Ann&James

Green Card after Point of Entry

10 posts in this topic

I am entering the us through JFK in a couple of weeks on a CR1/IR1 visa. I have been reading about persons receiving there actual green card  in 2 weeks while others have waited 10 months plus. Is there anything that I can do to receive my green card without waiting months?

22 minutes ago, Ann&James said:

I am entering the us through JFK in a couple of weeks on a CR1/IR1 visa. I have been reading about persons receiving there actual green card  in 2 weeks while others have waited 10 months plus. Is there anything that I can do to receive my green card without waiting months?

The 10 month wait is for K-1.  They need to do AOS after they get married in the states.  The CR-1 does AOS prior to POE so the successful CR-1 filer should have green card in hand within a couple weeks of entry.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Just now, John & Rose said:

The 10 month wait is for K-1.  They need to do AOS after they get married in the states.  The CR-1 does AOS prior to POE so the successful CR-1 filer should have green card in hand within a couple weeks of entry.

I have also read that some persons with  CR1 visa have waited 10 months or more to get their greencard after point of entry.

Just now, Ann&James said:

I have also read that some persons with  CR1 visa have waited 10 months or more to get their greencard after point of entry.

I have never heard anything like that in the 3 years i've been here.  I suppose it is possible but it would have to be a weird anomaly that was discovered after POE.  The longest I've ever read about was 3.5 weeks.  The AOS is already done so there isn't much more to do.  Did they move and fail to update their mailing address?

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

I have heard couple of 10 month delays but as mentioned those were exceptions where their entry at the port of entry was not recorded properly. 

Since you would have a 1- year validity permanent resident stamp in your passport, any delay in the arrival of a green card is just a small inconvenience not something that would stall things by itself. 

What you need quickly is your SSN card without which many things do not move ahead. I’d recommend you go to your local SSA office with your passport after a week of arrival and confirm with them they are indeed issuing you a SSN. 

Edited by willcrack

Just now, willcrack said:

I have heard couple of 10 month delays but as mentioned those were exceptions where their entry at the port of entry was not recorded properly. 

Since you would have a 1- year validity permanent resident stamp in your passport, any delay in the arrival of a green card is just a small inconvenience not something that would stall things by itself. 

What you need quickly is your SSN card without which many things do not move ahead. I’d recommend you go to your local SSA office with your passport after a week of arrival and confirm with them they are indeed issuing you a SSN. 

Thank you

~~moved to General immigration discussion from IR1/CR1 progress reports with other like topics.  topic is not visa specific~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/6/2018 at 10:30 AM, John & Rose said:

I have never heard anything like that in the 3 years i've been here.

It took 14 months for my green card to arrive after POE on an IR1. 

On 11/21/2018 at 9:32 AM, broppy said:

It took 14 months for my green card to arrive after POE on an IR1. 

That was extraordinarily excessive!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.