22 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

So you do or don't live there anymore? Your friend who apparently doesn't know you well enough to know when you are coming home was staying there while you were gone. I'm sorry but I think you are in more trouble than being worried about changing your address. If I were the officers I would assume you gave me a fake address and the friend didn't want to show his ID because it was his house and his address would have shown on the ID. Not saying that's the case but I'd bet dollars to donuts that's how the officers feel now to go along with the fact they were obviously already suspicious.

Well my friend showed them his work ID but refused for them to take a picture of it. He is a pilot and only was here for a layover. I think it caught him unaware that the DHS just showed up at my door in the morning. He didn't feel comfortable answering questions about us, but he did confirm he knew us and told them how we met. It's a natural response. It's not like he had any idea DHS would be waking him up in my home at 8am. But of course they will be suspicious about anything that is not how they want things to be. This is why I'm concerned. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
1 hour ago, Freedomworks said:

My wife is a US citizen and I am from Nigeria. How does that matter? Is it a racial or country bias? 

Unfortunately yes it can be.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

20 minutes ago, cd37 said:

I agree that officers will get more doubtful that your friend who is living in your place doesnt know when you r coming back. That would be really strange to anybody.

He told them that he didn't feel comfortable answering their questions. 

22 minutes ago, cd37 said:

I agree that officers will get more doubtful that your friend who is living in your place doesnt know when you r coming back. That would be really strange to anybody.

He is not living here but he stays here for his layovers since he comes here alot for his job. What he told them was that he didn't feel comfortable answering their questions about us and didn't know when I'll be back. Of course I wished he had answered all their questions but I understand how it would be uncomfortable for anyone to be put under questioning. 

4 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

Unfortunately yes it can be.

Wow. That's sad

3 minutes ago, Freedomworks said:

He told them that he didn't feel comfortable answering their questions. 

He is not living here but he stays here for his layovers since he comes here alot for his job. What he told them was that he didn't feel comfortable answering their questions about us and didn't know when I'll be back. Of course I wished he had answered all their questions but I understand how it would be uncomfortable for anyone to be put under questioning. 

Wow. That's sad

It's the reality of things sadly.

Was there any issues with background check in your AOS? Still waiting for ROC from 2016 and having home visits does not bode well at all. 

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

2 hours ago, Ash.1101 said:

It's the reality of things sadly.

Was there any issues with background check in your AOS? Still waiting for ROC from 2016 and having home visits does not bode well at all. 

No issues with the background check that I know of. Only issue we had was that we had to reapply for the 485 because we got denied the first time around. Reasons were. because we didn't file correctly and didn't have enough supporting documents. So we refiled and had an interview and received the 2 years conditional PR.

6 hours ago, Freedomworks said:

My wife is a US citizen and I am from Nigeria. How does that matter? Is it a racial or country bias? 

Some countries have higher fraud rates than others. Nigeria has one of the highest US visa fraud rates, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is part of the reason for the scrutiny (even though this is AOS, not a visa process). The facts are his countrymen have abused the system and engaged in fraudulent marriages just to get a green card in the past and now he pays a price for it in terms of heavy scrutiny.

Race has nothing to do with it, though.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

4 hours ago, geowrian said:

Some countries have higher fraud rates than others. Nigeria has one of the highest US visa fraud rates, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is part of the reason for the scrutiny (even though this is AOS, not a visa process). The facts are his countrymen have abused the system and engaged in fraudulent marriages just to get a green card in the past and now he pays a price for it in terms of heavy scrutiny.

Race has nothing to do with it, though.

Ok. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.