madiartzer

Homesick...

50 posts in this topic

Just now, jakejon said:

Well, I would assume that someone on a CR-1 wouldn’t want to wait 5-6 months to work when the benefit is already given. But I guess that may happen too. It’s all down to perspective and individuals. 

And drive.  Depending on your state you can only drive so long on a foreign license.  Im far too independent to be that reliant on my spouse for living.  But we wouldnt be married if I wasnt an independent person either.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Nevada DMV allow UK drivers to drive as long as their licence is valid. Mine is valid to 2026 but I’d like a state ID and also Jakes car insurance company have happily put me on his insurance but they expect me to pass my test by November 2019. It gives me a goal to strive for. I keep driving on the WRONG side of the road. It’s so scary and Nevada drivers are so fast 🙈

Edited by jakejon

2 minutes ago, jakejon said:

Nevada DMV allow UK drivers to drive as long as their licence is valid. Mine is valid to 2026 but I’d like a state ID and also Jakes car insurance company have happily put me on his insurance but they expect me to pass my test by November 2019. It gives me a goal to strive for. I keep driving on the WRONG side of he road 🙈

No it doesnt.

http://www.dmvnv.com/newresident.htm

New Nevada residents must obtain their driver license and vehicle registration within 30 days. The initial fine for failing to register your vehicle is $1,000. It may be reduced to not less than $200 upon compliance.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I was on my husband's insurance for a year before i moved to the USA. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, NikLR said:

No it doesnt.

http://www.dmvnv.com/newresident.htm

New Nevada residents must obtain their driver license and vehicle registration within 30 days. The initial fine for failing to register your vehicle is $1,000. It may be reduced to not less than $200 upon compliance.

This would be referring to moving between states. There is a large issue of new Nevada residents never paying to register their cars in Nevada when they move here as it is (generally) more expensive then neighboring states, this rule is meant to discourage that.  It is not meant to cover those who have recently immigrated. This link also specifically states "Foreign nationals may or may not be eligible for a license or a driver authorization card depending on their specific immigration status. Email or call for details and see Residency and Proof of Identity." 

We did exactly that and were told my license is perfectly valid to drive on, and that they will also accept it when it come time to take my driving test. We also spoke to an underwriter of our car insurance company, who is also in agreement with the DMV and stated that so long as I was actively seeking a US license in Nevada, they will cover me for up to a year. 

Hopefully this does not derail the thread too much. My apologies to the OP. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Eric-Pris said:

Your AOS is pending for 5 years?

Nope. I was in student visa. And lunar new year always happens after the semester starts in January, so I have never had a chance to be with my family. Not sure when I can even do that as we only have 2 weeks of vacation in the US. 

2 minutes ago, hoangthaihuy said:

Nope. I was in student visa. And lunar new year always happens after the semester starts in January, so I have never had a chance to be with my family. Not sure when I can even do that as we only have 2 weeks of vacation in the US. 

At least you aren't blaming the immigration process.  Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 minutes ago, jakejon said:

This would be referring to moving between states. There is a large issue of new Nevada residents never paying to register their cars in Nevada when they move here as it is (generally) more expensive then neighboring states, this rule is meant to discourage that.  It is not meant to cover those who have recently immigrated. This link also specifically states "Foreign nationals may or may not be eligible for a license or a driver authorization card depending on their specific immigration status. Email or call for details and see Residency and Proof of Identity." 

We did exactly that and were told my license is perfectly valid to drive on, and that they will also accept it when it come time to take my driving test. We also spoke to an underwriter of our car insurance company, who is also in agreement with the DMV and stated that so long as I was actively seeking a US license in Nevada, they will cover me for up to a year. 

Hopefully this does not derail the thread too much. My apologies to the OP. 

You are confusing residents with visitors.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You are confusing residents with visitors.

I don't believe it is important to the OP for us to continue to discuss the laws of Nevada. Driving laws vary quite a bit state to state, I myself could not speak to what Colorado would deem acceptable . 

We have talked with multiple people who are well aware of my immigration and residency status, and have informed us of the correct and legal way to handle our specific situation.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
17 minutes ago, jakejon said:

I don't believe it is important to the OP for us to continue to discuss the laws of Nevada. Driving laws vary quite a bit state to state, I myself could not speak to what Colorado would deem acceptable . 

We have talked with multiple people who are well aware of my immigration and residency status, and have informed us of the correct and legal way to handle our specific situation.  

Good luck with your insurance covering an accident. You are basically driving without a license past those 30 days. 

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline
1 minute ago, N-o-l-a said:

Good luck with your insurance covering an accident. You are basically driving without a license past those 30 days. 

We have spoken directly with the underwriter (not a customer service agent) of our insurance policy regarding this issue, and this is not the case. 

We have spoken directly with the DMV regarding this issue, and this is not the case. 

We have spoken directly with our lawyer, and this is not the case. 

I am not attempting to break any laws, there is no reason for me to. There is no benefit to me using this for anything more than to learn to drive, the insurance has actually been adjusted at a higher rate because of our situation. Everyone is well aware and we have checked every corner of the situation. 

I am not using my foreign license to skirt getting a US license. I am simply using this to learn how to drive with someone else in the car and then receive a US license. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
59 minutes ago, jakejon said:

This would be referring to moving between states.

No........you are incorrect.  It applies to ALL NEW residents...

"New Nevada residents must obtain their driver license and vehicle registration within 30 days. The initial fine for failing to register your vehicle is $1,000. It may be reduced to not less than $200 upon compliance"

"Active duty military members, their spouses, dependents and others living temporarily in Nevada are not required to transfer their license and registration."

EDIT:  Do you meet any of these requirements to be classified as a resident?

"

1. "Resident" includes, but is not limited to, a person:
    1. Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada.
    2. Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semi trailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.
    3. Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
    4. Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.
  2. The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

multiple posts removed for creating drama or for quoting those posts.

this is real simple - provide constructive advice to the op or do not post. 

if one continues to detract from the topic at hand by instigating drama and

derailing this thread, you will receive attention you do not want.

charles

vj moderation.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow...thanks to those of you who were helpful, or just heard me out. No thanks to those making judgmental remarks and digs. 

Whether or not you do everything "on point", the immigration process sucks sometimes. That's just the truth. I'm not blaming the immigration process, I understand there's an order and I have to wait my turn, etc.

I don't regret this decision, I never said that I regret it, and I knew it was going to be difficult. I was just looking for a place to go to, to talk to people who understood my feeling of being homesick, and maybe get some advice. 

Annoyed and really hurt by some of the comments on this thread, but it is what it is I guess. 

Edited by madiartzer

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The only real question was when you filed and if you included AP/EAD.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.