fluffykim

Wedding Venue Deposit

21 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, fluffykim said:

Question in terms of timing on a wedding venue.  When do /did people put deposits down?  Did you wait until you get formally approved after the interview?  Do you guess 10months out?

Just wanting to plan and be proactive

Thanks!

If you want to take the risk, make sure you understand the terms for cancellation or rescheduling.  You may be able to cancel or reschedule if it's enough months out.

I don't recommend this though.  I planned a second wedding with all the family and did a reasonable calculation many months after we assumed my husband would be approved.   I could cancel up to three months beforehand and get all my money back.  But the stress level and paperwork/logistics, added on top of the visa stress, was overwhelming.  Unless you both have nerves of steel and money to burn, wait for the visa first.   Don't start out your life together with that level of stress and paperwork on you.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
17 minutes ago, mtempelaar said:

There is a lesson here for anyone using translators - check, doublecheck and then check again on those translations.   I used a service and the person who translated did such a bad job that I had to send it back multiple times for corrections.  I don't even speak the language they were translating from and even I could see glaring issues.    

I whole heartedly agree. Crazy thing is I speak the language that was being translated (wasn’t confident enough to do it myself though) and I too had to send it back for them to edit errors, but the date is the one thing I looked over cause there were so many dates in written form, I missed the most important one. I had the translate company provide me with an accurate one and had them write out a cover letter admitting to their mistake and emailed it to the embassy the next day.  So definitely a huge lesson learned. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 hours ago, K & R said:

Just make sure you don’t go back to Jamaica and do the big wedding until your fiancé/husband has either AP or his greencard. If he leaves during the AOS process without AP he cannot come back unless you start all over with a CR1 visa

Agreed....we wont be doing that until 2020 (assuming he gets to USA 2019)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Visa and passport in hand and plane ticket booked!

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
22 hours ago, fluffykim said:

Question in terms of timing on a wedding venue.  When do /did people put deposits down?  Did you wait until you get formally approved after the interview?  Do you guess 10months out?

Just wanting to plan and be proactive

Thanks!

If you do want to plan a wedding maybe you want to wait until you at least either A) Get your case and invoice number from NVC (I am not sure if financee visa people go through this step or not) or B) wait until you receive a case complete letter after the NVC process. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

To echo others, I would not put money down on anything until visa is in hand.

We planned nothing that far ahead. We waited until he was actually here on his K1, got married legally (that doesn't really take much planning at all), and then began planning a wedding for a later date. At first, I wasn't totally happy with having it separate like that, but it ended up being the best solution for us and took a LOT of stress and anxiety out of the entire equation.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.