PirateLiker

I-864. How often is it enforced?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I know VJ is generally meant to be a happy place for those who are all in on their marriage. But what if something goes wrong? I have been doing a little reading on I-864 and I find it to be troubling if not terrifying. By signing this binding document, which is essentially a contract between you and the federal government, you agree to support the beneficiary for life at 125% of the poverty level. Yes you read that right. There are a few specific things which can absolve you of this responsibility, most notably the beneficiary decides to abandon residency status or the beneficiary works for 10 years. However, the beneficiary is obligated to do neither. It is not like normal alimony where you can have imputed income or other court ordered motivation to have the person work. 

I have read reports that say this is not enforced very often but further reading seems to suggest that enforcement is on the rise. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of this? I read a recent VJ thread where a sponsor was very worried that it was going to be enforced on him. Have you been on either end of an enforced I-864? If so, can you detail what happened? I appreciate other comments but firsthand knowledge is so valuable.  Please avoid replies that are not directly relevated to the question.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have certainly seem cases where it has been used in Divorce proceeding, do not think it is that common but certainly happens.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

No Attorneys on here, this is a self help site.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Of course its a serious contract.  I wouldnt sign one for a sibling or a friend.  My kid would likely be the only recipient of an I-864 from me.  

~~moved to general immigration discussion from off topic.  Topic is about affidavit of support~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

It's not regularly enforced right now, but there certainly are cases where it happens.

How likely it is to be enforced mostly depends on the individual immigrant...some may not want to have any to do with it and others may want every cent they can get out of it.

It is a serious contract and commitment, and has been upheld in courts.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
12 hours ago, NikLR said:

Of course its a serious contract.  I wouldnt sign one for a sibling or a friend.  My kid would likely be the only recipient of an I-864 from me.  

~~moved to general immigration discussion from off topic.  Topic is about affidavit of support~~

Are you an American marrying a foreign person? If so, I think you have to sign one or your marriage cannot continue and your spouse must return to Canada. Am I right about this?

Timeline
9 hours ago, gregcrs2 said:

If you are so concerned about it, then perhaps you shouldn't get married.  If things go the wrong way, that could be the least of your financial concerns.  

What are the other financial concerns?

Edited by PirateLiker

Timeline

I 864 has been brought into a Divorce Settlement http://www.i-864.net/

The above seems to happen more often than Government enforcement

But of course that is looking backwards,  this is going forward and it would be wise top assume it means what it says. Out there until potentially you or she dies.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

People seem to take the entire process lightly at times and come on websites like this because they forged ahead without reading anything first.

Yes, it’s a 10-year commitment, and yes people come on here because they are divorcing someone but the person has status and can’t be made to leave.  

If you haven’t contemplated your comfort level with this, you should.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
9 minutes ago, bakphx1 said:

People seem to take the entire process lightly at times and come on websites like this because they forged ahead without reading anything first.

Yes, it’s a 10-year commitment, and yes people come on here because they are divorcing someone but the person has status and can’t be made to leave.  

If you haven’t contemplated your comfort level with this, you should.

It's actually an indefinite commitment if the beneficiary chooses not to work or obtain citizenship.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

It's actually an indefinite commitment if the beneficiary chooses not to work or obtain citizenship.

Or die

1 hour ago, PirateLiker said:

Are you an American marrying a foreign person? If so, I think you have to sign one or your marriage cannot continue and your spouse must return to Canada. Am I right about this?

Okay i am the Canadian and yea my husband signed one for me.  I would sign something equal if we moved to Canada.  However I wouldnt sign one as a joint sponsor or as a primary for a sibling. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.