Ninja Joe

Can't Take Shots at Medical Checkup

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

My fiancee just went for her medical checkup ahead of her interview for her K-1 Visa. Prior to going, she had researched and discovered that several of the shots they make you take contain egg. She has an extreme allergy to eggs, I mean, the type where if she takes even a little bit, would land her in the emergency room for difficulty breathing and she could even faint (it's happened to her before). She explained to the nurse and doctor her allergic condition and they did not apply the shots.

My question is, will they deny her K-1 Visa just because of that? Otherwise, she's in great physical shape. She also told me she will be visiting an allergist to get a written and signed affidavit stating her allergic condition and stating that, medically, she can't take any shots with egg content. The affidavit will also list her allergies so that they don't think she just didn't wanna take the shots.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I'm glad to hear they didn't force her to have the shots. Technically, a K-1 visa doesn't require vaccinations to enter the USA. However, they are required in the AOS process. So it won't affect her being granted the K-1 visa, but it could impact things after she is in the USA. I don't know if there are alternatives here for her to take the shots without an egg based vaccine or what the options are in the AOS process, I haven't made it that far myself. :) But at least I can tell you that she doesn't need them to arrive here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

That's good news, thank you.😊👍 She actually read that here in the U.S., we have developed vaccines without egg content specifically for allergics. That is our goal: When she arrives here, request shots safe for allergic people.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

As above was mentioned nicely, I would like to add in a bit of more detail.

After she entered in the states, I'm sure you all can find a location that will serve shot without the eggs provided in the ingredients. There are some places that serve these.

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Moon&Stars said:

I'm glad to hear they didn't force her to have the shots. Technically, a K-1 visa doesn't require vaccinations to enter the USA. However, they are required in the AOS process. So it won't affect her being granted the K-1 visa, but it could impact things after she is in the USA. I don't know if there are alternatives here for her to take the shots without an egg based vaccine or what the options are in the AOS process, I haven't made it that far myself. :) But at least I can tell you that she doesn't need them to arrive here.

K-1 No Imunication ? I would like to see which embassy will approve that visa.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
43 minutes ago, Calicolom said:

My USE website in Kiev in Medical Instructions says vaccinations are not obligatory for K1/K2 applicants since they formally are not immigrants. Why wouldn't they approve? Besides, like 3 shots needed for my age are simply not available in Ukraine, not in a private clinic. Period.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline
3 hours ago, Calicolom said:

All of them. It's not a requirement since it's technically not an immigrant visa. See this from the state departments website...it says the vaccinations are encouraged since they will be required at the adjustment of status. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#7

5 hours ago, Ninja Joe said:

My fiancee just went for her medical checkup ahead of her interview for her K-1 Visa. Prior to going, she had researched and discovered that several of the shots they make you take contain egg. She has an extreme allergy to eggs, I mean, the type where if she takes even a little bit, would land her in the emergency room for difficulty breathing and she could even faint (it's happened to her before). She explained to the nurse and doctor her allergic condition and they did not apply the shots.

My question is, will they deny her K-1 Visa just because of that? Otherwise, she's in great physical shape. She also told me she will be visiting an allergist to get a written and signed affidavit stating her allergic condition and stating that, medically, she can't take any shots with egg content. The affidavit will also list her allergies so that they don't think she just didn't wanna take the shots.

No they will not deny her because of the vaccination. Certain waivers of the vaccination requirement are available upon the recommendation of the panel physician.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/vaccinations.html  and

K visa applicants are encouraged to get the vaccinations required under U.S. immigration law for immigrant visa applicants.  Although such vaccinations are not required for K visa issuance, they will be required when adjusting status to that of legal permanent resident following your marriage. Applicants are therefore encouraged to fulfill these vaccination requirements at the time of the medical examination.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Moon&Stars said:

All of them. It's not a requirement since it's technically not an immigrant visa. See this from the state departments website...it says the vaccinations are encouraged since they will be required at the adjustment of status. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#7

Not all of them. You will not get a release of your medical in Canada without having all the vaccines required for you age. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

5 hours ago, Calicolom said:

K-1 No Imunication [immunizations] ? I would like to see which embassy will approve that visa.

See @Moon&Stars and my reply to the OP.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

No they will deny her because of the vaccination. Certain waivers of the vaccination requirement are available upon the recommendation of the panel physician.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/vaccinations.html

No. This is at Kiev embassy website

Screenshot_20181112-012546.png

2 minutes ago, HP+IC said:

No. This is at Kiev embassy website

Yes. This is the DOS website of which the Kiev US Embassy is required to follow. I'd like the full link to that quote you made because you only show a portion of the entire quote.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Yes. This is the DOS website of which the Kiev US Embassy is required to follow. I'd like the full link to that quote you made because you only show a portion of the entire quote.

Always welcome ;)https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/KEV_Kyiv.html

Just follow the link to instructions and voila

Ok, you have to go to K1 medical and see what is required to bring with you till you see 

• Vaccination chart with the seal of the issuing clinic(mandatory for immigrants, optional for K visa applicants) If you go further there is a link to vaccinations which yields the photo I've taken
Edited by HP+IC

3 minutes ago, HP+IC said:

Checkmate. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/KEV_Kyiv.html#vaccination_requirements

Vaccination Requirements

For Immigrant Visa Applicants Only, not for K visa applicants

U.S. immigration law requires immigrant visa applicants to obtain certain vaccinations (listed below) prior to the issuance of an immigrant visa. Panel physicians who conduct medical examinations are required to verify that immigrant visa applicants have met vaccination requirements, or that it is medically inappropriate for the visa applicant to receive one or more of the listed vaccinations:

Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, rotavirus, hib, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, meningococcal, varicella, pneumococcal, influenza

In order to assist the panel physician and to avoid delays in the processing of an immigrant visa, all immigrant visa applicants should have their vaccination records available for the panel physician’s review at the time of the immigrant medical examination. Visa applicants should consult with their regular health care provider to obtain a copy of their immunization record, if one is available. If you do not have a vaccination record, the panel physician will work with you to determine which vaccinations you may need to meet the requirements. Certain waivers of the vaccination requirement are available upon the recommendation of the panel physician. Only a physician can determine which of the listed vaccinations are medically appropriate for you, given your age, medical history, and current medical condition.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.