Avsiws

RFE for medical but must deliver in person with VERY short deadline!

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had my AOS interview at Federal Plaza NYC November 1st. At the interview I was told I needed to re-do my medical exam. The IO told me I would receive an RFE letter, to then schedule my medical exam and that I would then need to mail it in within a certain time (generally 60ish days). My lawyer asked if he could personally deliver it instead and the IO said yes. He even gave my lawyer specific instructions about delivering it directly to his office.

Fast forward to today, when I received a letter dated November 13th saying I need to deliver my medical exam in person on December 7th between 7am and 12pm. This leaves me 13 business days to get the medical done, and it contradicts what the IO said in the interview about time and delivery. I'm panicking! There aren't any civil surgeons able to give me an appointment that quickly. Has anyone experienced such a tight deadline?

Am I at least able to get the TB, syphilis or gonorrhea tests done by my GP and bring them with me to the civil surgeon exam? I'm being quoted $150 for each test at the civil surgeon.

36 minutes ago, Avsiws said:

I had my AOS interview at Federal Plaza NYC November 1st. At the interview I was told I needed to re-do my medical exam. The IO told me I would receive an RFE letter, to then schedule my medical exam and that I would then need to mail it in within a certain time (generally 60ish days). My lawyer asked if he could personally deliver it instead and the IO said yes. He even gave my lawyer specific instructions about delivering it directly to his office.

Fast forward to today, when I received a letter dated November 13th saying I need to deliver my medical exam in person on December 7th between 7am and 12pm. This leaves me 13 business days to get the medical done, and it contradicts what the IO said in the interview about time and delivery. I'm panicking! There aren't any civil surgeons able to give me an appointment that quickly. Has anyone experienced such a tight deadline?

Am I at least able to get the TB, syphilis or gonorrhea tests done by my GP and bring them with me to the civil surgeon exam? I'm being quoted $150 for each test at the civil surgeon.

Why did you need to redo your medical? Seeing your timeline, you have filed your AOS within one year of when your medical was done, according to instruction of I-693, you do not need a new medical...

Timeline
1 minute ago, JoJoJoJo said:

Why did you need to redo your medical? Seeing your timeline, you have filed your AOS within one year of when your medical was done, according to instruction of I-693, you do not need a new medical...

Sigh... I know. I explained my confusion to the IO and he wasn't having any of it. I even brought the instructions for the I-693 stating that I did not need to re-do but he wants me to do it in it's entirety.

2 minutes ago, Avsiws said:

Sigh... I know. I explained my confusion to the IO and he wasn't having any of it. I even brought the instructions for the I-693 stating that I did not need to re-do but he wants me to do it in it's entirety.

Really sorry to hear that! You have my sympathy!

Did he not give any reason? I am sure I would argue with them if I were required to do this. I will definitely bring the instruction I-693.😫

12 minutes ago, Avsiws said:

Did anything come up during your medical abroad? Did you opt not to get certain vaccines?

K-1 VISA

I129F Sent: 08/23/2017

NOA 1: 08/25/2017

NOA 2: 02/27/2018

NVC Received: 03/14/2018

NVC Case #: 03/15/2018

NVC Left: 03/24/2018

Embassy Received: 03/28/2018

Medical: 05/08/2018

Interview: 05/15/2018 

Visa issued: 05/18/2018

Visa received: 05/23/2018 

AOS

POE: 06/07/2018

SSN applied: 06/12/2018

SSN received: 06/28/2018

AOS Sent: 07/27/2018

Biometrics: 08/23/2018

Interview: 10/30/2018

Approval: 10/30/2018 

NOA2: 11/05/2018

Green card Received: 11/08/2018

NO MORE USCIS UNTIL ROC!!!!!😁

Timeline

The IO told me that even with the additional one year extension for medical expiries (two years total), I just missed the deadline. I have all required vaccinations and there were no issues with my overseas medical, everything was complete.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Get on the phone and call every possible civil surgeon in your area to get an appointment Asap. If you are lucky enough you may get a spot this week or next week. After getting the exam you can come pick up the sealed enveloppe 3 days later after they read the results for the TB test.

It will be expensive but at this point you have no choice.

Good luck

01/08/2018: Priority Date

01/19/2018: Checks cashed

01/22/2018: 3 NOA's received in Mail (I-130, I-485 and I-765)

02/09/201: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter scheduled for 02/22

02/10/2018: Email notification of RFIE :(

02/12/2018: Early walk-in for Biometrics, successful

02/16/2018: RFIE received for birth certificate and translation, sent back the same day

02/20/2018: RFIE response delivered, sent via Fedex

02/23/2018: Case status updated to RFIE response received

03/05/2018: Courtesy letter for I-693, medical exam received, letter dated Feb 28th

03/08/2018: AP application delivered by Fedex

03/19/2018: NOA for AP received in the mailbox

05/03/2018: AP ONLY approved (Approved in 56 days)

05/11/2018: AP received in Mail

05/21/2018: Email received,EAD card in production (Day 133)

05/22/2018: Interview scheduled

05/25/2018: EAD approval letter received in Mail

05/29/2018: EAD card and letter for interview (Jun.26th) both received in Mail, Woot woot :)

06/26/2018: Interview completed, now waiting for the magical email/letter...

10/30/2018: Went to Infopass, officer has not made a decision yet, an email was sent to him tell him I came to inquire

03/26/2019: Moved so updated our address online with USCIS

04/16/2019: I-130 petition approved

04/20/2019: approval notice received in the mail

04/22/2019: received notification of RFE for AOS I-485

06/01/2019: RFE finally received after being lost in the mail, asking for a new medical exam

06/06/2019: Response to RFE sent, received the next day 06/07/2019

06/17/2019: Received notification of another RFE, 3rd time will be the charm hopefully

06/22/2019: RFE received for new medical

07/02/2019: Went to doctor for new medical

07/11/2019: I-485 approved without new medical exam

07/18/2019: Green Card received in mail

Another option in Manhattan for really quick turn around on medical exam is https://www.greencardmedicalexam.com/ I think they also do a two day turnaround. They're not the cheapest, but they're really nice, and they were very kind to me (as someone who is terrified of needles, this really made the process easier). They're also just a walk in center, you don't need an appointment, but I did call ahead to see how busy they were. I think it took me an hour in total.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...

Hi sorry I know this is an old post but did you hand deliver your medical? We have to hand in documents for an RFE after AOS interview and I wanted to know more information but not getting anywhere with it. 

• 6 months later...
Timeline
On 3/4/2020 at 1:37 PM, Nicola and Jordan said:

Hi sorry I know this is an old post but did you hand deliver your medical? We have to hand in documents for an RFE after AOS interview and I wanted to know more information but not getting anywhere with it. 

Oh my goodness- I'm sorry I missed this post! Yes we hand delivered them during the window they gave us (I think it was 7am-noon). All we had to do was wait in a line and hand them in. I still don't understand why I couldn't have just mailed it!

17 hours ago, Avsiws said:

Oh my goodness- I'm sorry I missed this post! Yes we hand delivered them during the window they gave us (I think it was 7am-noon). All we had to do was wait in a line and hand them in. I still don't understand why I couldn't have just mailed it!

Haha no worries! We actually had to mail ours in in the end because of COVID and now I have my Green Card :) Thank you for replying though! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.