JMK_IT

When and how to legally change the last name?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello there! 
I know this is a pretty common question among immigrant folks, but I found so many overlapping information that I ended up being quite confused about what steps I need to take. 

So, 
I married and filed for AoS using my maiden name. 
I'm currently waiting for my Combo Card and Green Card.
Don't have a Driver's License/State ID yet, I was never issued a SSN due to a mistake from the Social Security Administration and I ended up requesting it again through USCIS on the I-765 form. 

In the meantime I started using my new name on various occasions and documents, including my credit card, health insurance, gym membership, Costco membership and whatnot. 
Question: do I need to file a petition for a change of name to the court? Or will changing the name on SSN and DMV documents be enough?  live in Florida.
Also, how will this reflect on my combo card and green card? The combo card will come under my maiden name. I know that I can request to have my new name on the green card during the interview, otherwise the fee to change it is $750 (ouch). 

Or should I just wait and legally change my name only after my green card is issued? 

Facebook group: K-1 Visa Italia 

April 10 2018 US ENTRY (K-1 Visa) 

August 27 2019 GREEN CARD ISSUED

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Your marriage certificate was enough for your name change. Go to the SSN and ask for SSN in new name and then when you have that head to the DMW and get a DL in new name (some state need EAD to give out a DL)

But your should have just filed the AOS with new name. Now you will have to change name on GC and that is expensive.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Well you made a mistake not filing for AOS in your new name. Do whatever you can to have your GC issued in the name you intend to use because its not cheap or easy to get it changed. Out of curiosity how did you manage to get a credit card without a social security number or ID to match your name?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

Your marriage certificate was enough for your name change. Go to the SSN and ask for SSN in new name and then when you have that head to the DMW and get a DL in new name (some state need EAD to give out a DL)

But your should have just filed the AOS with new name. Now you will have to change name on GC and that is expensive.

How is she going to get a SSN if she doesn't have EAD or GC???

6 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

How is she going to get a SSN if she doesn't have EAD or GC???

That poster was probably assuming that she had a EAD or a Greencard now. But if the OP does not then she will have to wait until she at least gets the EAD before she can file for a SSN. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

That poster was probably assuming that she had a EAD or a Greencard now. But if the OP does not then she will have to wait until she at least gets the EAD before she can file for a SSN. 

Even then can she get it in a name that doesn't match SAVE?

Timeline
11 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

Well you made a mistake not filing for AOS in your new name. Do whatever you can to have your GC issued in the name you intend to use because its not cheap or easy to get it changed. Out of curiosity how did you manage to get a credit card without a social security number or ID to match your name?

My husband requested a new credit card connected to his bank account on my name, and they issued it in my married name. They simply told us to update the SSN info once I'll receive it. 

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

Timeline

Yes, I know I should have just simply filed for AoS under my married name. In that moment I wasn't well informed, and I thought I had to take action through the court for a name change, because I didn't know the marriage certificate itself is enough proof for me to legally use my new last name. I hope I will be given the opportunity to change it during the interview, as many have reported it looks like it's a possibility. How much would the discrepancy of names between my combo card/green card and the rest of my documents affect me? 

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I requested a SSN on the I-765 form, I'm assuming it will be sent to my address with the combo card? And then I'll go to the SSA to update the name on it. 

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, NikLR said:

You should have filed the AOS in your married name.  If I were you I'd try to get that fixed before the green card.  Call the USCIS and do an infopas updating the information.  Because you are a K1 AOS you may not get an interview (it's $450 to change the card not $750 btw.)  Legal name change in the USA for a married spouse is not a court matter. You use the marriage certificate to show have a legal right to that name.  

I thought every applicant will be called for an interview. Isn't getting the interview waived a super rare case that started happening less and less and less?

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

7 minutes ago, ababsurd said:

Yes, I know I should have just simply filed for AoS under my married name. In that moment I wasn't well informed, and I thought I had to take action through the court for a name change, because I didn't know the marriage certificate itself is enough proof for me to legally use my new last name. I hope I will be given the opportunity to change it during the interview, as many have reported it looks like it's a possibility. How much would the discrepancy of names between my combo card/green card and the rest of my documents affect me? 

Youd have to use your marriage certificate a lot initially to show you're the same person.  Bit of a pain but not so much that its worth $450 imo.   Once the ssn is updated after green card and your drivers license is your married name it's a non issue. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Just now, ababsurd said:

I thought every applicant will be called for an interview. Isn't getting the interview waived a super rare case that started happening less and less and less?

Getting it waived for k1 is more rare than it was.  Over the years less and less have it waived.  Back when i started 75% were waived.  Year or two ago it was 50%.  Dunno the stats now though. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
2 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Youd have to use your marriage certificate a lot initially to show you're the same person.  Bit of a pain but not so much that its worth $450 imo.   Once the ssn is updated after green card and your drivers license is your married name it's a non issue. 

Just now, NikLR said:

Getting it waived for k1 is more rare than it was.  Over the years less and less have it waived.  Back when i started 75% were waived.  Year or two ago it was 50%.  Dunno the stats now though. 

Thank you for your help 🙏

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.