js0622

US citizen brining my parents who are Canadian citizens

36 posts in this topic

I brought up the health care issue only because you wanted them back and forth and i wouldnt want them to be hurt or something and need help but have to pay out the nose for it in either direction.  Best wishes.  Talk to your parents and see what they think. 

Edited by NikLR
Small phone keyboards are the devil

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

3 hours ago, js0622 said:

I am aware that dual citizenship is allowed. Where does it say that you cannot reside in both? Let's say 6 months here and 6 month there? I would love to read it myself if you could provide a link. Thanks! 

Once you're a dual citizen, you're allowed to reside wherever. Green card holders are subject to continuous residence rules. If they do not maintain continuous residence in the US, it will negatively affect future attempts at citizenship. OHIP does depend on residency btw. I lost my OHIP after moving to the US on my student visa. When I went back, they wanted proof of my flight back to Canada, proof of employment in Canada, most recent Canadian tax return and a recent piece of mail as proof I was permanently living again at my parents' address.

The devil is in the details with this process.

Adjustment through marriage to a US citizen is pretty simple. Petitioning parents can be simple but many get green cards for parents just for them to use the cards as glorified tourist visas. Since it's clear you don't know anything about the process, others are letting you in on potential contingencies with parental petitions. Petitioning for siblings is more complicated as it is a different category in the eyes of the US government. Your brother will not be lumped in with your parents so he will be subject to different waiting times.

Edited by mushroomspore

Filed: Other Timeline
6 hours ago, js0622 said:

Thanks! But why would my parents have to leave my little brother for a a long time once they get approved for the green card? If they apply and do the interview in Canada, they would just have to enter the USA to receive the cards correct? Then nothing is holding them back from driving back to Canada and staying with my bro while they are sponsoring him. Or my brother entering the USA as a Canadian in the visa waiver program he is allowed to stay in the USA for 6 months out of a year anyway. 

Because that is the rule.  He is NOT special. He MUST obey the rules.

6 hours ago, js0622 said:

Thanks! But why would my parents have to leave my little brother for a a long time once they get approved for the green card? If they apply and do the interview in Canada, they would just have to enter the USA to receive the cards correct? Then nothing is holding them back from driving back to Canada and staying with my bro while they are sponsoring him. Or my brother entering the USA as a Canadian in the visa waiver program he is allowed to stay in the USA for 6 months out of a year anyway. 

It's the law of immigration. I know it may be a shock but I lot of people don't understand why there are limits on certain visa categories.

What is ironic is that if the roles were reversed, it would be harder for you to do what you want in Canada. Meaning if your husband immigrated to Canada with you and later wanted to bring over his parents and brother, his options would be less than what you have now. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread locked to further replies. As the OP is being argumentative and feels like they have all the info needed. This thread is no longer needed. Do not restart this thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.