Jump to content
Chaka Quaker

Proof of US Spouse Citizenship

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I’m planning on applying for citizenship and  I have questions about my spouse’s citizenship. He became a citizen when he was a child. He had a passport that expired in July this year so he is getting a new one. I read on the N-400 instructions that my spouse has to prop he has been a citizen for at least 3 years. Now the new passport will show this year’s date. We scanned the old passport to have as proof of him being a citizen for many years now. Would there be an issue if we just submit copies of the new passport with copies of the expired one? Should we provide other proves of his citizenship? If so, which would be the best? Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chaka Quaker said:

I’m planning on applying for citizenship and  I have questions about my spouse’s citizenship. He became a citizen when he was a child. He had a passport that expired in July this year so he is getting a new one. I read on the N-400 instructions that my spouse has to prop he has been a citizen for at least 3 years. Now the new passport will show this year’s date. We scanned the old passport to have as proof of him being a citizen for many years now. Would there be an issue if we just submit copies of the new passport with copies of the expired one? Should we provide other proves of his citizenship? If so, which would be the best? Thank you.

How did your husband got his citizenship? Naturalization, birth, derived thru his parents? I don't see any issues if he has been a US Citizen since he was a child. If the proof of his citizenship is his passport just keep a copy of the expired one.

Edited by GreenGem

10/15/18 - I-751 Packet sent

10/16/18 - Signed and received

10/19/18 - Check cashed

10/22/18 - Text from USCIS with LINXXXXXXXX

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GreenGem said:

How did your husband got his citizenship? Naturalization, birth, derived thru his parents? I don't see any issues if he has been a US Citizen since he was a child. If the proof of his citizenship is his passport just keep a copy of the expired one.

He became citizen as a baby because both of his parents are US citizens. So the proof he has that he is a citizen is the passport. He has to give his old passport away to get the new one, so that’s why we made copies of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chaka Quaker said:

He became citizen as a baby because both of his parents are US citizens. So the proof he has that he is a citizen is the passport. He has to give his old passport away to get the new one, so that’s why we made copies of it. 

Since both of his parents are US citizen when he was born then his birth certificate is an enough evidence of his citizenship. I don't see this as a conflict on the requirements neither is his renewed passport.


10/15/18 - I-751 Packet sent

10/16/18 - Signed and received

10/19/18 - Check cashed

10/22/18 - Text from USCIS with LINXXXXXXXX

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GreenGem said:

Since both of his parents are US citizen when he was born then his birth certificate is an enough evidence of his citizenship. I don't see this as a conflict on the requirements neither is his renewed passport.

Thank you. I just figured that the fact that we will show a renewed passtport because the other expired enough to prove how long he has been a citizen since that indicates he had the other one for 10 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Birth certificate.


Michele & Schneithers K1 Journey

I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Packet 4 Received : never received ..does it even exist?

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

 

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

 

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

 

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×