Jump to content

Do I need a police certificate for a country I lived in under the age of 16?

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

So I am prepping for my interview and organizing myself and I notice something that is concerning me, in fact I am freaking out a little.


So when I was kid (under the age of 15) I lived a country for a couple of years. I was not a citizen of the country and I have never returned to the country ever since I left it.  According to NVC I don't require a police certificate from here (according to https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-5-collect-supporting-documents.html).  In fact, I called NVC and confirmed if this was true when I was submitting the Document and the said yes, and I moved through NVC, with out any hassle in regards to this.


Now that I am getting ready for my interview, I am going through the Consulate specific checklist and it says the following:

"If you are older than 16 years of age: The original police certificate from your country of current residence, any countries where you lived for more than 12 months, and any country where you have been arrested....." ( I quoting this from page 4 of this document: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/iv-dv-supplemental/MTL-Montreal.pdf)


According to the above statement is sounds like I need a police certificate from the country I lived in under that age of 16, where I was not a citizen off. Are the requirements for the consulate and NVC different and do I need to look into getting a police certificate from this country?


Thank you!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are older than 16 years of age


it doesn't get any plainer than that. were you older than 16 or meet the other criteria. police check. under 16 no police check.

Edited by debbiedoo

5/7/2018 K1       Application mailed

5/9/2018             Application rec'd and signed for (sent via fedex)

5/14/2018          NOA1 Email notification

5/18/2018          NOA1 Paper copy rec'd (i797C)

11/5/2018          NOA2 ❤️ no RFE's

11/19/2018        NVC Received file

12/13/2018        Consulate received/ ready to schedule interview


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, debbiedoo said:

If you are older than 16 years of age


it doesn't get any plainer than that. were you older than 16 or meet the other criteria. police check. under 16 no police check.

I don't believe that is a direct or exact quote as, if you were exactly sixteen, you would need the report.  Before age 16, no police report is needed.  EXACT quote, "from the police authorities of the applicant's country of current residence if the applicant has resided there for at least six months after attaining the age of sixteen;"

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.