chwolff11

Wifes Nursing here in the USA: Help with Where to start paperwork?

25 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. My wife and I breezed through the VISA process with the help of visajourney.com. We have been married for  2 years now with a one year old and a second child due in the Spring. It's been the greatest two years of my life and I'm grateful for all the help this website provided us.

At this time she's ready to get a job and begin her American working life. She's a nurse and would like to be a nurse here also. Can anyone direct me to the resources we need to do the NCLEX, IELS and any other paperwork that will be required for her to interview and get a job with a U.S. hospital?

Thank you

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
26 minutes ago, chwolff11 said:

Hello everyone. My wife and I breezed through the VISA process with the help of visajourney.com. We have been married for  2 years now with a one year old and a second child due in the Spring. It's been the greatest two years of my life and I'm grateful for all the help this website provided us.

At this time she's ready to get a job and begin her American working life. She's a nurse and would like to be a nurse here also. Can anyone direct me to the resources we need to do the NCLEX, IELS and any other paperwork that will be required for her to interview and get a job with a U.S. hospital?

Thank you

I googled and found a lot of info at ncsbn.org

YMMV

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Im a pinay nurse working in VA. Let her go to cgfns first and have all her credentials check off. Before she can apply for NCLEX, they need cgfns. Once she finish that, eveything will be easy. Cgfns -> ncsbn -> check your state BON -> pearson vue (i dont know the order but those are agencies involved). Its a process but its all worth it. I suggest she needs to start reviewing now so by that time everything is approved then she can take the test right away. 

She can apply with the state board of nursing (BON).

She needs her credentials validated (unless from a partnered institution). CGFNS is the common provider for this, but see your state's nursing requirements to be sure.

Then she will get her Authorization To Test (ATT), which lets her schedule the NCLEX via PearsonVue.

Once completed and passed, the BON can make a decision on the license application.

Some state BONs require an English proficiency exam with minimum scores if the nursing courses were taught in a language other than English.

Once you have the license, you can be hired. You can apply beforehand, but many employers tend to be wary of pursuing anything until you are licensed. YMMV...my local area has a severe shortage of nurses so they were very accommodating with waiting for the paperwork to come through.

And the sign-on bonuses in the area are great... ;)

Regardless of how long one has been a nurse in the past, especially with a gap involved, don't take the NCLEX lightly.  The US has a way of doing things that may differ from one's country of origin or previous employment...study hard.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Be aware that international graduated candidates taking the NCLEX have about a 40% pass rate on NCLEX

US Educated have about a 87% pass rate

If US educated you can get a 2 years Associate Degree and sit for NCLEX to become a RN, just in case she couldn't pass the NCLEX, my was a RN in Philippines and she couldn't ever pass the US NCLEX, and I sent her to numerous prep classes like Kaplan, NSNBC Review, and a few others.  She finally gave up after numerous attempts.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Be aware that international graduated candidates taking the NCLEX have about a 40% pass rate on NCLEX

US Educated have about a 87% pass rate

If US educated you can get a 2 years Associate Degree and sit for NCLEX to become a RN, just in case she couldn't pass the NCLEX, my was a RN in Philippines and she couldn't ever pass the US NCLEX, and I sent her to numerous prep classes like Kaplan, NSNBC Review, and a few others.  She finally gave up after numerous attempts.

I got lucky on my 2nd attempt. The test itself is very intimidating and new plus its computerized which many pinoys are not used to. Once I click the next button, thats it and gone. 

4 hours ago, BerhaeLee said:

I got lucky on my 2nd attempt. The test itself is very intimidating and new plus its computerized which many pinoys are not used to. Once I click the next button, thats it and gone. 

Yes my wife took it 4 or 5 times, she finally gave up. I hope it wasn't due to her schooling in Philippines. 

For me I am a business man so I just decided it would best for her to stay home and take care of me, since the economy is so robust.  She does some kind of work at home job and works about 20 to 30 hours per week doing data entry but only makes $12 per hour, which is a waste of time in my opinion.   

I still make her pay all the household bill like : Electrical Bill, Water Bill, Internet/Cable Bill.  I do make the house payment 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Yes my wife took it 4 or 5 times, she finally gave up. I hope it wasn't due to her schooling in Philippines. 

For me I am a business man so I just decided it would best for her to stay home and take care of me, since the economy is so robust.  She does some kind of work at home job and works about 20 to 30 hours per week doing data entry but only makes $12 per hour, which is a waste of time in my opinion.   

I still make her pay all the household bill like : Electrical Bill, Water Bill, Internet/Cable Bill.  I do make the house 

I dont think so. I have a co-worker once and she studied a college here in  Va Bch and it took her 7th times to pass her nclex. She said she cried when she finally passed. 

45 minutes ago, BerhaeLee said:

I dont think so. I have a co-worker once and she studied a college here in  Va Bch and it took her 7th times to pass her nclex. She said she cried when she finally passed. 

Some people are dumb.  They can make it thru college since it is a controlled enviroment

But when you look at the pass fail rate compared to US school vs International school, it a huge difference in the passing rate 

Edited by Chris Duffy

1 hour ago, Chris Duffy said:

I still make her pay all the household bill like : Electrical Bill, Water Bill, Internet/Cable Bill.  I do make the house payment 

We are getting ready for my wife to go back to school at a Community College to get her RN degree here in the USA. She already has a Bachelors in Teaching from the Philippines but said "Hell to No I am not teaching here in the USA". What got me angry though is one of her pinay friends in CA told her you can make good money doing it, but what she failed to tell my wife is that she works 50 hours a week. Once we finally decided that it was time for her to go back to school, we had to figure for what program. So I had to sit her down and tell her exactly what you said the CNA's are ok but they don't get paid jack and quite frankly it's not worth your time to do and time away from the kids to do that. So we are getting her signed up to start next fall at a Community College here. 

9 hours ago, chwolff11 said:

Thank you

I can't add much to the conversation but in doing a search here on VJ this topic has been discussed quite a bit. It is the search results. I might make for a good read to see what others have faced.

https://www.visajourney.com/sitesearch/?cx=partner-pub-3407508467788263%3A9725800110&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=NCLEX+in+USA

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
1 hour ago, Chris Duffy said:

Some people are dumb.  They can make it thru college since it is a controlled enviroment

But when you look at the pass fail rate compared to US school vs International school, it a huge difference in the passing rate 

Possible. You have a point esp its been a while since she graduate, that will make a difference too. She probably need a refresher course. 

suggestion:

Have her get her CNA or what ever your state calls it. Usually online class for a few weeks and start as nurse assistance.

Get the hospital to foot the bill for her nursing school, this seems to be widely available from most hospitals.

She can be a LVN in one year, RN in two with an associates degree

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 11/19/2018 at 5:35 AM, Chris Duffy said:

suggestion:

Have her get her CNA or what ever your state calls it. Usually online class for a few weeks and start as nurse assistance.

Get the hospital to foot the bill for her nursing school, this seems to be widely available from most hospitals.

She can be a LVN in one year, RN in two with an associates degree

There are pre-requisites for ADN nursing programs that are usually very popular classes and newly enrolled students can't always get into them right away. The pre-requisite classes alone will take a year, so the ADN degree takes more like 3 years. But I highly recommend this path (I did it myself), then do an Online only RN to BSN degree that costs much less. 

But really this is getting ahead of where they are asking, I have a gut feeling that the OP's situation is that she will study and pass the NCLEX :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.