clw654321

K1 Petitioner Criminal Background

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have to check yes on the 3 or more alcohol or drug related charges. I have two  misdemeanors possessions in 2001 right after High School. One public intoxication in 2007 that was dismissed. A DWI in 2016 and a public intoxication the beginning of this year. Yes all stupid mistakes... All misdemeanors that have dispositions. I wouldn’t have the job I have if they were bad crimes. Do yall think this will cause a problem with my NOA2? I’m not worried about the interview for her or anything else. I have a good job, we both have no kids and no prior marriages. 

What do you all think?

I really think I’m worried about nothing but this means everything to us of course. We should get the result on my end by the end of March.

Thanks in advance!

12 hours ago, clw654321 said:

I have to check yes on the 3 or more alcohol or drug related charges. I have two  misdemeanors possessions in 2001 right after High School. One public intoxication in 2007 that was dismissed. A DWI in 2016 and a public intoxication the beginning of this year. Yes all stupid mistakes... All misdemeanors that have dispositions. I wouldn’t have the job I have if they were bad crimes. Do yall think this will cause a problem with my NOA2? I’m not worried about the interview for her or anything else. I have a good job, we both have no kids and no prior marriages. 

What do you all think?

I really think I’m worried about nothing but this means everything to us of course. We should get the result on my end by the end of March.

Thanks in advance!

As long as you are honest in the petition you will not have an issue.  At worse you may expect some extra scrutiny but I doubt if anything there is a real red flag.  Be honest and make sure your fiancee has all the details.  It may come up in the interview.  If they haven't transferred your case to Vermont it shouldn't have much impact on the speed of approval.  

Just be honest about ALL arrests and include simple descriptions of each in the petition.  No need for certified court documents in your case but they may ask for more information.  I don't see this impacting an approval at all.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline

On the old form it asks for a description. The form now does not ask for a description it just says to send all court and police records and dispositions. I sent everything I could on each one. 

Thanks John!

DB1284BD-BBAA-4D1B-9666-FAA3BB11993C.jpeg

12 minutes ago, clw654321 said:

On the old form it asks for a description. The form now does not ask for a description it just says to send all court and police records and dispositions. I sent everything I could on each one. 

Thanks John!

DB1284BD-BBAA-4D1B-9666-FAA3BB11993C.jpeg

Yours were not specified crimes.  There are two possession, two public intoxication and one DWI.  They may issue an RFE under question 2C but that is the worse case.  You sent all the information you have so that may be enough for the adjudicator.  All cases have been completed as required by law.  I honestly think you are OK even if they issue an RFE.  You are being open and honest with them.  You are not hiding your past.  I think they will see that.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
4 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Yours were not specified crimes.  There are two possession, two public intoxication and one DWI.  They may issue an RFE under question 2C but that is the worse case.  You sent all the information you have so that may be enough for the adjudicator.  All cases have been completed as required by law.  I honestly think you are OK even if they issue an RFE.  You are being open and honest with them.  You are not hiding your past.  I think they will see that.

Thanks. Would be nice if someone else would chime in on how they read “specific crimes”. I read it as any of the above and I also see how you read it (homicide, child abuse, etc for example) “specific”. Either way I sent them any police and court documents that I could get on  my drug/alcohol related misdemeanors. Plus I did not have over 3 of each. I did have 5 total, but 3 were alcohol related, 2 were drug related. So maybe I could have checked no even. Better safe than sorry though.

But I really want to know what USCIS exactly would want from me out of that question.

I know I probably did more than needed anyway... So I would assume I’m definitely giving them enough...

And I committed no “specific” crime as @John & Rose reads it.

Edited by clw654321
Added

1 minute ago, clw654321 said:

Thanks. Would be nice if someone else would chime in on how they read “specific crimes”. I read it as any of the above and I also see how you read it (homicide, child abuse, etc for example) “specific”. Either way I sent them any police and court documents that I could get on  my drug/alcohol related misdemeanors.

I hope someone else chimes in to.  You did answer your own question though.  You already sent everything that you can get.  What more can you do?  I believe you did everything that you can.  Now just sit and wait like the rest of us.  Don't worry about the question.  You have already submitted everything and there is enough stress just waiting on this process without adding "what if" scenarios.  

Sit back and see what happens.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  You already know that they didn't transfer your case to Vermont.  That is a positive!

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
Just now, John & Rose said:

I hope someone else chimes in to.  You did answer your own question though.  You already sent everything that you can get.  What more can you do?  I believe you did everything that you can.  Now just sit and wait like the rest of us.  Don't worry about the question.  You have already submitted everything and there is enough stress just waiting on this process without adding "what if" scenarios.  

Sit back and see what happens.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  You already know that they didn't transfer your case to Vermont.  That is a positive!

Yes sir! Thank you! Just getting anxious as we pretty much all do here lol

Just now, clw654321 said:

Yes sir! Thank you! Just getting anxious as we pretty much all do here lol

Trust me.  I know that anxious feeling!  This is my second time around!

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

It's good that you were up front about your past offenses. Also, make sure your fiance is aware of them so she won't be surprised at the interview if it comes up. Good Luck)

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, boris64 said:

It's good that you were up front about your past offenses. Also, make sure your fiance is aware of them so she won't be surprised at the interview if it comes up. Good Luck)

She knows everything. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello,

I also made "stupid mistakes" when I wore a younger mans cloths, took some detective work but I sent USCIS all court records and dispositions plus a state criminal background check in which I was fingerprinted. I felt just like you do really worried but good news, our NOA2 arrived Nov.3rd, 2018 with an approval!!! now on to the next step!

Good luck, hope this eases your minds a bit.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, crete456 said:

Hello,

I also made "stupid mistakes" when I wore a younger mans cloths, took some detective work but I sent USCIS all court records and dispositions plus a state criminal background check in which I was fingerprinted. I felt just like you do really worried but good news, our NOA2 arrived Nov.3rd, 2018 with an approval!!! now on to the next step!

Good luck, hope this eases your minds a bit.

Yes! Thank you and congratulations!!!

I may message you later if you don’t mind 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
On 11/7/2018 at 10:33 AM, clw654321 said:

Thanks. Would be nice if someone else would chime in on how they read “specific crimes”. I read it as any of the above and I also see how you read it (homicide, child abuse, etc for example) “specific”. Either way I sent them any police and court documents that I could get on  my drug/alcohol related misdemeanors. Plus I did not have over 3 of each. I did have 5 total, but 3 were alcohol related, 2 were drug related. So maybe I could have checked no even. Better safe than sorry though.

But I really want to know what USCIS exactly would want from me out of that question.

I know I probably did more than needed anyway... So I would assume I’m definitely giving them enough...

And I committed no “specific” crime as @John & Rose reads it.

Soooo... I had two "crimes" I had to divulge. I wrote a letter describing each account in detail. I stated "when/where/why/how/who" and I explained in detail the account. Then I included every single document the court had on record for both AND the police department had on both (took some digging for one). I ended my letter with a "mini table of contents" if you will:

I have attached the following documentation for "Crime/Charge X":

Document A: Ticket.. blah blah blah

Document B: Disposition... blah blah blah (you get what I mean)

Doc C

Doc D

I have attached the following documentation for "Crime/Charge X":

Document E ......

Document F ......

etc

Each document I attached had the corresponding name written at the very top of the page like this:    Tina X Doe - Part X - Section X - Number X - Document A, etc.

I did not get an RFE. I also made sure my fiance had copies of the all the court documents as well. The embassy likes to make sure that the beneficiary knows EVERYTHING about you, plus it is a good way to check to see if the relationship is deep enough.

Edited by <3T&M<3

NOA1 New Site: March 6th, 2018

NOA2: Sept 12th, 2018

Case # available as well as case leaving NVC both on Oct 1st, 2018

Embassy received on Oct 2nd, 2018

Medical Appointment Oct 12th, 2018

Interview at Ankara Embassy on Oct 22nd, 2018 - APPROVED!

POE San Fransisco on Dec 1st, 2018

Married Dec 10th, 2018

NOA for I-485/765/131 Feb 1st, 2019

Interview for I-485 June 19th, 2019 - APPROVED! (Interview was before we received Work Auth Card!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.