r_swift

Question - Canadian hoping to travel home for Christmas.

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone, first I would like to say I have been Visa Journey throughout my whole immigration process and would like to thank everyone for their help. It is a great community.

Question: If I am a Canadian citizen with a valid Canadian passport, can I fly to Toronto, Canada (from Philadelphia, USA) using only my passport? This might be a stupid question, but the more research I do, the more confusing everything becomes.

I received my Combo Card/Advance Parole about a month ago. I want to visit Canada late December for 1 week. I know my Combo Card should allow me to re-enter into the United States. But I started reading topics regarding people needing an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter/fly into Canada. In my mind, my Canadian passport should be enough, correct?

I have never flown internationally, only domestic flights. So I guess I am a bit unfamiliar with how the process will go. Such as customs, or where/when I need to present my combo card.

Any information or experiences would help me greatly and ease my mind.

Thank you!

(I have immigrated on a K-1 Fiance Visa in February 2018)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
12 minutes ago, r_swift said:

But I started reading topics regarding people needing an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter/fly into Canada. In my mind, my Canadian passport should be enough, correct?

eTA does not apply to you. It applies to, for example, UK, Australian, etc. citizens that fly into Canada: https://www.passportindex.org/comparebyDestination.php?p1=ca&fl=&s=yes

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

You can fly with a Canadian passport. You won't need to present anything related to US immigration on the flight out.

When you return, you would use the Canadian passport as well. When you go through POE, present the passport + AP.

Note that POE can be in Canada...a couple airports abroad have preclearance, including a few in Canada (https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/ports-entry/operations/preclearance).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Also of note: if your name differs between that of your passport and AP, you need to carry evidence of the name change (i.e. a marriage certificate is a legal name change document).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just to add to the other replies. 

Depending which Canadian airport you are traveling through on your way back you will clear customs and immigration there before you board the flight to the US. If you will clear in an airport that you have a layover in, you might want to make sure you don’t have a quick layover.

My experience is based on Vancouver but I would give yourself extra time at the airport as each time I travelled with the combo card I had to go to the back room to process the AP which added 30-45 mins each time depending on how busy they were that day. But the extra time varies from person to person and airport to airport. (I was also traveling at non peak times on weekdays on purpose).

AOS from K1

4/20/16: Package delivered

4/27/16: NOA1

5/23/16: Biometrics

6/3/16: Ready for interview status on I-485

7/5/16: SR1 filed (over 75 days)

7/26/16: SR2 filed (over 90 days) - 96 days

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Star561 said:

Just to add to the other replies. 

Depending which Canadian airport you are traveling through on your way back you will clear customs and immigration there before you board the flight to the US. If you will clear in an airport that you have a layover in, you might want to make sure you don’t have a quick layover.

My experience is based on Vancouver but I would give yourself extra time at the airport as each time I travelled with the combo card I had to go to the back room to process the AP which added 30-45 mins each time depending on how busy they were that day. But the extra time varies from person to person and airport to airport. (I was also traveling at non peak times on weekdays on purpose).

Thank you for sharing! I do not have a connecting flight, but will be taking the train after landing in Canada. I will make sure to have a good couple hours in between. Thanks!

Timeline
37 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Also of note: if your name differs between that of your passport and AP, you need to carry evidence of the name change (i.e. a marriage certificate is a legal name change document).

Thank you for your replies! I did not end up changing my name, so this should not be an issue, but good to know.

42 minutes ago, geowrian said:

You can fly with a Canadian passport. You won't need to present anything related to US immigration on the flight out.

Does this mean I shouldn't present my combo card/AP when flying out of Philadelphia , and only present it when coming back into the states? I guess I was going to show it both times, which probably wouldn't hurt... but I don't want to make things more confusing or more of a hassle. 

50 minutes ago, TM92 said:

eTA does not apply to you. It applies to, for example, UK, Australian, etc. citizens that fly into Canada: https://www.passportindex.org/comparebyDestination.php?p1=ca&fl=&s=yes

Thank you for your help!

1 minute ago, r_swift said:

Does this mean I shouldn't present my combo card/AP when flying out of Philadelphia , and only present it when coming back into the states? I guess I was going to show it both times, which probably wouldn't hurt... but I don't want to make things more confusing or more of a hassle.

It won't hurt, but there's nobody in immigration to show it to. Exiting the US has no immigration counters. The Canadian passport is sufficient to fly home for the airline staff to board you.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Which airport are you flying out of on the way home?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

1 minute ago, r_swift said:

Most likely Toronto Pearson International. 

Ah they have pre clearance. 

I recently flew out of kelowna which doesnt and omg what a pain to go through immigration on the US side.  No wonder people are so confused all the time.  There wasnt a person to help anyone either!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
24 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Ah they have pre clearance

I recently flew out of kelowna which doesnt and omg what a pain to go through immigration on the US side.  No wonder people are so confused all the time.  There wasnt a person to help anyone either!

Yikes! I can imagine what a pain that would be... I'm a little nervous to be honest, but I think I won't have any issues. My husband was supposed to come with me for the trip, but it just got so expensive for both of us to fly. Would have been nice to have his support! I have read some stories about people not knowing what the combo card is and things get confusing. Let's hope they're well educated in TO.

Wish me luck! 

Oh they know what theyre doing there. You wont have a problem. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
21 hours ago, r_swift said:

Thank you for sharing! I do not have a connecting flight, but will be taking the train after landing in Canada. I will make sure to have a good couple hours in between. Thanks!

You’ll be fine on the way there. This is just on your way back to the states that you will need a bit more time. (When you so pre-clearance in Toronto on the way back).

AOS from K1

4/20/16: Package delivered

4/27/16: NOA1

5/23/16: Biometrics

6/3/16: Ready for interview status on I-485

7/5/16: SR1 filed (over 75 days)

7/26/16: SR2 filed (over 90 days) - 96 days

• 3 weeks later...

The last two times I have flown out of Pearson with my EAD/AP, they held me in secondary. No questions, nothing like that, but literally held me until my plane was DEPARTING in 5 minutes. I've gotten to the point where I just don't stress - let it happen. They'll let you out with a couple minutes to spare and Air Canada will force you to run to your gate. Air Canada's agent said it's a common practice just to hold people up until the last possible second. People were getting super mad at the CBP agents, who would just yell back at them, and then other people were angry with the airline agents. No one can help, so just sit there and let them take their time.

My bags had already been pulled from the flight in both instances, but just as a heads up. Deep breaths.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.