inga44

Which is better - Assets or Immigrant Income for I-864

79 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Also remember any children they have will need to be included in his household size. :) 

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: IR-5 Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Going through said:

Also remember any children they have will need to be included in his household size. :) 

Yes, of course. I read the instructions. ;) That's why it's a household of 4, including me. 

I'm most concerned about getting the forms accepted for an interview. I can bring more documentation with me to the interview from the sale of our home in Canada plus my husband's income, which is technically not eligible because he can't sponsor me. And, no, he's not an immigrant because he is a US-born US citizen moving back to the US.  I can also demonstrate that we got along just fine on less income that a lot of people do - partly because we have no debts, not even a mortgage, and we live simply, growing most of our own food. 

Given the instructions for the I-864 form, I was just wondering about the best way to fill it out. (I wasn't planning on even using  any of my assets, which, though not huge, are significant in light of the minimum income requirements.)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hmm, why is your Husband not sponsoring you and he would use his assets/income including the sale of the Canadian property.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

25 minutes ago, inga44 said:

From what I see on the https://www.healthcare.gov/ site,  I was pleasantly surprised that healthcare coverage from the marketplace should not be a problem. See https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/lawfully-present-immigrants/

Yes, coverage is available form the marketplace.

Although you are still looking at around 4 digits per month for the premiums + actual healthcare costs (deductibles, copays, co-insurance, etc.). That's roughly $12,000/year if they are in (and remain in) good health.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

Piggyback on Husbands SS contributions?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
38 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Piggyback on Husbands SS contributions?

I was looking for different treatment as wife of an American with full coverage, but couldn't find it. 

But the options for immigrants with low income are pretty good in themselves. So I doubt it makes much difference. I seem to remember that it will take only 3 years, rather than 5, for me to become a full citizen,  if I choose. 

Timeline
49 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Hmm, why is your Husband not sponsoring you and he would use his assets/income including the sale of the Canadian property.

Because I don't want to stay here till he re-establishes residency. ;)

He can't sponsor me because he's not currently residing in the US. 

Timeline

Well you have to wait 5 years for Medicare and then pay, unless you can piggyback.

Depends on the details.

Very different to Canada.

Timeline
57 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Yes, coverage is available form the marketplace.

Although you are still looking at around 4 digits per month for the premiums + actual healthcare costs (deductibles, copays, co-insurance, etc.). That's roughly $12,000/year if they are in (and remain in) good health.

That's what I thought. And even most officials don't know better. But immigrants are eligible for tax credits to lower rates - but only if they opt for the "Silver" plan:

If you’re a lawfully present immigrant, you can buy private health insurance on the Marketplace. You may be eligible for lower costs on monthly premiums and lower out-of-pocket costs based on your income.

• If your annual income is 400% of the federal poverty level or below: You may be eligible for premium tax credits and other savings on Marketplace insurance.
  • If your annual household income is below 100% federal poverty level: If you’re not otherwise eligible for Medicaid you’ll be eligible for premium tax credits and other savings on Marketplace insurance, if you meet all other eligibility requirements.
    See https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/lawfully-present-immigrants/

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Well you have to wait 5 years for Medicare and then pay, unless you can piggyback.

Depends on the details.

Very different to Canada.

Nope. Read the info I posted. 
Now, if I don't hurry up, and Trump gets his way, all bets are off .. 
The care in the US is pretty good. Many more options than in Canada. I figured out we wouldn't even have to pay any premiums, because of tax credits, but we would each have to pay up to $2,000 for healthcare per year out of our own pockets. Everything beyond that is free. I can live with that. 

30 minutes ago, inga44 said:

That's what I thought. And even most officials don't know better. But immigrants are eligible for tax credits to lower rates - but only if they opt for the "Silver" plan:

"may be eligible". I ran a quick estimate based on the data you provided (TX, age 70+, $12,000 income) and it implies no tax credits would actually be available.

https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Timeline

Well  am not even go and guess too many variables too much unknown.

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Well  am not even go and guess too many variables too much unknown.

True. And even my estimate was decently off. Income should be AGI....which is likely closer to $0 based on the OP's original comment. Not that it matters as <= $12k/year would be $0 credit.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: Other Timeline
8 hours ago, inga44 said:

Nope. Read the info I posted. 
Now, if I don't hurry up, and Trump gets his way, all bets are off .. 
The care in the US is pretty good. Many more options than in Canada. I figured out we wouldn't even have to pay any premiums, because of tax credits, but we would each have to pay up to $2,000 for healthcare per year out of our own pockets. Everything beyond that is free. I can live with that. 

You are misinformed about the cost of health insurance and what it covers.   It does not cover "everything"; just yesterday it was recommended that I have surgery; Medicare would pay for the basic, but what I really needed would be additional all on me.

Your total income better be well over $12K per year if you intend to live a decent retirement in the US.  IMO, $3500-4000 per month is the minimum given the cost of taxes for income (remember even SS is taxed) and property (depends on state but one family member's in TX is 3% of the house value per year; mine is about 1.5%), utilities, insurance - health, car, homeowners, food, etc.  Income based assistance takes assets into account so any savings over $2-3000 total will disqualify you.   You cannot choose to move to the US and expect taxpayers to support you in your old age.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You should have petitioned through your husband. Establishing domicile is relatively easy and is done all the time without the USC moving back to the states, that way you could have used your assets for the move. That being said why not have your husband be the joint sponsor therefore your assets are right back in play?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.