fluffykim

How many went to their fiance interviews?

36 posts in this topic

My husband’s interview was in Barbados. I went, even tho people told me they wouldn’t let me in, I’m stubborn, I wanted to see for myself! I was allowed in.🙌🏽🙌🏽🙌🏽 

When he approached the counter, I stayed seated and watched until he looked stuck (he did remember where I told him my w2’s were)! I stepped right up and helped . The interviewer gave me a warm smile& continued. Everything went perfectly!

Edited by Kay&richie

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

My fiance’s (now husband) interview was in Algeria. Everything I read said I would not be allowed into the consulate. I went anyway (just so my fiancé could hand over my passport and say “she is here now if you have any questions for her”) 

The interview is a big, stressful, intimidating step in the process to be together...I wanted to be there for support (and, argue with them if they had any doubts and demand a supervisory review).

BTW.... I was let into the consulate to attend the interview (I sat in the waiting area while my fiancé answered questions).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Nah, I went to the interview alone. In Sweden they don't care to have the US citizen there and even if they come anyway, they won't come up to the window and won't be answering any questions anyway. Having the US citizen there makes zero difference at that embassy.

My husband, then fiancé, gave me the option of him going with me to the interview or come get me when I was ready to finally move. Of course I chose the latter.

I hadn't made any plans for the move before getting the visa in hand (wanted to make sure I'd get the visa first), so I needed quite a lot of time to plan for everything (selling my house, my car, all my other belonings, leaving work etc) after I received the visa. Since he runs two companies in the US he couldn't stay in Sweden for the interview and all the way to the day I was finally ready to move.

Obviously having him there with me for the actually move was more important to me than having him there for the interview. Spending 12 hours on the plane was so much nicer that way, going through customs and being questioned by CBP felt so much better with him by my side. Oh and of course he travelled to Sweden with empty bags so I could stuff his bags with even more things I wanted to bring with me to the US. 👍

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

I went with my fiancee-now husband-- to his interview. I didn't have to, but I wanted to go for emotional support. In our embassy, the interview is held in a separate room. I was allowed in the room and the officer spoke to both of us. We actually shared a chair since they only had one chair haha! He was really sweet and the three of us had a nice conversation. For me, it was so nice to be a part of that process and do this together as a couple. 

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I did not go to my husband (then fiance's) interview.  I though I had well prepared him for the interview with all of the appropriate documents.  His visa was  temporarily denied at that interview and a second interview was required which the embassy made me attend.  3 weeks later I was on a plane to Jamaica.  His visa was approved at the second interview.  It is not always necessary for the petitioner to attend the K1 visa interview many Jamaicans are approved without their fiances present but that being said I will give you the following advice.  If you do not plan to attend the interview please make sure you visit your fiance more than 1 time during your wait for NOA2.  Keep boarding passes and take lots of photos to document your on going relationship.  I was only able to visit my fiance once during the process and that was the initial meeting to meet the visa requirement.  I'm so glad that you found this website before filing and can get very important country specific information.  Good luck to you guys!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Jenny17655 said:

I did not go to my husband (then fiance's) interview.  I though I had well prepared him for the interview with all of the appropriate documents.  His visa was  temporarily denied at that interview and a second interview was required which the embassy made me attend.  3 weeks later I was on a plane to Jamaica.  His visa was approved at the second interview.  It is not always necessary for the petitioner to attend the K1 visa interview many Jamaicans are approved without their fiances present but that being said I will give you the following advice.  If you do not plan to attend the interview please make sure you visit your fiance more than 1 time during your wait for NOA2.  Keep boarding passes and take lots of photos to document your on going relationship.  I was only able to visit my fiance once during the process and that was the initial meeting to meet the visa requirement.  I'm so glad that you found this website before filing and can get very important country specific information.  Good luck to you guys!!!

Thanks Jenny.  I am going to attend the interview.  No doubt.  Since our meeting in August (initial) we will have 2 additional visits by the time i file  next week and one additional visit for New years (4 in total including the initial).  Do you suggest an additional visit before the interview?  I will start planning/saving now if that is the case.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
9 minutes ago, fluffykim said:

Thanks Jenny.  I am going to attend the interview.  No doubt.  Since our meeting in August (initial) we will have 2 additional visits by the time i file  next week and one additional visit for New years (4 in total including the initial).  Do you suggest an additional visit before the interview?  I will start planning/saving now if that is the case.

I'm just saying in my case the embassy only had one visit to go off of to prove our relationship.  That wasn't enough for them to make a decision in our case.  It seems you visit your boo on a regular basis so as long as you send the proof with him to the interview then I wouldn't be too concerned about having to be there.  If you are able to go then by all means support your man and go with him.  

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hi! My fiance (now husband) got his fiance visa in August 2016 at the embassy in Guayaquil, Ecuador.

I went to the interview, and they asked me questions as well (probably the same amount as my husband! haha). I am so glad I did just to be there for moral support for him, but also because they actually did need me to be there.

I have read that they no longer allow the petitioner into that specific embassy with the foreign fiance/spouse, but I think that has always varied by the embassy. However, I also read a review for that embassy recently in which someone said they went to the interview with their foreign fiance, were not allowed in initially, waited outside, and were later called into the embassy to answer some questions. In my opinion throughout the WHOLE process, I always feel that it is better to be safe than sorry, so I would recommend going. But, definitely check out the specific details of the embassy where YOU will be applying. 

I-751

29 Oct 2018      Application Sent

31 Oct 2018      Application Received 

5 Nov 2018       Text confirmation 

6 Nov 2018       Check Cashed

1 Dec 2018       Biometrics Appointment Notice

6 Dec 2018       NOA1 Date

10 Dec 2018     Biometrics Appointment - Syracuse, NY

11 Dec 2018     NOA1 Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

My fiance (now my husband) came to my country to attend the visa interview with me. Some might not agree with me, however, I believe it help our case a bit. My fiance and I just meet once before filing the K-1 Visa. At first, I'm a bit worry, they will deny us because of that reason. I worry they will ask how many times we met. However, I believe, we overcome that, by having him with me. They just ask a basic questions and didn't ask about how many times we meet (might be because he's there). Aside that, having him with me absolutely help in calming me down.. sometimes, I tend to startled whenever I'm nervous.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not working with USCIS/NVC and never work with them. All my comment based on my own experience and what I read. 

"When you have a fight with your partner, remember that it is not you against your partner but it is both of you against the problem" :) 

I-129F Sent : 2017-05-12

I-129F NOA1 :

I-129F NOA2:

2017-06-17

2017-11-29 (Date on hard copy) / 2017-11-30 (Date USCIS Website/Online Tracker App)

NVC Received Date:                 2018-01-16

NVC Case No. assigned:         2018-01-16

NVC Left:                                    2018-01-20

Consulate Received:                2018-01-22

Packet 3 Received:                   2018-01-27

Packet 3 Sent:                           2018-01-27

Interview Date:                          2018-03-08

Visa Received:                          2018-03-13

US Entry:                                    2018-03-19

SSN Application:                      2018-04-03

SSN Received:                          2018-05-02

Marriage:                                   2018-05-05

Marriage Certificate

Received:                                   2018-05-15

Change name in SSN:             2018-06-04

AOS, AP & EAD submitted:    2018-07-06

NOA 1 (email):                          2018-07-10

NOA 1 (mail):                            2018-07-16

Biometric app:                          2018-08-09

EAD & AP Received:                2018-xx-xx

AOS Interview:                          2018-09-24 
Approval/Denied:                      Approved 

Green Card Received:             2018-09-29

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It would be nice to attend but the US State Department likes to play games with Russian US embassies (and close them all down mostly), so we are never sure when an interview will even become available in our precious Moscow US Embassy.

If we can find availability in January, I can join her. But, because of timing issues, she may need to get the visa in December without me at the interview. We plan to return together, (with her K1) to the USA mid January.

I hate for her to do it alone but she will be fine regardless. She's Russian.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 hours ago, fluffykim said:

Each person’s case is different, as are the embassies. As @Jenny17655 said, embassy specific responses are best. I don’t know why ppl say JA is a high fraud country🙄🤷🏽‍♀️. The best thing to do is submit a solid package from first. When your fiancé goes to the interview, the CO will have already reviewed your package and made a decision. The interview is to confirm or deny what you’ve already sent. As you read the embassy reviews you will see most ppl say the interview itself is not very long bc they have lots of interviews to get through. Make sure you have all your documents already submitted and research and take what will be required at the interview for the K1. Do not go to the interview thinking it will be an opportunity to prove the relationship. They are not required to look at any additional documentation and most times they will deny to see any. Best evidence is that which can show FaceTime (i.e. boarding passes, receipts showing both names, etc). Look through past reviews to see what questions were asked of other applicants going through same process and prepare. Lastly, remember on the K1 he cannot work or leave the country until he has authorization (some ppl saying it’s taking 6 months or so) so if money is an issue, that’s something to consider. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
3 minutes ago, angelbrown said:

Each person’s case is different, as are the embassies. As @Jenny17655 said, embassy specific responses are best. I don’t know why ppl say JA is a high fraud country🙄🤷🏽‍♀️. The best thing to do is submit a solid package from first. When your fiancé goes to the interview, the CO will have already reviewed your package and made a decision. The interview is to confirm or deny what you’ve already sent. As you read the embassy reviews you will see most ppl say the interview itself is not very long bc they have lots of interviews to get through. Make sure you have all your documents already submitted and research and take what will be required at the interview for the K1. Do not go to the interview thinking it will be an opportunity to prove the relationship. They are not required to look at any additional documentation and most times they will deny to see any. Best evidence is that which can show FaceTime (i.e. boarding passes, receipts showing both names, etc). Look through past reviews to see what questions were asked of other applicants going through same process and prepare. Lastly, remember on the K1 he cannot work or leave the country until he has authorization (some ppl saying it’s taking 6 months or so) so if money is an issue, that’s something to consider. 

THANK YOU and great feedback.  Question, what receipts would you suggest we both have names on?  I am travelling to Jamaica, so plane tickets, hotel reservations are in my name.  Is there something I am missing that he could be on a receipt for?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
10 minutes ago, fluffykim said:

THANK YOU and great feedback.  Question, what receipts would you suggest we both have names on?  I am travelling to Jamaica, so plane tickets, hotel reservations are in my name.  Is there something I am missing that he could be on a receipt for?

Have you stayed at any resorts? Or taken any trips to other parts of the islands where maybe you stayed?  Many hotel/resorts require all occupants names to be listed. Or maybe car rentals? Also joint bank account. 

Edited by angelbrown

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.