sdpapet

Questions about apply B1/B2 VISA in New Zealand

16 posts in this topic

Hello, I applied for B1/B2 VISA for a business trip from Auckland consulate, in New Zealand. I did my interview on Nov 5th. VISA officer told me that my VISA is approved and will mail to me with in 2 or 3 business days. However, it has been 8 business days since my VISA interview and I still haven't received my VISA. I also checked the CEAC website. It still shows the last update is Nov 5th (Now is Nov 16th). " Administrative Processing, Your visa case is currently undergoing necessary administrative processing. This processing can take several weeks. Please follow any instructions provided by the Consular Officer at the time of your interview. If further information is needed, you will be contacted. If your visa application is approved, it will be processed and mailed/available within two business days.For more information, please visit TRAVEL.STATE.GOV."

This is totally not normal. It's more than 10 days.

I have several questions:

1> If the VISA officer just say the visa has been approved. This is not necessarily true? right? They can still deny my VISA on a 2nd thought? In my case, it has been more than 10 days ,which means my VISA is denied? Has anyone has the same experience as I did?

2> What is Amin process? Does this mean they will do a background check with me? However, the VISA officer didn't give me the form 221(g)

3>Is it possible the US Consulate mail the passport, but it is missing during the mailing process?

Thanks,

Edited by sdpapet

It's normal. AP can take anywhere from few days to few weeks or months and there is no way to tell how long it will be and no way to speed it up. 

Yes your visa can still be denied. You wont know for sure until you have your passport back. Usually visas are approved though. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

I just don’t know why visa officer doesn’t tell me the truth. She can give me a 221 g form as official notification, if I they want to extra AP. She told me I will receive my passport and visa within two or three days. I hope they should be more professional.

It is totally normal. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

1 hour ago, sdpapet said:

I just don’t know why visa officer doesn’t tell me the truth. She can give me a 221 g form as official notification, if I they want to extra AP. She told me I will receive my passport and visa within two or three days. I hope they should be more professional.

Maybe she told you the truth at the time. Before the visa is issued they (not the person who interviewed you) decided you needed more checks.

They don't need to update you. You are the one applying for permission to try to enter their country. They don't owe you anything.

All you can do is wait and get on with life.

5 hours ago, sdpapet said:

It’s not that she didn’t “tell you the truth”. It happens sometimes that they expect to approve the visa immediately and then something unexpected comes up in the post-interview background check that requires further AP, clearly this is what happened in your case. 

What is your country of passport?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Presumably the OP is not a Kiwi.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Well, this why I said the VISA officer didn't tell me the truth.

I checked CEAC official website about my status. The last status (Administrative Processing)  update is on the same day I was interviewed (It has never changed), which is Nov. 5th. This means that she decided to do this Administrative Processing right after I finished my interview or during the interview.

If this decision was made later by her boss, it should update as the other

Now, my whole travel schedule has to change. They hold my passport because they told me that it approved. I don't have my passport and I even can't make own Christmas traveling plan. I don't have my passport therefore I can't travel to any other countries.

PS, does anyone know if CEAC updates during weekend? How many times does CEAC update every week? Is CEAC updated by US or locally? (In my case, New Zealand)

Thanks

Edited by sdpapet

30 minutes ago, sdpapet said:

Well, this why I said the VISA officer didn't tell me the truth.

I checked CEAC official website about my status. The last status (Administrative Processing)  update is on the same day I was interviewed (It has never changed), which is Nov. 5th. This means that she decided to do this Administrative Processing right after I finished my interview or during the interview.

If this decision was made later by her boss, it should update as the other

Now, my whole travel schedule has to change. They hold my passport because they told me that it approved. I don't have my passport and I even can't make own Christmas traveling plan. I don't have my passport therefore I can't travel to any other countries.

PS, does anyone know if CEAC updates during weekend? How many times does CEAC update every week? Is CEAC updated by US or locally? (In my case, New Zealand)

Thanks

EVERYONE, approved or not, goes into administrative processing straight after interview. There is no “other”.  It is the only status available between “ready” and “issued”. So no this isn’t proof of anything other than you don’t understand the available options. You can keep on complaining about the officer who isn’t omniscient, or you can wait, or you can contact the embassy and tell them uou need your passport back because you want to go somewhere else.

did you ever answer the question about what your country of passport is? That could be relevant.

Thanks. I didn't mean to complain, but I just don't have much experience on this CEAC website. So, I have no clue about these AP means.

If they don't give VISA, that's fine. It's Xmas time and I would like to go to other countries. The Passport is in Consulate. I worry about the worst scenarios. They lost my passport. 

Well, as you said, I have no choice at this time but wait.

Thanks

You can ask for your Passport back.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, sdpapet said:

Thanks. I didn't mean to complain, but I just don't have much experience on this CEAC website. So, I have no clue about these AP means.

If they don't give VISA, that's fine. It's Xmas time and I would like to go to other countries. The Passport is in Consulate. I worry about the worst scenarios. They lost my passport. 

Well, as you said, I have no choice at this time but wait.

Thanks

I did give you another option

and you now seem to be definitely avoiding the question about your country. Odd.

43 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I did give you another option

and you now seem to be definitely avoiding the question about your country. Odd.

Sorry, I didn't notice that question. My passport is China. I went to the consulate same day with another friend who is also from China. She was also told the VISA has been approved, but she received the passport within three days.

PS, do you know if CEAC updates during weekend? How many times does CEAC update every week? Is CEAC updated by US or locally? (In my case, New Zealand)?

The local courier service is not very responsible. I lost my package before. I also heard they mail passport to wrong person before due to the foreign names.

Thanks,

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

You can ask for your Passport back.

How can I ask for this? We only have an email contact here and they barely email you back. Or just simple say you should wait?

We also have a phone number, but they are only in charge the appointment related questions.

The CO can recommend the case for approval, but there are items that can come up in checks afterwards causing a delay (or even a denial).

Any activities after the interview are part of AP.

As noted, you can request the passport back. This can be done via their preferred method of contact (which sounds like email). The visa cannot be issued without your passport. If they complete AP after returning the passport, they will, request the passport so they can issue the visa.

CEAC can update at any time, but the officers work on business days so you'll almost always see updates on non-holiday weekdays (unless there is a delay in updating CEAC). The CEAC status can update an unlimited number of times per week...it updates when there is a status change, not based on any sort of time interval. Expect it to stay in AP until the visa is issued or refused.

I'm certain delivery issues arise all the time (in any country, albeit likely more often with come couriers than others). It's a human process and humans make mistakes.

Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/17/18: Approved

10/24/18: Green card produced

10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.