charlieandgrace

Name misspellinh on m/c

18 posts in this topic

Hi I'm in the process of starting the process of filing  I-130.  My middle names are misspelled on the marriage certificate.  My middle names are Raphael Gerard. They are spelled Rafael Gerald. My questions are: 1. Would it be possible to  submit the m/c as it is and submit along with it of course my b/c, passport and copy of my ssn card? I have a Certificate of Change Name from City Civil Registrar. 2. What is the likelihood that this would be viewed as a typo and accepted? And 3. How does one go about having this corrected? This has been a monumental ordeal to try to get this corrected. Can someone give me some advice/pointers? We were married at Manila City Hall. Thanks in advance

10 minutes ago, charlieandgrace said:

Hi I'm in the process of starting the process of filing  I-130.  My middle names are misspelled on the marriage certificate.  My middle names are Raphael Gerard. They are spelled Rafael Gerald. My questions are: 1. Would it be possible to  submit the m/c as it is and submit along with it of course my b/c, passport and copy of my ssn card? I have a Certificate of Change Name from City Civil Registrar. 2. What is the likelihood that this would be viewed as a typo and accepted? And 3. How does one go about having this corrected? This has been a monumental ordeal to try to get this corrected. Can someone give me some advice/pointers? We were married at Manila City Hall. Thanks in advance

Welcome.  It really helps us if you fill out your timeline.  

My wife is in the Philippines, too.  We just married in June. I suggest going to PSA with her passport and correct the misspelling.  It would be much smoother if the marriage certificate matches the passport name.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

have the marriage certificate corrected

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

2 minutes ago, charlieandgrace said:

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, it was my name that was misspelled. My middle names are Raphael Gerard. My names on the marriage certificate are Rafael Gerald. My  passport, birth certificate and ssn card are spelled correctly. So, it's MY name thar needs to be corrected. I hope this helps

The USC name?  Hmmmm My first thought is you are OK.  It still won't hurt to have her go to PSA to get it corrected.  I don't think there would be a problem from USCIS but better safe than sorry.  Where are you at in the process?  Has the I-130 and I-130a been submitted yet?  You can bring the corrected marriage certificate to the interview or if they question it with an RFE, you will already have the corrected version in hand.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Thanks, no I have not submitted the I-130. That's what I was thinking. Just bring the corrected marriage certificate to the interview. Yes, I am the U.S. citizen. So, where would you go about getting the marriage certificate corrected at? City Hall(they screwed up my name to begin with. I don't have much faith in them. My wife refers to them as NSO)? Or is it possible to go directly tp the PSA and have it corrected there. Any help/ideas is greatly appreciated. Thanks

1 hour ago, charlieandgrace said:

Thanks, no I have not submitted the I-130. That's what I was thinking. Just bring the corrected marriage certificate to the interview. Yes, I am the U.S. citizen. So, where would you go about getting the marriage certificate corrected at? City Hall(they screwed up my name to begin with. I don't have much faith in them. My wife refers to them as NSO)? Or is it possible to go directly tp the PSA and have it corrected there. Any help/ideas is greatly appreciated. Thanks

You can go directly to PSA to get that fixed.  They used to be known as NSO but I think that changed a few years ago.  Personally, I think having the best and most accurate files included with the petition is not a bad idea.  It will only take a couple days or maybe even less for PSA to issue the corrected certificate.  

I would hate to be worrying for the next 9 months waiting on a potential RFE.  I would just get the new certificate (get a few copies directly from them - they are just a few pesos each) and file the petition with the corrected one.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Thanks John, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I was reading on the PSA website and it indicated that all corrections should be made with the Local Civil Registry Office. So, I don't think we could go directly to the PSA. Although, it probably would be much easier and faster. Like I said this been a monumental ordeal getting this correct. So, any ideas oe helpful hints are greatly appreciated 

42 minutes ago, charlieandgrace said:

Thanks John, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I was reading on the PSA website and it indicated that all corrections should be made with the Local Civil Registry Office. So, I don't think we could go directly to the PSA. Although, it probably would be much easier and faster. Like I said this been a monumental ordeal getting this correct. So, any ideas oe helpful hints are greatly appreciated 

Wow.  Let me check with the wife on her thoughts.  After we married we were able to hand deliver the marriage certificate to PSA and they had the "official" PSA certified version back in a month.  She was able to just go to PSA and that sped things up a bit.  I will get her thoughts.  I still believe that PSA may be able to help directly but I also understand that the local registrar needs to make the change too.

This is totally my own opinion but if I were in that situation, I would file the CR-1 with the incorrect MC and go to the local registrar ASAP.  Make the changes and either USCIS doesn't catch this or if the do they send an RFE which you are already prepared to answer.  

Getting it corrected should be a priority but I would probably take a chance and file with the incorrect MC.  Keep in mind that my track record with our K-1 was not good so my opinion may totally be wrong.  I do not consider the incorrect spelling a problem at this point but I would get the corrected version ASAP.

IMG_5168.jpeg

5 minutes ago, charlieandgrace said:

Thanks John I'm inclined to go ahead and file the I-130 and be prepared to provide the corrected version later.  If possible, can you find out if it's possible to get the marriage certificate corrected at the PSA? I just think it would be so much easier and less red tape than at City Hall

I will ask Rose as soon as she wakes up!  For some reason I believe you can go to PSA directly and then just visit the local registrar to have them make the correction so the files match.  I will let you know.  Her family has very deep ties to the town she is in and she has friends at PSA.

Edited by John & Rose

IMG_5168.jpeg

It would have been better if it was fixed at the Local Civil Registrar before it was sent off for encoding and sending it to the PSA. According to my wife for example on her uncle's birth certificate it took 9 months to be fixed. 

Wrong spelling on the name of bride and/or groom

The first name of the bride and/or groom entered in the Certificate of Marriage (COM) is different from the first name as appearing in the registered Certificate of Live Birth (COLB). For example: the first name in the COLB is "Maria Ana" but in the COM is "Ma. Anna, the correct first name used is "Maria Ana".

How to correct

A petition for the correction of entry/ies through RA 9048 is to be filed at the Local Civil Registry Office (LCRO) where the COM was registered.

Fees

Under RA 9048 law, the City/Municipal Civil Registrar (C/MCR) or District/Circuit Registrar (C/DR) shall collect a fee of P 1,000.00 for filing a petition for correction of entries.

https://psa.gov.ph/civilregistration/problems-and-solutions/wrong-spelling-name-bride-andor-groom

So you may have to submit it as is for now if you have a PSA copy and wait on the corrected one for the embassy in 9-12 months.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.