Hughlyn

RFE Cirumcstances of meeting

75 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
38 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

depends mostly on the officer who has your file. we were not questioned about anything in our petition and in hindsight, there are a few things they COULD have RFE'd for.

Eek, guess it is what it is then.

I think sadly, a lot of it is down to whether they suspect fraud. Certain embassies likely flag for stuff more than others. 

Thank you for the quick reply.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, brandonflude1 said:

Hi all! Is this a normal thing to happen?

My partner was legally married up until June 2018, although they hadn't actually lived together for 3 years at this point. She had even moved states. We didn't document this in writing, but included a divorce decree and the previous addresses indicated she moved away from the previous state before I ever met her. 

Can we expect an RFE because we didn't specifically say that they had lived apart? 

It's worth noting that we included a lengthy document about how we met, when we met, who spent time where, etc.

I think, with a case just a tad more complicated than 2 single 20-30 somethings with no visible red flags we all can expect at least an RFE. In my case it was me who was married and in my country we do not usually do legal separation, hence no word in my divorce decree. From my address and employment history it is obvious that I lived not where my then husband lived for at least 2,5 years. But again, my divorce decree says nothing about how long ago our marriage failed. We also included a page long signed statement from my fiance explaining why a month after he spoke to me on the phone he came to visit for Xmas and why he petitioned just 3 months after my divorce became final.

Edited by HP+IC

Timeline
1 minute ago, HP+IC said:

I think, with a case just a tad more complicated than 2 single 20-30 somethings with no visible red flags we all can expect at least an RFE. In my case it was me who was married and in my country we do not udually do legal separation, hence no word in my divorce decree. From my address and employment history it is obvious that I lived not where my then husband lived for at least 2,5 years. But again, my divorce decree says nothing about how long ago our marriage failed. We also included a page long signed statement from my fiance explaining why a month after he spoke to me on the phone he came to visit for Xmas and why he petitioned just 3 months after my divorce became final.

It'll be interesting to see if you receive an RFE. My only issue with this whole thing is, what are we supposed to prove? At the end of the day, you are divorced at the time of filing and you are legally able to marry. A lot of people are in new relationships before a divorce is finalised.

I just really am not sure what "evidence" you can provide for this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, brandonflude1 said:

Eek, guess it is what it is then.

I think sadly, a lot of it is down to whether they suspect fraud. Certain embassies likely flag for stuff more than others. 

Thank you for the quick reply.

more than likely, yes. either our things were not noticed (possible) OR they see the stupid number of trips and time we spend together every month for the past 3 years and go ' yeah. if anyones real its them' lol

our case has a lot going for it. time known, number of visits, we are both educated and have good careers, we are older (in our 40s) and similar in age, religion (or lack thereof lol), and politics. Ummm. we speak the same language ;) probably more stuff too, im not thinking of or considering. Too many  couples dont have those things and fraud is a big concern for many consulates and can cause RFEs for things that many never get questioned on. 

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Timeline
1 minute ago, brandonflude1 said:

It'll be interesting to see if you receive an RFE. My only issue with this whole thing is, what are we supposed to prove? At the end of the day, you are divorced at the time of filing and you are legally able to marry. A lot of people are in new relationships before a divorce is finalised.

I just really am not sure what "evidence" you can provide for this.

Well, in our case we have known each other for ages and dated for 1 year 25 years ago (we are on the older side). We have also stated that in the explanation. Old flame situations and reconciliations do happen and they should know. But if they RFE us, it will be difficult to substantiate

Timeline
Just now, debbiedoo said:

more than likely, yes. either our things were not noticed (possible) OR they see the stupid number of trips and time we spend together every month for the past 3 years and go ' yeah. if anyones real its them' lol

our case has a lot going for it. time known, number of visits, we are both educated and have good careers, we are older (in our 40s) and similar in age, religion (or lack thereof lol), and politics. Ummm. we speak the same language ;) probably more stuff too, im not thinking of or considering. Too many  couples dont have those things and fraud is a big concern for many consulates and can cause RFEs for things that many never get questioned on. 

Glad to see I'm fairly similar to you - we have countless trips between the UK and US, any common sense should see that we are a real couple. Who has the time to visit the UK and spend 2-3 months away from their apparent husband without him being concerned? lol

We're in the same boat as you there, except for the age. We have an age gap, but it's only 12 years so I see this coming up at my interview. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

The same with us (fiance is a naturalized USC) but we also have a 17 years age gap. Well, we did have it from the very start and that challenged our initial relationship

Timeline
10 hours ago, Hughlyn said:

So at the time this was filled it, it was accurate. However I have been here on teh dates below and also plan going there end of htis month.

October 14 2017 - October 19,2017

December 4, 2017- December 20,2017

January 14,2018- march 11, 2018

June 28- 2018-July 23, 2018

55564d94-d336-4c53-a0b6-bb90c5158d0f.jpg

I have a feeling OP received an RFE due to only filling this in.

I think if you spend timing typing up a document and attaching it, scanning passports and travel stamps, you should be fine. All they want is proof you are a real couple and have met. 

The only requirement is that you are free to marry when you submit the I-129F.

- 

edit: This also says he visited on Dec 4th to Dec 21st of 2018. Unless you're a time traveller, this hasn't happened yet lol - this may be a reason you were flagged.

Edited by brandonflude1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, brandonflude1 said:

Hi all! Is this a normal thing to happen?

My partner was legally married up until June 2018, although they hadn't actually lived together for 3 years at this point. She had even moved states. We didn't document this in writing, but included a divorce decree and the previous addresses indicated she moved away from the previous state before I ever met her. 

Can we expect an RFE because we didn't specifically say that they had lived apart? 

It's worth noting that we included a lengthy document about how we met, when we met, who spent time where, etc.

This is definitely an anomaly 

YMMV

Timeline
14 minutes ago, brandonflude1 said:

Glad to see I'm fairly similar to you - we have countless trips between the UK and US, any common sense should see that we are a real couple. Who has the time to visit the UK and spend 2-3 months away from their apparent husband without him being concerned? lol

We're in the same boat as you there, except for the age. We have an age gap, but it's only 12 years so I see this coming up at my interview. 

for UK and US i doubt 12 years would raise any eyebrows, especially if you are both older

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Timeline
Just now, debbiedoo said:

for UK and US i doubt 12 years would raise any eyebrows, especially if you are both older

Well, I’ll be 22 at the time of interview and she’ll be 33. I’ve always gone by the fact that I’m grumpy at heart and she’s young and sweet at heart 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, brandonflude1 said:

Well, I’ll be 22 at the time of interview and she’ll be 33. I’ve always gone by the fact that I’m grumpy at heart and she’s young and sweet at heart 

ok that might get questioned lol

i dont think it would be a deal breaker of any kind though.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Timeline
1 minute ago, debbiedoo said:

ok that might get questioned lol

i dont think it would be a deal breaker of any kind though.

Yeah, just a small bump I imagine. I've seen cases of them not caring because London isn't a high fraud embassy. We will see though :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I don't understand why people don't get the difference of proving you met in person and explaining your relationship. In the box that asks to explain how you met in person you should simply put we met in such and such a place on such and such dates see attached tickets or receipts or whatever. If you want to front load relationship information which is necessary online in some circumstances do that separately but for the vast majority one sentence on how you met in person is all that you should be doing.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, brandonflude1 said:

Yeah, just a small bump I imagine. I've seen cases of them not caring because London isn't a high fraud embassy. We will see though :)

I have a much larger age gap than eleven years,  I'm not all that worried 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.