whyIsloveHard

Second time on J1 got proposed to - please help i love him i don't want to make a mistake

44 posts in this topic

As far as proof goes - we have photos of our relationship from the beginning (last year) till now, our texts and calls while we were apart, and we can easily get a joint lease and bank account as well as letters (more then a few) from our friends that confirm the relationship - would that be enough to file?
And i can provide my college enrollment, plane tickets for traveling the US and coming home that i bought prior, and stuff like that that proves that i left an active life back home planing to come back to it, should we send that too? 

29 minutes ago, whyIsloveHard said:

As far as proof goes - we have photos of our relationship from the beginning (last year) till now, our texts and calls while we were apart, and we can easily get a joint lease and bank account as well as letters (more then a few) from our friends that confirm the relationship - would that be enough to file?
And i can provide my college enrollment, plane tickets for traveling the US and coming home that i bought prior, and stuff like that that proves that i left an active life back home planing to come back to it, should we send that too? 

They won't care about your original plans to go home. The I-130 instructions say to provide proof of bonafida marital union, not proof of your original intent to leave the US.

Edited by mushroomspore

10 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

They won't care about your original plans to go home. The I-130 instructions say to provide proof of bonafida marital union, not proof of your original intent to leave the US.

Understood, thank you! Do you think the proof of bonafide that we have so far(that i mentioned above) is enough?
If not i would maybe rather go with a k1 or cr1 because it gives more time to gather everything, but if it sounds enough for the initial filing aos sounds better because at least we are together. 

Edited by whyIsloveHard

2 minutes ago, whyIsloveHard said:

Understood, thank you! Do you think the proof of bonafide that we have so far(that i mentioned above) is enough?
If not i would maybe rather go with a k1 or cr1 because it gives more time to gather everything, but if it sounds enough for the initial filing aos sounds better because at least we are together. 

We provided pretty much the same stuff when we first filed (one joint bank statement, one joint cell phone bill and some letters from family and friends). I personally don't think text messages and phone calls are necessary. They want official papers and they don't have time to read pages of personal text messages. You'll have time until the interview to get more evidence. We had a lot more at ours and our officer gave some of it back because he said the folder couldn't handle any more papers in there.

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

Always helps to quote a thread where this has happened.

I read a lot on this site and just saw people saying lifetime ban, separation, etc. every time someone mentions AOS on a visa that is not k1, and when i called a lawyer he said its a risque - same thing...
So I am really interested how often does it actually happen that a couple decides to get married on a different visa spontaneously and gets punished, separated and deported because of the suspicion of intent? 

I was looking for any case like that on here but didn't come up with anything. 

7 minutes ago, whyIsloveHard said:

So I am really interested how often does it actually happen that a couple decides to get married on a different visa spontaneously and gets punished, separated and deported because of the suspicion of intent? 

I have yet to see 1 case involving the IR of a USC (such as a spouse).

8 minutes ago, whyIsloveHard said:

Which should tell you something. ;)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

6 minutes ago, whyIsloveHard said:

I read a lot on this site and just saw people saying lifetime ban, separation, etc. every time someone mentions AOS on a visa that is not k1, and when i called a lawyer he said its a risque - same thing...

Except lots of people adjust from other visas, which is why this website has TWO sub-forums: 1. AoS from K1 and 2. AoS from Work, Tourist & Student Visas

J1 is a work visa. Read other J1 AoS threads and stop freaking yourself out. If you read interview experiences, you'll find practically NOBODY gets asked, "So what was your original intent with your old visa?".

5 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

J1 is a work visa.

It's a cultural and educational exchange visa that permits work, but is classified by USCIS as a visitor still.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 minute ago, geowrian said:

It's a cultural and educational exchange visa that permits work, but is classified by USCIS as a visitor still.

Oh I always thought it was a work visa since most people I've seen who post about it are au pairs. Thanks for the clarification! Basically though it is not K1 and AoS from it is still allowed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

If i were you, i would do AOS. You have enough evidence to prove your bonafide relationship. Even with K1 and CR1, there is no guarantee and there is risk in everything but in your situation, i think AOS is best option. Getting married is not an issue as you can do court marriage and get marriage certificate. Sooner the better as this AOS process takes time. You should also be prepared not to travel out of country until getting advance parole document. 

I wish you all the best, 

Thank you everyone! You help out so much!!! 
Do you think a lawyer is needed and helpful, or maybe web services like "boundless'' who assist the paperwork, if someone had experience with those?

1 hour ago, AtlToBlr said:

failed

Sure is reinsuring, though i just did stumble on some cases that ware majorly complicated because of that (

) but still not too big of an issue like the ban or something like that.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline
3 hours ago, whyIsloveHard said:

Hello there!

If you were issued a Social Security Number/Card you could have your fiancé add you on his bank accounts, car insurance, etc. It may also be an option for him to add you on his rental agreement or lease.

I was also on a second J1 when my husband proposed unexpectedly and we decided to get married. My particular circumstances inclined me to take the CR1. I needed to return home finish my degree, this also gave me time to gather my documents (birth certificate, police records, etc.). Luckily I was able to visit my husband multiple time using my B1/B2 visa which I had from before my J1s.

A dear friend of mine who was dating an American US Citizen was on her 1st J1 when her boyfriend proposed and they married. Her case is somewhat similar to yours as she had been dating this guy since they met in Peru for about a year or so. She had no issues adjusting status. And she didn’t even use a lawyer: she proved her bonafide with lots of pictures from the time they were dating, and photos of her visiting her soon-to-be in laws at the time.

I hope these two experiences help you feel more comfortable with your decision.

Edited by Mrs. DPK

04/20/17 - Sent I-130 package

04/21/17 - USCIS received I-130 with PD 04/21

04/26/17 - Received hard copy of NOA1

05/26/17 - Sent K-3 package

05/31/17 - USCIS received I-129F with PD 05/31

10/16/17 - I-130 petition approved & notification of I-129F dismissal were issued

10/22/17 - NOA2 sent by E-mail to our lawyer

10/23/17 - Received hard-copies of both notifications (I-130 NOA2 & I-129F dismissal)

11/15/17 - Case was sent to DoS

11/16/17 - Received an e-mail notification of our case being sent to DoS

11/23/17 - NVC received the case (confirmed over the phone on 11/28) Case # not generated yet

12/01/17 - Got the NVC Case # & IIN over the phone

12/05/17 - AoS and IV fees paid Received Welcome letter through e-mail earlier this day.

01/02/18 - NVC packet delivered to/received by NVC

01/05/18 - SD assigned

02/05/18 - CC (First showing "At NVC" on CEAC, then called and confirmed it)

02/13/18 - Received e-mail notification of our CC and it being placed in queue for interview scheduling

02/13/18 - Just got interview date over the phone: 03/20/2018 Operator said that it was scheduled TODAY and that I'd be getting an e-mail with instructions soon

Later on the day I got the e-mail with PDF letter confirming the CC

02/16/18 - Received PDF letter indicating date of interview + instructions CEAC status showing 'In transit'

02/21/18 - CEAC status showing 'Ready'

03/05/18 - Medical exam in Lima, Peru

03/20/18 - Interview date at 10:15 am

03/24/18 - Visa on hand

03/26/18 - Paid the Immigrant Visa Fee

03/28/18 - POE LAX

03/29/18 - Form OS155A ‘Received and in process’

07/13/18 - Status changed to 'Card Is Being Produced' @ the egov.uscis.gov website

07/17/18 - Status changed to 'Card Was Mailed To Me' (this means it was placed in queue to be sent) 

On the myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov site status changed to 'Case Closed Card Is Being Produced Non-DACA'

07/18/18 - Status changed to 'Card Was Picked Up By The USPS' Tracking No. was provided

07/20/18 - Card received 114 after POE 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.