jackson6658

What if emergency happend before AP

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
3 hours ago, MapleLeaf29 said:

November 2017 - husband received EAD/AP card

July 2018 - submitted EAD/AP renewal paperwork; still waiting for renewed EAD/AP card

Why didn't he submit his EAD/AP renewal in May 2018? https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/employment-authorization-document:

Renewal EAD

If you are still eligible for employment authorization but your EAD will be expiring or has expired, you should file for a renewal EAD by submitting a new Form I-765 and filing fee (if required), unless a fee waiver is requested and approved. Generally, you should not file for a renewal EAD more than 180 days before your original EAD expires.

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

@geowrian  has the best advice. If I were you, I’d find something else to occupy my mind. Good luck!  

It's insane to me that EAP/AP is not given along with the K1 visa. I understand waiting 4-6 months for AP/EAD if you're AOSing from a F1/B2/VWP, but a K1 !?!? 

You could go through 9-10 months of waiting for the K1, then marry, then file for AOS, and if an emergency crops up 3 months later and you can't get AP in time, you're forced to go the CR1 route ?!?! Ugh. That's like 15 months potentially wasted, and tons of money as well, and you're looking at another 12-14 months of waiting (and more fees). 

A bit off topic, but god has the K1 become a #### deal. 9-10 months apart before getting the K1 (a big hassle), then you have get married and file for AOS (a big hassle), then you have to wait 4-6 months for AP/EAD to be able to do anything, then potentially an AOS interview etc., all for a 2 year card. And shortly afterwards, you need to remove conditions! 

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove alternate spelling of profanity.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

16 minutes ago, FluffyBalls said:

It's insane to me that EAP/AP is not given along with the K1 visa. I understand waiting 4-6 months for AP/EAD if you're AOSing from a F1/B2/VWP, but a K1 !?!? 

You could go through 9-10 months of waiting for the K1, then marry, then file for AOS, and if an emergency crops up 3 months later and you can't get AP in time, you're forced to go the CR1 route ?!?! Ugh. That's like 15 months potentially wasted, and tons of money as well, and you're looking at another 12-14 months of waiting (and more fees). 

A bit off topic, but god has the K1 become a #### deal. 9-10 months apart before getting the K1 (a big hassle), then you have get married and file for AOS (a big hassle), then you have to wait 4-6 months for AP/EAD to be able to do anything, then potentially an AOS interview etc., all for a 2 year card. And shortly afterwards, you need to remove conditions! 

I agree that there are many disadvantages to a K-1........unfortunately.

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove alternate spelling of profanity in quote.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

4 hours ago, FluffyBalls said:

You’re preaching to the choir!  :rofl:

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove alternate spelling of profanity in quote.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/10/2018 at 3:10 PM, TM92 said:

Why didn't he submit his EAD/AP renewal in May 2018? https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/employment-authorization-document:

Because we had booked a trip to Spain (I received a grant to travel and study there).  We thought about having me go to Spain by myself, but then we decided we really wanted to go together, so we waited to submit his renewal until July.  We have a 6-month grace period where he can continue working while he is waiting for the EAD/AP renewal, and we are hoping that his green card will arrive before that 6 months is over.

Click here for K1:

Spoiler

11/19/2016                 Mailed I-129F packet
11/21/2016                 NOA1 received date
11/25/2016                 Date on NOA1 hard copy
11/28/2016                 NOA1 arrived in the mail
02/16/2017                 NOA2 (USCIS website and Case Tracker app)
02/21/2017                 NOA2 arrived in the mail
03/08/2017                 Case arrived at the NVC
03/09/2017                 NVC assigned case number
03/13/2017                 Case left the NVC
03/17/2017                 Case arrived in Montreal; status updated to "Ready"
03/17/2017                 Submitted DS-160
03/18/2017                 E-mailed Packet 3 to Montreal
03/20/2017                 Received Packet 4
04/26/2017                 Visa interview in Montreal - Approved!!!
04/27/2017                 CEAC status changed from "Administrative Processing" to "Visa Issued".
04/28/2017                 Visa arrived
05/29/2017                 POE Toronto (Pre-Clearance)/Minneapolis
06/01/2017                 Legal marriage
07/29/2017                 Wedding ceremony with family and friends

Marriage-Based Adjustment of Status:

06/16/2017                 Mailed AOS packet to Chicago lockbox

06/19/2017                 Chicago lockbox received

07/03/2017                 Notification texts & e-mails

07/12/2017                 NOA hard copies arrived in the mail

07/25/2017                 Biometrics letter arrived

08/02/2017                 Biometrics appointment

11/06/2017                 EAD and AP approval notice arrived in the mail

11/08/2017                 EAD card arrived (145 days after we sent our AOS packet)

03/15/2018                 Status changed to "Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview"

07/21/2018                 Submitted paperwork to renew EAD/AP

09/01/2018                 Interview notice arrived in the mail

10/03/2018                 AOS interview (474 days after we mailed our paperwork)

11/08/2018                 InfoPass appointment to inquire about green card.  Learned that our file had been moved to the
                                       storage room for approved cases, but had not been marked "approved" in the computer system.

11/16/2018                 Online case status changed to "approved" (44 days after AOS interview)

11/21/2018                 Green card was mailed

11/24/2018                 Green card arrived!!!!!  (526 days after applying for AOS)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.