Jaret&Rachael

Surrendering Canadian Driver's License in California, Spousal Visa, Requirements?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey there!

So my spouse and I are just wanting some answers cleared up as we wait for our CR1/IR1 spousal visa to be processed.

I am currently a Canadian Citizen and have a Canadian Driver's license. I was curious, if I were fully immigrated in California, what would the process look like with the DMV to surrender my Canadian driver's license for a California Driver's license?

Will I have to take a written, road, or eye test?

I haven't been able to find much information as it seems to be a state by state issue.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

California DMV website has all the info, do not recollect an option to surrender, why would you want to?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Boiler said:

California DMV website has all the info, do not recollect an option to surrender, why would you want to?

I navigated that website for an hour, super confusing. I couldn't find any information.

Yes California is one of the states that requires you to start completely over.  Annoying. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Did you end up being able to find info? The California DMV website is very confusing and whenever I search "California immigrant drivers license" it tells me that illegal immigrants can get drivers licenses... ok, fine, but what about my legal immigrant husband, what does he need to do? I have concluded that, as someone posted above, you have to totally start over and take both written and practical tests. The first appointment I could get is six weeks from now. I have also seen that they will take your original drivers license from your country so I've told DH to leave it behind in his country.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Look under new residents.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.