whyIsloveHard

Second time on J1 got proposed to - please help i love him i don't want to make a mistake

44 posts in this topic

Hi, 
Last year i was on a J1 program (5 moths program with no 2 year home ties requirement) and i met a guy i instantly fell in love with, we were dating the whole time knowing that it has to come to an end. When i came back to my home country unexpectedly we stayed in contact, chating here and there once in a few weeks, a few skype calls and so on (not in a long distance relationship just talking frequently). Then one day he came over to visit me, the old flame was back on again but we sadly parted again.  Kept in contact.
This year i went on my J1 program again and saw him, couldn't part how much we missed each other. Now, after my third month passed he proposed to me (feeling like he is the love of my life whom i missed for too many times i instantly said yes). We don't want to waste one more second being apart but we don't want to risk making a wrong move with all these procedures so please give me advice and as fast as possible.
1.I know one option is getting married right away and doing the adjustment of status - but the concerns are - i heard that if they think this was planed or intended there are major consequences, so that makes me worry considering that we have been on and off considering the circumstances of being in a different continent, that they may think it wasn't spontaneous or something like that. Please let me know if this would be an issue?
2. If you think the first option is risque, is it better (more secure and faster) to get married and go back home and apply for a CR1 visa, or maybe just part now again and apply for a F1 fiance visa (heard those were faster so we can be together again sooner)? 
Should note that we don't have any often required "paper" proof of classic marriage yet (just got engaged), like leases or joint accounts so i'm not sure how much time we have to make that happen before filing fort AOS or even the CR1 if i'm overseas. 

Please, please give me advice, everything means a lot. 

No issue marrying and doing AOS now. Intent was determined at the border. You just can’t leave and return to do AOS.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

No issue marrying and doing AOS now. Intent was determined at the border. You just can’t leave and return to do AOS.

Thank you for the reply! 
You don't think our history (the time we know each other and have been on and off) or the short period i am here (couple of moths) would be an issue for an AOS?

2 minutes ago, whyIsloveHard said:

Thank you for the reply! 
You don't think our history (the time we know each other and have been on and off) or the short period i am here (couple of moths) would be an issue for an AOS?

Proving a bona fide relationship is a much tougher issue to evaluate. You know your own relationship and evidence that can be presented best. Keep in mind most AOS interviews are taking around a year or so (varies by office) so you have plenty of time to gather evidence for the interview (in addition to what you already may have).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Proving a bona fide relationship is a much tougher issue to evaluate. You know your own relationship and evidence that can be presented best. Keep in mind most AOS interviews are taking around a year or so (varies by office) so you have plenty of time to gather evidence for the interview (in addition to what you already may have).

Exactly what i'm afraid of - the long time we loved each other and the history we have is in the same time prof of bona fide relationship and a reason to suspect the marriage was pre-intended (even tho the proposal was spontanious) an a risque of being occuesed of visa fraud or something like that...😫

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

See above,

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

AoS is the only option from K1 and not applicable to CR1.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

AoS is the only option from K1 and not applicable to CR1.

Oh no, i am not on a K1 already. I said above that i came in on a J1 and got proposed to so i am considering AoS here, leaving and applying for a K1, and marrying and leaving to apply for a CR1.
Im just thinking what is more safe and secure considering the described situation, but still allows me not to part from my (now)fiancee for too long.

Timeline
37 minutes ago, whyIsloveHard said:

Oh no, i am not on a K1 already. I said above that i came in on a J1 and got proposed to so i am considering AoS here, leaving and applying for a K1, and marrying and leaving to apply for a CR1.
Im just thinking what is more safe and secure considering the described situation, but still allows me not to part from my (now)fiancee for too long.

Those are your options, only you can decide what to do.

6 hours ago, Boiler said:

Those are your options, only you can decide what to do.

With all due respect and thanks for the answer - i am already aware of the options, but I posted here hoping someone with experience with any of these processes would give me their opinion about what they think is the best (and safe) rout considering the circumstances. 
I read a lot about every possible way, but law explanations and expensive lawyer opinions aren't worth nearly as much as the opinions of people who have been actually dealing with these procedures and have experience based advice. 

52 minutes ago, whyIsloveHard said:

With all due respect and thanks for the answer - i am already aware of the options, but I posted here hoping someone with experience with any of these processes would give me their opinion about what they think is the best (and safe) rout considering the circumstances. 
I read a lot about every possible way, but law explanations and expensive lawyer opinions aren't worth nearly as much as the opinions of people who have been actually dealing with these procedures and have experience based advice. 

With all due respect, I think you have the answer you are looking for. People with experience have given you their advice. You can marry and file AOS. As others said, intent is determined at the border and should not be an issue now. 

Proving a bonafide relationship is what you should be focusing on. Read the guides properly and make sure you answer each question fully!

My wife and I were the same way. She was here on F-1 for 2 years even after we got married. After our marriage and before we applied for AOS, she had 3 visits outside the country (1 with me). Intent never came up at the interview. Just telling you this so you feel more comfortable about the intent issue. 

1 hour ago, AtlToBlr said:

With all due respect, I think you have the answer you are looking for. People with experience have given you their advice. You can marry and file AOS. As others said, intent is determined at the border and should not be an issue now. 

Proving a bonafide relationship is what you should be focusing on. Read the guides properly and make sure you answer each question fully!

My wife and I were the same way. She was here on F-1 for 2 years even after we got married. After our marriage and before we applied for AOS, she had 3 visits outside the country (1 with me). Intent never came up at the interview. Just telling you this so you feel more comfortable about the intent issue. 

Thank you very much! This means a lot. 

Depends on what you mean by "safe".  The safest way would be to go back and file for k-1, or get married and go back and file CR-1. 

Getting married and filing AOS now is doable.  But it's not 100% risk free.  If you happen to get a bad IO to interview you, who knows if he doesn't decide that this was planned.  I read the posts that said "Intent is determined at the border", but if some IO is convinced that this was planned, that won't stop him from trying to mess things up for you.This option may be considered safe for the most part, but it doesn't come without some risk, no matter how small.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.