't have any problems (as long as your marriage is legit). Don't stress - you'll be fine.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
12 hours ago, IloveDanang said:

Can I fill out the application for ITIN or my wife has to do it?  Also, what is the address to put on the app?  Her address where she's living now or my addresss?

She has to sign and send it to you, but she has to send her passport anyway as you have to bring that.  There's some risk in sending a passport of course though I think DHL or similar services rarely lose things.

Best to file it with tax returns.  Tax preparers can be ITIN acceptance agents and do it all at once.   It will be a joint return by paper return.  Google ITIN acceptance agent in your area and let them file and submit the ITIN form, bring her passport and your marriage certificate.  It cost me $200, but the tax savings offset all the costs. 

I used my address for everything. 

Edited by bakphx1

Timeline
8 hours ago, WandY said:

You (and others) are over-thinking the issue. The best advice I see here is to wait until she is in America. Once she is here, she will get SSN and you can begin to add her to many things (credit cards, mortgage (refinance), cars, utilities, phones, insurance, etc.). I've spent a lot of time in Vietnam and helped a lot of people through VN immigration issues - you won't have any problems (as long as your marriage is legit). Don't stress - you'll be fine.

Please note that I did these things but want to point out that I was approved without showing this to anyone.  The main reason it helped me wasn't so much for the visa process but to enroll him during open enrollment for our benefits and to get the tax credit, but you can amend taxes later. He was also a card signor out of necessity and would have done it anyway.  Don't do it for just the visa. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 11/23/2018 at 3:43 PM, WandY said:

Thanks for the advice.  Just trying to do what I can and not take any chances.  

Timeline
On 11/23/2018 at 11:44 PM, bakphx1 said:

She has to sign and send it to you, but she has to send her passport anyway as you have to bring that. 

When I send in her passport with the application, do they send the passport back?  Or do they keep it?

Timeline

You show it to the agent and they photocopy it.  They certify that they saw the original.

On 11/25/2018 at 8:16 AM, IloveDanang said:

When I send in her passport with the application, do they send the passport back?  Or do they keep it?

Timeline
3 hours ago, bakphx1 said:

You show it to the agent and they photocopy it.  They certify that they saw the original.

Which agent?  I read the instruction online and I have to mail it to the Austin, TX office.

Timeline
22 hours ago, IloveDanang said:

Which agent?  I read the instruction online and I have to mail it to the Austin, TX office.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/acceptance-agents-louisiana

Timeline

Thanks for link and info.  I just called one of those number and the guy said that my wife has to be present.  I asked if mailing in the original passport will be suffice and he said it wasn't.  

Timeline

I just called another office and they said the same thing.  The fact that she needs to be here sounds counter productive.  My wife should receive her SSN when she comes to the US.  So why would she apply for ITIN then?  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.