fluffykim

2018 vs 2019 filing I-129F

67 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Correct.  Both will end up at the same place.  The route they take is their choice.  Scenic or direct!

I love this so much that I decided to do both!

If I  went cr1 then I would be looking at 2020 for a visa versus maybe even 2018 if the moons and the stars lineup

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

If I  went cr1 then I would be looking at 2020 for a visa versus maybe even 2018 if the moons and the stars lineup

You will make it this year!

I don't see 2020 but 2019 yes for CR-1.  The longest I've seen so far (minus the very long AP a couple have seen from high fraud countries) for CR-1 to POE is 368 days.  Basically it looks like POE 1 year after submittal.  There are already March CR-1 filers at POE this month.  Those are anomalies on the other end.  

If you look at Igor's List, the top 15 approvals for both K-1 (CSC) and CR-1 (YSC) are all April and May filers.  It is a close race to NOA2.  There is an extra month or two for NVC on the CR-1 but that seems to be the difference right now.  Damn near a dead heat.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
1 minute ago, John & Rose said:

You will make it this year!

I don't see 2020 but 2019 yes for CR-1.  The longest I've seen so far (minus the very long AP a couple have seen from high fraud countries) for CR-1 to POE is 368 days.  Basically it looks like POE 1 year after submittal.  There are already March CR-1 filers at POE this month.  Those are anomalies on the other end.  

If you look at Igor's List, the top 15 approvals for both K-1 (CSC) and CR-1 (YSC) are all April and May filers.  It is a close race to NOA2.  There is an extra month or two for NVC on the CR-1 but that seems to be the difference right now.  Damn near a dead heat.

But she doesn't want to get married until 2019.  By the time I can get my ### over there to facilitate a marriage and get all the documents in order to file the petition,  2019 is gone

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

But she doesn't want to get married until 2019.  By the time I can get my ### over there to facilitate a marriage and get all the documents in order to file the petition,  2019 is gone

I hear you.  We were denied on April 20.  I was there for the interview.  I went back in May to file for the license and then back in June to get married.  3 visits in 3 months.  My body was trying to figure out what was going on.  It was only 52 days from denial to marriage.  That was a whirlwind.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Timeline
25 minutes ago, missileman said:

I have seen many posters who, after going the K-1 route, say "I wish we had filed a CR-1 instead"........I have yet to see a CR-1 petitioner say they should have filed a K-1........that speaks for itself.....

But each couple has their own priorities........

CR1 has a horrible return policy. :devil:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
43 minutes ago, missileman said:

I have seen many posters who, after going the K-1 route, say "I wish we had filed a CR-1 instead"

Thinking on terms of the process, I would have preferred CR1 instead of K1, it just seems easier to go there with a GC and not having to do AOS and more waiting for paperwork. But we where worried about having an strong case or evidence, it seemed easier to prove we are an engaged couple than a married couple (IMO). 

And also K1 will give us the chance to have a nice small wedding with family and friends, I didn't wanted to quit on that.

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

13 minutes ago, Daniela M_______ said:

And also K1 will give us the chance to have a nice small wedding with family and friends, I didn't wanted to quit on that.

This one one of the biggest reasons I chose the CR-1. She has a huge family and I have a small family in the states. We were able to get married with her friends and family there. That couldn’t happen with a K-1. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
4 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

This one one of the biggest reasons I chose the CR-1. She has a huge family and I have a small family in the states. We were able to get married with her friends and family there. That couldn’t happen with a K-1. 

Actually CR1 in a strange sort of way was chosen for you.   God was just correcting your bad decision. :)

YMMV

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Actually CR1 in a strange sort of way was chosen for you.   God was just correcting your bad decision. :)

Indeed!  I am where I am supposed to be. I just blew the first decision!   

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
34 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

My case is the exact opposite, I'm alone in Mexico, my family is in Venezuela and my friends are all over the world, his family and friends are all in Michigan, it didn't feel right for me to get married here (I love Mexico but is not home). I rather to get married there, I can buy a plane ticket for my mom and I'm sure some of my friends will make it too.

It's indeed a very personal choice, every case is different.

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

Just now, Daniela M_______ said:

My case is the exact opposite, I'm alone in Mexico, my family is in Venezuela and my friends are all over the world, his family and friends are all in Michigan, it didn't feel right for me to get married here (I love Mexico but is not home). I rather to get married there, I can buy a plane ticket for my mom and I'm sure some of my friends will make it too.

It's indeed a very personal choice, every case is different.

All we can do is what is best for us. If I were in your shoes the K-1 would be the perfect choice. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
3 hours ago, Daniela M_______ said:

I'm alone in Mexico, my family is in Venezuela and my friends are all over the world, his family and friends are all in Michigan, it didn't feel right for me to get married here (I love Mexico but is not home). I rather to get married there, I can buy a plane ticket for my mom and I'm sure some of my friends will make it too.

I know its basically too late since you're almost at the NVC stage, but there was another option as you may know. The alternate option was to use a B-1/B-2 visa (after applying for it, if needed) to travel to Michigan and marry with his family, your mom, and your friends present. Then you would leave the US and he could have started the CR-1 process (or vice versa: he started the CR-1 process right after marriage and you left the US before your B-2 I-94 "Admit Until Date" passed):

Added expenses for this option is a roundtrip MEX-Michigan-MEX ticket (and US tourist visa fees if you don't have one). Savings would include the K-1 AOS fees (if the alternate option was taken before choosing to file the I-129F there is no savings for a petition fee since the I-130 fee is also $535).

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
8 hours ago, fluffykim said:

CR1 means waiting longer for my partner to come over.  i can support him financially..so i rather him get here faster :)

Just a FYI, sometimes USCIS has delays and they don't provide explanations. For example, below is a post of an understandably frustrated K-1 user:

4 hours ago, Abcd1234 said:

I have faith, everyday i check my mail. Old site and new, i have faith it will come soon,but it is getting frustrating,  it gets hard when my fiancee asks me how long more, i feel like i dont have answer.

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

13 hours ago, missileman said:

No reason at all to wait.....just do it........or better yet, consider a CR-1 instead...

K-1

More expensive than CR-1    
Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1    
Less expensive than K-1    
No Adjustment of Status  (I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US. 

All-in-all, the CR-1 is superior to the K-1 imo. 

Final Analysis:  If you can marry your fiance in his/her country, CR-1 is a much, much better option

Totally second this! We did the K1 and are currently waiting for his AOS, AP, and EAD approval. We are on day 83 with no word. Although it's a bit quicker than CR1 as far as initially getting here...it's a longer wait in the long run. Really wish we had just done the CR1 now...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.