yuna628

California Shooting: 12 Killed in mass shooting

17 posts in this topic

A gunman opened fire overnight in a Southern California bar and country music venue The Ventura County sheriff said the bar was crowded with more than 100 people, many of them college students. 

The gunman, identified by police as Ian David Long, 28, killed 12 people, including a sheriff's sergeant who responded to gunfire. Police later found the shooter dead inside the bar, possibly from a self-inflicted wound.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/california-mass-shooting-thousand-oaks-bar-today-2018-11-08-live-updates/

Many of those inside the bar were college age kids and some that were younger (they allow underage patrons). Suspect was former military, and the sheriff noted he may have had mental health problems, even though this past April he was cleared by investigators during one 'episode'. Sgt. Ron Helus was a few days from retirement, after being on the force for 29 years. He was on his phone with his wife at the time he witnessed what was going on, and he ran into the building trying to save lives. He's survived by his wife and son.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

10 minutes ago, Marty Byrde said:

Looks like he used a Glock with an illegal magazine 

Would he have gone to another state to obtain it? Are background checks required for such a purchase? Guess it wouldn't matter if his past mental behavior didn't put up a red flag.

Hearing some of the people there also survived the Las Vegas shooting.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

state defined illegal magazines are available all over the Internet, most places (all to my knowledge)  magazines don't require even an ID to purchase, let alone a background check  

Filed: Timeline
5 hours ago, yuna628 said:

Would he have gone to another state to obtain it? Are background checks required for such a purchase? Guess it wouldn't matter if his past mental behavior didn't put up a red flag.

No, you can buy magazines on the internet, shipped to your door.  Same as AA batteries and panty hose, no ID required to purchase.

The only portion of a gun that has to be background checked for is the portion with the serial number on it.  Every other piece can be bought and changed/added at will without an ID.

This pic is an AR-15 lower.  Has a serial number on it.  And even though it has nothing else to make it go bang, you have to provide ID and have a BG check to buy (thru a licensed dealer; private sales often skip this part).

SAA_Reticle_Lower_Stripped_NEWs__25783-c

Below: An AR-15 with lower, upper, and all necessary parts to turn black gunpowder into toppled targets.

9-89667_1.tif&wid=575&cvt=jpeg

Edited by Satisfied

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
8 hours ago, yuna628 said:

Probably he would have, or 3D printed it. CADOJ has actively targeted and sued companies that even allow a person to put an order in for a magazine (even if the company cancels it after review of the zip code). Therefore, no online stores that I'm aware of ship magazines over 10 rounds to CA.

Yes, California does have background checks in all cases including private parties. He was investigated for a 5150 hold about a year ago, but the investigator dropped the case. Had he been placed on hold, he would have been required to handover the gun. California operates the APPS which is a SWAT-like team that goes door to door and forcefully confiscates firearms that are on a list of prohibited persons.

Edited by Sonea

Timeline
3 hours ago, Satisfied said:

No, you can buy magazines on the internet, shipped to your door.  Same as AA batteries and panty hose, no ID required to purchase.

The only portion of a gun that has to be background checked for is the portion with the serial number on it.  Every other piece can be bought and changed/added at will without an ID.

This pic is an AR-15 lower.  Has a serial number on it.  And even though it has nothing else to make it go bang, you have to provide ID and have a BG check to buy (thru a licensed dealer; private sales often skip this part).

SAA_Reticle_Lower_Stripped_NEWs__25783-c

Below: An AR-15 with lower, upper, and all necessary parts to turn black gunpowder into toppled targets.

9-89667_1.tif&wid=575&cvt=jpeg

Not for a California buyer.

Here is one example:

https://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=14&amp;name=AR15+type+Magazines

Note the warning about capacity. If an online website appears to sell to CA they will get sued.

Edited by Sonea

3 hours ago, Sonea said:

Probably he would have, or 3D printed it. CADOJ has actively targeted and sued companies that even allow a person to put an order in for a magazine (even if the company cancels it after review of the zip code). Therefore, no online stores that I'm aware of ship magazines over 10 rounds to CA.

Yes, California does have background checks in all cases including private parties. He was investigated for a 5150 hold about a year ago, but the investigator dropped the case. Had he been placed on hold, he would have been required to handover the gun. California operates the APPS which is a SWAT-like team that goes door to door and forcefully confiscates firearms that are on a list of prohibited persons.

How would this be enforced?  Many states require it, but in practice, it’s nearly impossible to enforce.  I know an 18 year old kid that just bought an AR-15 pistol in GA from a private seller.  No paperwork “required”.

3 hours ago, Sonea said:

Not for a California buyer.

Here is one example:

https://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=14&amp;name=AR15+type+Magazines

Note the warning about capacity. If an online website appears to sell to CA they will get sued.

Ever hear of mail forwarding?  Or shipping to a friend in a legal state?  WAY too easy to get around.

It’s very rare, but also possible to buy a gun in one state while said person holds a DL in another state.  Always a way around any system in place, even for law abiding citizens.  Criminals have many more options.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Easy way is a quick trip to a state that doesn't care as much.  Quite a day in southern California.  A plane landing on a freeway at rush hour didn't even make the news with the shootings and houses burning in wildfires. 

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

19 minutes ago, NigeriaorBust said:

Easy way is a quick trip to a state that doesn't care as much.  Quite a day in southern California.  A plane landing on a freeway at rush hour didn't even make the news with the shootings and houses burning in wildfires. 

Fires, earthquakes, floods, and now hurricanes?  Makes one wonder... what is CA doing wrong to deserve all this karma?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

Fires, earthquakes, floods, and now hurricanes?  Makes one wonder... what is CA doing wrong to deserve all this karma?

We just are the self centered type that always wants page one on the news

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline
13 hours ago, Satisfied said:

How would this be enforced?  Many states require it, but in practice, it’s nearly impossible to enforce.  I know an 18 year old kid that just bought an AR-15 pistol in GA from a private seller.  No paperwork “required”.

If you never get in trouble with LE or have a break in, you are probably good. Handguns have been registered for decades, so with them, I would say an illegal transfer is easy to prove based on the age of the firearm. Long gun registration has only been around for about 4 years, so much harder to prove if your firearm is older.

Timeline
13 hours ago, Satisfied said:

Ever hear of mail forwarding?  Or shipping to a friend in a legal state?  WAY too easy to get around.

It’s very rare, but also possible to buy a gun in one state while said person holds a DL in another state.  Always a way around any system in place, even for law abiding citizens.  Criminals have many more options.

Both would be illegal, but yes possible and in terms of the magazine easy.

23 hours ago, Sonea said:

If you never get in trouble with LE or have a break in, you are probably good. Handguns have been registered for decades, so with them, I would say an illegal transfer is easy to prove based on the age of the firearm. Long gun registration has only been around for about 4 years, so much harder to prove if your firearm is older.

Handguns are recorder when a dealer sells them, yes.  But who keeps that info, and for how long (by federal law)? Only five states require gun registration (eight if you count reporting to law enforcement), and it’s illegal to have a federal gun registry.  Only 18 states require a BG check for private sales.

I don’t think anyone tries to enforce an FFL-like transfer on private sales.  It’s simply impossible.  When I buy or sell a firearm privately these days, I keep a record of the transaction for my own protection, as well as to try and stay as legal as I can.  But I have bought guns for cash with no record in the past.  As you said, as long as you don’t run afoul of the law, it probably doesn’t matter.