Sikosana

Court house wedding

22 posts in this topic

Yes, there are tons of people who have done it. It is more common in the US than you think. To prove it is genuine all your have to do is provide a certified copy of the marriage certificate that the court will give you.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sikosana said:

Hie everyone. My fiance and I plan to do a court house wedding ,is there anyone who tried it here and how did you prove that its genuine at the consulate. He is a truck driver and he doesn't have much time to be planning things. 

If you are going the K1 route, you must be unmarried when applying to the consulate. When already in the USA you are free to marry in whichever official manner you like. For instance, my fiance and I are planning a court house marriage as soon as possible, ideally within the 1st week after POE. Maybe a small reception afterwards if we feel like it. If you have a true marriage and follow with adding you to his insurance plan, opening a joint account etc, whichever is intended to make you a happy and cared for new wife, it will be more sufficient than a fancy wedding. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

all you need is a marriage certificate from the court.

no one cares about the size of the wedding.

if you are filing for a K1 you CAN NOT get married before. It is so they can move here and you can get married. If you are filing a CR1, then you will marry and file that paperwork.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

We already have our I129 approved and this is our second application. The  last time they said we didn't have prove that will get married within 3months ,yet we had plans to do a court wedding. I can't be there to plan things and yet he hardly have time. My question is there anything from the court house that we can have signed to prove that we will surely wed. Right now we have honey moon receipts which we paid for but I feel it's not enough. To those who did court wedding how did you deal with it at the K1 VISA interview. 

2 hours ago, HP+IC said:

If you are going the K1 route, you must be unmarried when applying to the consulate. When already in the USA you are free to marry in whichever official manner you like. For instance, my fiance and I are planning a court house marriage as soon as possible, ideally within the 1st week after POE. Maybe a small reception afterwards if we feel like it. If you have a true marriage and follow with adding you to his insurance plan, opening a joint account etc, whichever is intended to make you a happy and cared for new wife, it will be more sufficient than a fancy wedding. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Sikosana said:

We already have our I129 approved and this is our second application. The  last time they said we didn't have prove that will get married within 3months ,yet we had plans to do a court wedding. I can't be there to plan things and yet he hardly have time. My question is there anything from the court house that we can have signed to prove that we will surely wed. Right now we have honey moon receipts which we paid for but I feel it's not enough. To those who did court wedding how did you deal with it at the K1 VISA interview. 

you dont have to have PROOF. they KNOW you cant plan a wedding. this is why the letter of intent to marry is required, THAT is your 'proof'. if they ask what your plans are, you tell them, a courthouse wedding and maybe something larger, later on. its an answer they hear all day every day and is perfectly acceptable

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Sikosana said:

Thanks you so much. Last time he denied me for that reason saying I didn't have proof that I was going to wed. Everything else was okay. Culturally we are married, he paid the bride price which is a requirement in my culture. 

you may be too married for a k1. it happens. that means youd have to legally marry and file for a CR1.

what was the EXACT reason for denial the first time

Edited by debbiedoo

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

I was going to move this topic but I just noticed the last post.  I happen to agree.  I think you are going to be denied at interview and will need to restart with an I-130.  I actually suggest you don't waste your time with the current I-129F and get a marriage cert and go with the I-130 instead.  There is a thing of being too married for the K1 but not married enough for the CR1

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

After he asked a number of questions which I answered correctly. He said I want to give you the visa but do you have proof that you will get married within 3months. I didn't know what he wanted because  we gave every evidence to prove that we are real. Maybe it's only in Zimbabwe where they want that kind of proof  🤷‍♂️.

7 minutes ago, Sikosana said:

After he asked a number of questions which I answered correctly. He said I want to give you the visa but do you have proof that you will get married within 3months. I didn't know what he wanted because  we gave every evidence to prove that we are real. Maybe it's only in Zimbabwe where they want that kind of proof  🤷‍♂️.

36 minutes ago, Sikosana said:

Thanks you so much. Last time he denied me for that reason saying I didn't have proof that I was going to wed. Everything else was okay. Culturally we are married, he paid the bride price which is a requirement in my culture. 

You are culturally married.  That means you are too married for the K1 visa.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

We didn't know they is such .It's bad for us then because for us to marry here in my country he must have almost 2months of leave days which he can't get since he is a truck driver. The process of marrying a foreigner is also very long here. My government is also very sensitive about the issue, since they discovered fraudulent marriage of investors who didn't want to pay taxes. 

7 minutes ago, Sikosana said:

We didn't know they is such .It's bad for us then because for us to marry here in my country he must have almost 2months of leave days which he can't get since he is a truck driver. The process of marrying a foreigner is also very long here. My government is also very sensitive about the issue, since they discovered fraudulent marriage of investors who didn't want to pay taxes. 

Then marry in a third country.  You have to be truthful at your interview.   Honestly you can keep tying for the K1 but you may get denied just FYI. 

Timeline

The consulate considers you married.

Now you HAVE to get MARRIED and file CR1

this is why cultural marriages and ceremonies and things like that are SUCH a bad idea, and if youve done it, you need to make sure NO ONE knows about it. That includes social media posts from either of you or your friends. that makes it hard to keep quiet.

Get married in a 3rd country, as Nik said. Your fiance will HAVE to take time off work. How much, depends on where you marry, but it will HAVE to happen.

I think a K1 approval will not happen and is a waste of time and money

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.