Marta Proniagina

Medicaid for pregnant woman with 864 affidavit

55 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello everyone. I'm looking for some help regarding my situation. My situation might be a little confusing but maybe someone dealt with anything like this. 
I am a green card holder, got married to my husband (USC) under k1 visa earlier this year. 

I am currently pregnant and uninsured. 

On november 1st we applied for Marketplace insurance and stated only my husband's income (I have started a part time job with unstable hours the same day and as I haven't received any paycheck yet) and the marketplace said I might be eligible for medicaid. I called the medicaid and they said i should apply and see the results. So, I did that and a week later we calculated that my husbands' income is going to be higher than we stated in both marketplace and medicaid applications plus I have found out more about my job's hours so I could predicts some income). I called both of the agencies, and they changed our income info which made me eligible for a marketplace insurance. However, yesterday I found out that I got eligible for the medicaid as well (even though our income is slightly higher than their guidelines and I have written a comment about the affidavit of support). So, now I am very confused on what to do. Because marketplace says as soon as I am eligible for medicaid, i lose eligibility for marketplace premiums. And medicaid might be bad for me and my husband because of the affidavit and future ROC and citizenship process.

Any ideas on what to do now? All the contact centers are closed due to the holiday and I am just being super nervous about this situation. Wish I just never sent the medicaid application but I also was rather positive that I'll be denied because of the income.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Marta Proniagina said:

Hello everyone. I'm looking for some help regarding my situation. My situation might be a little confusing but maybe someone dealt with anything like this. 
I am a green card holder, got married to my husband (USC) under k1 visa earlier this year. 

On november 1st we applied for Marketplace insurance and stated only my husband's income (I have started a part time job with unstable hours the same day and as I haven't received any paycheck yet) and the marketplace said I might be eligible for medicaid. I called the medicaid and they said i should apply and see the results. So, I did that and a week later we calculated that my husbands' income is going to be higher than we stated in both marketplace and medicaid applications plus I have found out more about my job's hours so I could predicts some income). I called both of the agencies, and they changed our income info which made me eligible for a marketplace insurance. However, yesterday I found out that I got eligible for the medicaid as well (even though our income is slightly higher than their guidelines and I have written a comment about the affidavit of support). So, now I am very confused on what to do. Because marketplace says as soon as I am eligible for medicaid, i lose eligibility for marketplace premiums. And medicaid might be bad for me and my husband because of the affidavit and future ROC and citizenship process.

Any ideas on what to do now? All the contact centers are closed due to the holiday and I am just being super nervous about this situation. Wish I just never sent the medicaid application but I also was rather positive that I'll be denied because of the income.

You don't qualify for Medicaid.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline
2 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

You don't qualify for Medicaid.

But i've already got the notice of approval. So now if I decide not to use it, I still won't be able to get Obamacare. Am I right?

Why did you even apply for Medicaid? Those ppl on Marketplace insurance are not immigration experts. They are simply a point of contact person who get their information from prewritten scripts.

You said you knew you would be denied so why even apply when you know that you can't become a public charge? That is the whole point of the affidavit of support.

But to answer your question, you should still be eligible for ACA. Contact the medicaid personnel to inform them that you would not be taking it if you want to get ACA.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
1 minute ago, bakphx1 said:

Trump has been talking about denying green cards to immigrants using Medicaid or subsidized ACA premiums.  I don’t know where that idea is in terms of going into effect, but I would research that extremely closely before proceeding.  Also remember your husband signed forms saying you wouldn’t take public benefits.  This doesn’t stop people from being enrolled, but they sometimes chase the sponsor down for reimbursement.  It could also have implications at citizenship.

I would check self pay maternity packages that can be pretty reasonable if you think that your pregnancy is uncomplicated.  I wouldn’t go on the public assistance radar.

Unfortunately, our hospital does not really have maternity packages. and we live in a small area with limited access to providers within the driving distance. so, marketplace sounds as a better option to me under current circumstances. I just hope that I would still qualify for their premiums...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Medicaid normally you have to be here for 5 years, couple of exceptions.  Emergency Medicaid is different. Which State do you live in? 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

That's why you shouldn't apply for Medicaid after u signed DS-260 saying you wouldn't be a public charge. When u are a GC holder, u can't apply for any government public assistance. U have to wait until u are a USC to apply for it. 

There's options to find medical insurance to meet ur income. 

My husband who is a GC holder and just applied for his own medical insurance that will be deducted from his paychecks. None from government public assistance. We don't want the government going after the joint sponsors to pay back if my husband applies for public assistance. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Medicaid normally you have to be here for 5 years, couple of exceptions.  Emergency Medicaid is different. Which State do you live in? 

I'm in Nebraska. They give medicaid to LPRs at any time. especially if pregnant

6 minutes ago, TheAkazs said:

That's why you shouldn't apply for Medicaid after u signed DS-260 saying you wouldn't be a public charge. When u are a GC holder, u can't apply for any government public assistance. U have to wait until u are a USC to apply for it. 

There's options to find medical insurance to meet ur income. 

My husband who is a GC holder and just applied for his own medical insurance that will be deducted from his paychecks. None from government public assistance. We don't want the government going after the joint sponsors to pay back if my husband applies for public assistance. 

Now I get it.. I  wish I didn't apply.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Marta Proniagina said:

I'm in Nebraska. They give medicaid to LPRs at any time. especially if pregnant

Now I get it.. I  wish I didn't apply.

http://enroll-ne.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Enroll-NE-Immigrant-Eligibility-Guide-4.16.pdf

You can read for yourself.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

There are exceptions to the five-year bar.11 These include:

• 1) Refugees, asylees, and LPRs who used to be refugees or asylees; veterans, active duty military, and their families

• 2) Certain trafficking victims

• 3) “Lawfully residing” pregnant women and children (see ICHIA below)

From the link above:

"Five-Year Bar

Some qualified immigrants who entered the U.S. after 1996 must wait for a period of five years before they are eligible for Medicaid; this is known as “the five-year bar.” Except as discussed below, qualified immigrants must wait five years after receiving a qualified immigration status before they are eligible for Medicaid and CHIP coverage

Legal Immigrant Children’s Health Improvement Act (ICHIA)

Lawfully residing pregnant women and children are exempt from the five-year bar if they meet the following eligibility requirements. Applicants must:

• Be immigrant children or pregnant women;

• Otherwise meet state Medicaid and CHIP eligibility requirements (i.e., income, etc);

• Be “lawfully present” in the U.S. This includes “qualified immigrants” (discussed above) and a number of additional lawfully present categories listed in 8 C.F.R. 103.12(a); and

• Be a Nebraska resident."

1 hour ago, Marta Proniagina said:

And there is the underlying root of the problem.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

well, birth control is cheaper than insurance or babies but too late for that memo. 😕

I would not, under ANY circumstances, accept the medicaid. Get on your husbands insurance (should have been there anyways) or buy your own. With the current leanings towards making it harder for those who have taken any form of public assistance to obtain ROC or citizenship, I would stay far far away from it. If already approved, go back to the office and say you want to cancel it IMMEDIATELY. don't use it at ALL.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I don't really see any reason not to take it if you were approved so long as you were truthful on your application. Most important thing is to get decent healthcare for you and the child of a USC. Trump said this of that blah blah blah. Show us a case where someone had a negative outcome and we can compare. I-864 is pretty much an honor system document.

Note that while the people who do the medicaid papers aren't up to speed with immigration, there can also be a lot of holes that get fallen through.

I had medicaid as a USC, for the first year of having it, they didn't even ask for any form of identification. Nothing was signed, everything was over the phone and online. When I went to renew medicaid, they realized they didn't have a photo ID or anything proving I was who I was, yet they totally just gave it all to me for a year.

As others have said, get on your husbands insurance or purchase through the market place. Don't risk getting medicaid, it's not worth it.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.