BabyTruong

Proof of Bona Fide Marriage

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Seeking advice on whether or not my list is sufficient for Adjustment of Status interview.

My husband and I decided not to have a wedding ceremony as his family is very big and myself being an introvert, I HATE weddings (sorry if I offend anyone here). We also don't have a lot of photos ever since I moved to the USA. We also live at home so there's no lease contract or utility bill. So basically I feel like I lack all the important evidence to show our relationship.

This is my list right now so please let me know what you think!

- My husband as my emergency contact for work

- His work insurance with me as a beneficiary & as a beneficiary for his vision and dental benefits 

- A few photos that we have

- Flights for two trips we've taken and our annual disney passes

- Birth certificate for our son (feel like this is the only thing that can outweight wedding photos and joint leases/accounts)

Waiting...

For that one day......

When I can spend my life with you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
10 minutes ago, BabyTruong said:

Seeking advice on whether or not my list is sufficient for Adjustment of Status interview.

My husband and I decided not to have a wedding ceremony as his family is very big and myself being an introvert, I HATE weddings (sorry if I offend anyone here). We also don't have a lot of photos ever since I moved to the USA. We also live at home so there's no lease contract or utility bill. So basically I feel like I lack all the important evidence to show our relationship.

- His work insurance with me as a beneficiary & as a beneficiary for his vision and dental benefits 

- Birth certificate for our son (feel like this is the only thing that can outweight wedding photos and joint leases/accounts)

Bank statements? Renters insurance?Powers of attorney? Cell phones? You say you live at home.....could whom ever you live with write a letter stating that?

Edited by janet3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Get a sworn affidavit from the person who owns the home you're living in stating that you are residing there as a married couple and what (if anything) you contribute to rent/bills/etc. there.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

How about a bank joint account and related statements? Any credit cards that you share? 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

17 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

How about a bank joint account and related statements? Any credit cards that you share? 

sorry if my question is about my own curiosity..is bank joint account,credit cards or any money related really that important/necessary for aos interview?what if i chose not to mind my husband money because that is his own money..but he always take care of us and give everything we need and want..just dont want to take control of whats his own?is that gonna be a big problem during aos interview?

thanks for understanding

Edited by gaski

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
Just now, gaski said:

sorry if my question is about my own curiosity..is bank joint account,credit cards or any money related really that important/necessary for aos interview?what if i chose not to mind my husband money because that is his own money..but he always take care of us and give everything we need and want..just dont want to take control of whats his own?is that gonna be a big problem during aos interview?

thanks for undeestand

I don't know, I am not an immigration officer nor ever had an interview for AOS nor removal of conditions. 

Also, my wife basically has her bank account and I have mine, but they're both joint accounts in name and legally speaking. 

My question is this: what do you plan to use as evidence of your relationship? If you are the beneficiary of his insurance, retirement plan, etc and you both are on the title of the house/car/lease/etc, then the bank and credit card stuff probably isn't necessary. In other words, can an immigration officer easily see you two have a relationship? If so, great, if not, then you probably should do something about that. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

1 minute ago, usmsbow said:

I don't know, I am not an immigration officer nor ever had an interview for AOS nor removal of conditions. 

Also, my wife basically has her bank account and I have mine, but they're both joint accounts in name and legally speaking. 

My question is this: what do you plan to use as evidence of your relationship? If you are the beneficiary of his insurance, retirement plan, etc and you both are on the title of the house/car/lease/etc, then the bank and credit card stuff probably isn't necessary. In other words, can an immigration officer easily see you two have a relationship? If so, great, if not, then you probably should do something about that. 

in my case that would be not so hard hehe i just want to understand the financial/money/bank part..my husband own our own house its in his own name but in insurance part we got it all, i have a child "his step daughter" that he support for his studies and both our name are listed in our mobile plan as family..just not in bank/money related..as i chose not to.😅

thank you so much 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
51 minutes ago, gaski said:

thanks for understanding

Evidence is evaluated in its totality----if you have sufficient proof otherwise of a bonafide marriage, then it's fine to not have one specific piece.

That's why many point out around VJ that children are not proof of a true marriage *on its own*----not everyone chooses to have children----but it may be taken into consideration as one of the many parts of overall evidence submitted, if other areas of evidence submitted is weak.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

3 minutes ago, Going through said:

Evidence is evaluated in its totality----if you have sufficient proof otherwise of a bonafide marriage, then it's fine to not have one specific piece.

That's why many point out around VJ that children are not proof of a true marriage *on its own*----not everyone chooses to have children----but it may be taken into consideration as one of the many parts of overall evidence submitted, if other areas of evidence submitted is weak.

yea that's very understandable..i guess i dont need to worry about it yet..we still have more months before the interview...Thank you so much for answering my curiosity 😊😊

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
17 hours ago, BabyTruong said:

Excuse me, but did I miss something here?  

One of the best evidences that you are married is a certified copy of your marriage license....

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

56 minutes ago, Pitaya said:

Excuse me, but did I miss something here?  

One of the best evidences that you are married is a certified copy of your marriage license....

*certificate 

Drivers licenses showing the same address?

Wills?

Beneficiaries on each other’s life insurance policy?

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
23 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

*certificate 

Right you are after the license becomes recorded or certified by the county official of records/clerk. Though in this neck of the woods, it is technically called a certificate - marriage license.

https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/records-licensing/recorders-office/marriage-licensing.aspx

Wow, somebody reads my comments.... I just thought it odd not to be included in the AOS paperwork, since it is a required document.

Edited by Pitaya
link

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

36 minutes ago, Pitaya said:

Right you are after the license becomes recorded or certified by the county official of records/clerk. Though in this neck of the woods, it is technically called a certificate - marriage license.

https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/records-licensing/recorders-office/marriage-licensing.aspx

Wow, somebody reads my comments.... I just thought it odd not to be included in the AOS paperwork, since it is a required document.

In all necks of the woods, ppl must obtain a marriage license to get married. That document is then brought to the wedding ceremony and signed by the officiant of your ceremony and submitted to the county office for processing. Shortly after, the couple receives a certified marriage certificate to prove that they have been legally married. 

The marriage license does not prove that your marriage has taken place. It only ALLOWS you to get married. The marriage certificate does that. (Ie if I got a hunting license that doesnt mean I've gone hunting and it doesnt mean I've shot a big one, stuffed it and hung it from my rec room ceiling either).

If you state that we require a marriage LICENSE as proof of marriage as evidence for the AOS application you will have many ppl confused and scrambling to get a copy of their marriage license which they do not need. Remember, not everyone understands English in these forums so it's best not to confuse anyone.

Hi...when I submitted an adjustment of status, i also included a notarized affidavit from 3 non-related individuals who know us very well as husband and wife.  the affidavit is a declaration of how they met you, when, how long has it been, what they know about you and your spouse, including instances when they saw you together...they act like they are witnesses to your living together as husband and wife (legitimately)...any bank statements you have jointly? if you do have, then attach the last 6 months of bank statements...any property titles like cars? income tax return filed jointly?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.