tenmiles

command sponsorship counts as accompanied overseas?

15 posts in this topic

hello,

I have a question for you. My husband got overseas a few weeks before we got married (overseas). I am not on the official orders, but we got the process of commanded sponsorship done. My husband asked if his orders are going to change, but they said they don't change it while he is still in the same duty station, but I am counted as his wife now. Does it apply to the immigration as well? We are about to go for the interview for CR-1 visa soon, and I want to make sure if I am allowed to live overseas here with him.

1 hour ago, tenmiles said:

hello,

I have a question for you. My husband got overseas a few weeks before we got married (overseas). I am not on the official orders, but we got the process of commanded sponsorship done. My husband asked if his orders are going to change, but they said they don't change it while he is still in the same duty station, but I am counted as his wife now. Does it apply to the immigration as well? We are about to go for the interview for CR-1 visa soon, and I want to make sure if I am allowed to live overseas here with him.

If you are not allowed on his orders then no you can not live overseas with him. 

4 hours ago, tenmiles said:

I am allowed, we have the command sponsorship done, just physically the order document never had been changed. They said that it's because he got here single, but next orders I will be already in. 

You need your name on those orders or you CANNOT move overseas. Without your name on the orders and living abroad on the green card, you will be taking a great risk loosing your US residency.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

5 hours ago, tenmiles said:

I am allowed, we have the command sponsorship done, just physically the order document never had been changed. They said that it's because he got here single, but next orders I will be already in. 

As I said before and @Roel has reiterated is that you are NOT ON HIS ORDERS and thus you can not live with him abroad. If you are not on his orders then you can risk losing your green card by living there, also the military WILL NOT be paying for you to live there at all. 

Edited by Cyberfx1024

1 minute ago, tenmiles said:

Okay, thank you for the answer. Is there possibility to change the orders while we are not PCSing yet?

There is a very slim chance. What rank is your spouse?

My husband is E5.  We have a set of command sponsorship paperwork that has been approved.  I was approved to live with him as they increased our rental allowance, utility allowance, and full medical benefits. 

We were told that Command sponsorship paperwork is like an "amendment" to his orders.  So technically, I am approved to live with him.  Also, my name is on the approved command sponsorship paperwork along with all of my husband's official orders information.  

Is approved command sponsorship paperwork considered orders?  We were told yes by the base legal office.  I just want to ask the question again to be fully certain.

I don't understand it well, sorry for so many questions.. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

you need the amended PCS orders with your name. Which branch is your husband in?

I-129F sent: 2016-01-09

NOA1: 2016-01-15

NOA2: 2016-03-04

Received by NVC: 2016-03-31

Case # assigned: 2016-04-01

Case sent to consulate: 2016-04-05

Case ready: 2016-04-06

AOS Packet sent: 2016-10-08

AOS Packet received: 2016-10-11

AOS NOA1 x 3 (Text messages): 2016-10-14

AOS NOA1 x 3 (Hardcopy mail): 2016-10-17

Biometrics Letter: 2016-10-28

Biometrics Walk-in: 2016-10-28

I-131 and I-765 approved: 2017-01-04 (Day 85)

I-485 approved: 2017-01-19 (Day 100)

EAD/AP Combo card received: 2017-01-20

Green Card received: 2017-01-25

ROC I-751 Packet sent: 2018-10-26

ROC I-751 Packet received: 2018-10-29

ROC I-751 NOA1 (Text message): 2018-11-02

ROC I-751 NOA1 (Hardcopy Extension Letter): 2018-12-10

ROC I-751 Biometrics: 2019-07-02

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

My husband just got his orders modified succesfully today. We added my two kids to his orders and it wasn't a problem at all.

My kids already live at our next duty station but we realised that we needed a 5 bedroom apartment instead of a 3 bedroom apartment with all our kids living together. Hence, he asked to modify them so that housing on base would account for actual number of dependents.

R&OC are you in the States? I think the process is a bit different overseas. My husband went to MPF where they are responsible for orders and command sponsorship office yesterday to ask for a change.  They said that Command Sponsorship overseas is an authorized addition to his original orders minus a few entitlements that he received while moving here. They do not amend the orders or give us new ones. They also said that it "counts as on orders."  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
On 11/28/2018 at 12:34 PM, tenmiles said:

R&OC are you in the States? I think the process is a bit different overseas. My husband went to MPF where they are responsible for orders and command sponsorship office yesterday to ask for a change.  They said that Command Sponsorship overseas is an authorized addition to his original orders minus a few entitlements that he received while moving here. They do not amend the orders or give us new ones. They also said that it "counts as on orders."  

Yes, we are in the States right now. Thanks for clarifying!

On 11/21/2018 at 11:33 PM, tenmiles said:

My husband is E5.  We have a set of command sponsorship paperwork that has been approved.  I was approved to live with him as they increased our rental allowance, utility allowance, and full medical benefits. 

We were told that Command sponsorship paperwork is like an "amendment" to his orders.  So technically, I am approved to live with him.  Also, my name is on the approved command sponsorship paperwork along with all of my husband's official orders information.  

Is approved command sponsorship paperwork considered orders?  We were told yes by the base legal office.  I just want to ask the question again to be fully certain.

I don't understand it well, sorry for so many questions.. 

People above don’t know what they are saying. Yes, if you are allowed to live with him by his command then you can live overseas with him without being afraid of losing your US resident status. Just get an official letter from the office that serves active militaries that confirms it so that you wouldn’t worry. 

On 12/7/2018 at 3:37 PM, Lenchick said:

People above don’t know what they are saying. Yes, if you are allowed to live with him by his command then you can live overseas with him without being afraid of losing your US resident status. Just get an official letter from the office that serves active militaries that confirms it so that you wouldn’t worry. 

Thank you so much!! :) that's a big relief!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.