Bjh

Language differences - how much of a problem?

25 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Bjh said:

I see...we had like 1 mutual friend, but it was a pretty random add. Does this matter if we have and can demonstrate a bonafide relationship though?

I don't know if it will matter, I'm just being pragmatic - people have had RFEs in the past to prove how they initially met or to prove that the website they met on wasn't an IMB - so it makes sense to me to be prepared and have an answer for any potential questions or an explination for things that COs may see as a red flag, 

If I were a CO and conducting an interview, bearing in mind that one of the first questions is "how did you meet your SO?" if someone said "Facebook" I'd want more information - was it via a group for mutual interests, mutual friends or whatever. If it was a "random add" then I'd 100% be asking more questions, because (as a girl myself) I can promise that the vast majority of girls get enough skeezy guys sending them gross messages or randomly adding you as a friend that you don't go around randomly adding total strangers, especially ones that live in another country. (And strangely enough, this stopped as soon as I changed my profile picture to one of me & my SO)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

I don't know if it will matter, I'm just being pragmatic - people have had RFEs in the past to prove how they initially met or to prove that the website they met on wasn't an IMB - so it makes sense to me to be prepared and have an answer for any potential questions or an explination for things that COs may see as a red flag, 

If I were a CO and conducting an interview, bearing in mind that one of the first questions is "how did you meet your SO?" if someone said "Facebook" I'd want more information - was it via a group for mutual interests, mutual friends or whatever. If it was a "random add" then I'd 100% be asking more questions, because (as a girl myself) I can promise that the vast majority of girls get enough skeezy guys sending them gross messages or randomly adding you as a friend that you don't go around randomly adding total strangers, especially ones that live in another country. (And strangely enough, this stopped as soon as I changed my profile picture to one of me & my SO)

I guess I could give them Facebook's terms of service, because it's not an IMB, and our very first messages between each other, but even if it was a random add, and we were not in any groups together beforehand, why does it matter if we have had plenty of dating and face to face interaction and show that?

4 minutes ago, Bjh said:

I guess I could give them Facebook's terms of service, because it's not an IMB, and our very first messages between each other, but even if it was a random add, and we were not in any groups together beforehand, why does it matter if we have had plenty of dating and face to face interaction and show that?

I'm not saying it DOES matter, I'm simply saying you'd better have an answer in case the CO asks. 

More suspicious minds than you - people who think sneakily like me or CO's (who see it all the time) would wonder why a girl from Brazil randomly added a guy she'd never met or even talked to before, who lives in the US -  unless it was specifically because she was adding a bunch of guys from the US in the hopes of landing one who'd petition for her to get a green card which may imply potential for fraud. 

As I said before, I'm not say that's the case, what I'm saying is that you should be prepared to prove that it's NOT the case by ensuring that you've got answers for those questions if they're asked.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Bjh said:

It doesn't matter

YMMV

Timeline
24 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

I'm not saying it DOES matter, I'm simply saying you'd better have an answer in case the CO asks. 

More suspicious minds than you - people who think sneakily like me or CO's (who see it all the time) would wonder why a girl from Brazil randomly added a guy she'd never met or even talked to before, who lives in the US -  unless it was specifically because she was adding a bunch of guys from the US in the hopes of landing one who'd petition for her to get a green card which may imply potential for fraud. 

As I said before, I'm not say that's the case, what I'm saying is that you should be prepared to prove that it's NOT the case by ensuring that you've got answers for those questions if they're asked.

If you don't know or aren't saying it matters, why are you offering advice on it?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If she's learning English and you are learning Portuguese, I don't see it as an issue.

She's got time to learn before an interview.

Also you said you are waiting to file until after Xmas?

Why wait? Haven't you already met the 2 year condition? if so, file now and save time waiting.

For filing now, you don't need all of those pics with her family. Just one of the two of you, and get copy of her Passport proving she was here.

Those pics with you and family, will only be helpful when SHE interviews, if they even ask. Your xmas trip will also help cement your relationship. So unless there is an issue, I'd file now and get it going, then enjoy your x-mas there and not worry about anything.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, MikeMc said:

If she's learning English and you are learning Portuguese, I don't see it as an issue.

She's got time to learn before an interview.

Also you said you are waiting to file until after Xmas?

Why wait? Haven't you already met the 2 year condition? if so, file now and save time waiting.

For filing now, you don't need all of those pics with her family. Just one of the two of you, and get copy of her Passport proving she was here.

Those pics with you and family, will only be helpful when SHE interviews, if they even ask. Your xmas trip will also help cement your relationship. So unless there is an issue, I'd file now and get it going, then enjoy your x-mas there and not worry about anything.

I need a proper US passport style photo taken within 30 days of sending in the app and the letter of intent for her to marry within 90 days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Bjh said:

I need a proper US passport style photo taken within 30 days of sending in the app and the letter of intent for her to marry within 90 days. 

She can email both of those to you.

You go to a Wal-greens and print out the electronic copy of the passport, tell them you need it US PP size (print 2) and print her name on the back.

As for letter of Intent, she can SIGN one, scan it and sent it to you. Just so long as her signature is not digital, it is accepted.

Edited by MikeMc

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

You seem to have a lot of face to face time and in my opinion the language thing wouldn’t be an issue. Now if you met once and neither of you understood one another that may be a red flag. 

Just for some advice - I have a friend who’s now husband is from Brazil and he’s having trouble getting a job and navigating things here...so definitely encourage her to continue to work on her English it will help with assimilating greatly 😃

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

just a note to others who may not be from Brazil

this is a problem in many high fraud countries

you would not get a spouse or finance visa in African countries if u do not do the interview in English

and show u communicate during the courting time in English

Edited by adil-rafa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.