mumununu

Could joint-sponsor's lack of financial evidence lead to visa denial?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

So I have my IR-1 interview scheduled next month in the embassy and are preparing for documents to bring.

My husband(US citizen) as the principal sponsor has enough asset just a little bit more than the requested criteria. To be safe, we asked his father to be our joint-sponsor. He sent his W-2 as financial evidence to NVC

I received a letter from NVC to request me to bring my joint-sponsor's latest tax transcript to the interview.

Problem is that my father-in-law despite his willingness to help us, doesn't want to mail or email his tax information to us for fear of safety reasons during the mailing (he can send it directly to a US agency but both NVC and the embassy insist me to bring it to the interview), 

NVC said if it is requested document, then they advise me to bring it to the interview, or it could lead to a possible delay of the visa approval. The embassy said it's up to the visa officer to decide whether the document is necessary or not. 

Should I be concerned of possible denial of visa just because i don't have this tax info?  My husband has enough asset to support, would that be enough despite lack of document from the joint sponsor? If it is denied, how long would it take to reschedule another interview? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

You could suggest he seal it in an envelope with a notice of it being opened by embassy only. I know of course you could still open it but maybe he would feel a little better in regards to his privacy. 

A W2 doesn't show you filed taxes...only that you received a W2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 hours ago, mumununu said:

Problem is that my father-in-law despite his willingness to help us, doesn't want to mail or email his tax information to us for fear of safety reasons during the mailing (he can send it directly to a US agency but both NVC and the embassy insist me to bring it to the interview), 

Why can't he just send you a copy electronically?   No mail involved.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Thanks for all the replies. They are better explained than from NVC of embassy stuff...

My father-in-law also doesn't think emailing is safe...

I think we have enough assets and will just use the petitioner's I-864 as proof. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, mumununu said:

I'm curious as to how he had planned to "send it directly to a US agency"......Honestly, it sounds like he just doesn't want you to see it......good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

50 minutes ago, mumununu said:

Thanks for all the replies. They are better explained than from NVC of embassy stuff...

I think we have enough assets and will just use the petitioner's I-864 as proof. 

Remember that I believe assets must be at least worth 5 times poverty level.  Many embassies do not allow assets to be used.  Check with the embassy first.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
13 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Remember that I believe assets must be at least worth 5 times poverty level.  Many embassies do not allow assets to be used.  Check with the embassy first.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check with the embassy first!

Isn't it 3 times of poverty level if it is US citizen applying for the spouse?

------"Item Number 10. Total Value of Assets. In order to qualify based on the value of your assets, the total value of your assets must equal at least five times the difference between your total household income and the current Federal Poverty Guidelines for your household size. However, if you are a U.S. citizen and you are sponsoring your spouse or child age 18 years of age or older, the total value of your assets must only be equal to at least three times the difference. If the intending immigrant is a foreign national orphan who will be adopted in the United States after he or she acquires legal permanent residence, and who will, as a result, acquire citizenship under section 320 of the INA, the total value of your assets need only equal the difference."

Timeline

1 hour ago, missileman said:

I'm curious as to how he had planned to "send it directly to a US agency"......Honestly, it sounds like he just doesn't want you to see it......good luck.

Thanks. He might just genuinely believe it's not safe to mail or email personal tax info abroad to a civilian in a strange country.....or he has his own reasons...whatever it is,  we don't want to make him do things uncomfortable with.

8 minutes ago, mumununu said:

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check with the embassy first!

Isn't it 3 times of poverty level if it is US citizen applying for the spouse?

------"Item Number 10. Total Value of Assets. In order to qualify based on the value of your assets, the total value of your assets must equal at least five times the difference between your total household income and the current Federal Poverty Guidelines for your household size. However, if you are a U.S. citizen and you are sponsoring your spouse or child age 18 years of age or older, the total value of your assets must only be equal to at least three times the difference. If the intending immigrant is a foreign national orphan who will be adopted in the United States after he or she acquires legal permanent residence, and who will, as a result, acquire citizenship under section 320 of the INA, the total value of your assets need only equal the difference."

If you meet the second part it is 3 times but they look for liquidity (must be able to turn into cash within 12 months if needed) and cannot be your main home or car.  Assets are a tough sell at many embassies.  You can have income and assets to help you.  Is it just you and your spouse or is there a step child too?

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
2 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

If you meet the second part it is 3 times but they look for liquidity (must be able to turn into cash within 12 months if needed) and cannot be your main home or car.  Assets are a tough sell at many embassies.  You can have income and assets to help you.  Is it just you and your spouse or is there a step child too?

Its just me and my spouse.

we have cash value that meets the 3 times difference. 

My husband has income here in Taiwan, but we plan to move back to the States--that means this income will not be sustained, so we assume this foreign income might not help.

4 minutes ago, mumununu said:

Its just me and my spouse.

we have cash value that meets the 3 times difference. 

My husband has income here in Taiwan, but we plan to move back to the States--that means this income will not be sustained, so we assume this foreign income might not help.

Foreign income that won't be continuing won't help.  Liquid assets do as long as the embassy allows that.  Can he go back to the states sooner and get a job?  Having current employment in there US will help a lot.  

How are you dealing with US domicile?

Edited by John & Rose

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
1 minute ago, John & Rose said:

Foreign income that won't be continuing won't help.  Liquid assets do as long as the embassy allows that.  Can he go back to the states sooner and get a job?  Having current employment in there US will help a lot.  

How are you dealing with US domicile?

Yeah he's looking for a job right now in the US, but it might not come sooner before my interview.

He has his driving license, voting record, bank record and a letter from his dad to show his domicile and that he's moving back.

3 minutes ago, mumununu said:

Yeah he's looking for a job right now in the US, but it might not come sooner before my interview.

He has his driving license, voting record, bank record and a letter from his dad to show his domicile and that he's moving back.

All you can do is the best you can and have faith in each other.  Keep working through this and hopefully he will have a job in the US before your interview.  He will just need a letter from the employer stating his salary and that will make most CO's more comfortable.  

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
4 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

All you can do is the best you can and have faith in each other.  Keep working through this and hopefully he will have a job in the US before your interview.  He will just need a letter from the employer stating his salary and that will make most CO's more comfortable.  

Quite right. A future job will definitely help a lot. We'll do our best to find it as soon as possible. Thanks for all the advice!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.