ehayulhwang

Q about I131 Advance Parole

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I got married with k1 visa last week and now filling my AOS packages right now, and I am a bit stuck with I131. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1. In part 2 application type, would I be 1.d. “I am applying for an advance parole document to allow me to return to US after temporary foreign travel”? I don’t see any other type that would be applicable to me.

2. In part 3 and 4, what if I don’t have any intended travel date and information right now? I guess I’m a bit confused because I thought AP was a document that allows me to travel when emergency situations arise. This part doesn’t make any sense to me since I can’t plan for emergency situations. Would I send i131 along with i485, or send i131 when I actually face an emergency? If latter is the case, would I get the AP in time for my travel?

Thank you!

Edited by ehayulhwang

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
40 minutes ago, ehayulhwang said:

1. In part 2 application type, would I be 1.d. “I am applying for an advance parole document to allow me to return to US after temporary foreign travel”? I don’t see any other type that would be applicable to me.

Box 1.d. is the correct choice

40 minutes ago, ehayulhwang said:

2. In part 3 and 4, what if I don’t have any intended travel date and information right now? I guess I’m a bit confused because I thought AP was a document that allows me to travel when emergency situations arise. This part doesn’t make any sense to me since I can’t plan for emergency situations. Would I send i131 along with i485, or send i131 when I actually face an emergency? If latter is the case, would I get the AP in time for my travel?

AOS AP can be used at any time, not just for emergencies. For Part 3, what I did was to input an unreasonable date considering USCIS processing timeline. For example, you can fill Part 3 like this:

1. 11/28/2018

2. 16

3.a. No

4.a. No

5. (Just select this box and you are done with Part 3)

The form explicitly states that only DACA AP applicants need to fill Part 4, and just go straight to Part 7. Nonetheless, there is no negative impact in filling Part 4. You can put a generic statement like "Visit my family" or "Visit (insert tourist attraction)". And at least put Canada (you can add countries if you wish).

Remember to select "More than one trip" for #1 in Part 7.

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

*~*~*moved from “K-1 fiancé visa process and procedures” to “AOS from K visas” as OP is now adjusting status*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
13 hours ago, LenaT said:

In "Other Information" in Part 1, what should I write for the class of admission?

The answer is: K-1

On 11/3/2018 at 5:38 PM, TM92 said:

Box 1.d. is the correct choice

AOS AP can be used at any time, not just for emergencies. For Part 3, what I did was to input an unreasonable date considering USCIS processing timeline. For example, you can fill Part 3 like this:

1. 11/28/2018

2. 16

3.a. No

4.a. No

5. (Just select this box and you are done with Part 3)

The form explicitly states that only DACA AP applicants need to fill Part 4, and just go straight to Part 7. Nonetheless, there is no negative impact in filling Part 4. You can put a generic statement like "Visit my family" or "Visit (insert tourist attraction)". And at least put Canada (you can add countries if you wish).

Remember to select "More than one trip" for #1 in Part 7.

Thanks for the answer! Just one more part that's confusing me. The instruction says:

Advance Parole Document for Individuals Who Are Currently in the United States
If you are in the United States, you must attach:
(1) A copy of any document issued to you by USCIS showing your present status, if any, in the United States; and
(2) An explanation or other evidence showing the circumstances that warrant issuance of an Advance Parole
Document; or
(3) If you are an applicant for adjustment of status, a copy of a USCIS receipt as evidence that you filed the
adjustment application; or
(4) If you are traveling to Canada to apply for an immigrant visa, a copy of the U.S. consular appointment letter;

I'm guessing I'm under #3? In this case, is the 'receipt' the AOS payment receipt? And would I still need to attach an explanation? 

Thank you again! 

Timeline
5 hours ago, ehayulhwang said:

Advance Parole Document for Individuals Who Are Currently in the United States
If you are in the United States, you must attach:
(1) A copy of any document issued to you by USCIS showing your present status, if any, in the United States; and
(2) An explanation or other evidence showing the circumstances that warrant issuance of an Advance Parole
Document; or
(3) If you are an applicant for adjustment of status, a copy of a USCIS receipt as evidence that you filed the
adjustment application; or
(4) If you are traveling to Canada to apply for an immigrant visa, a copy of the U.S. consular appointment letter;

I'm guessing I'm under #3? In this case, is the 'receipt' the AOS payment receipt? And would I still need to attach an explanation?

On 11/3/2018 at 5:00 PM, ehayulhwang said:

I got married with k1 visa last week and now filling my AOS packages right now, and I am a bit stuck with I131.

Since you are going to send the I-131 together with the I-485 paperwork, you can send the documents listed in the I-131 cover letter example below:

On 12/15/2017 at 10:40 PM, TM92 said:

[Street Number and Name]

[City, State ZIP]

[Month Day, Year]

USCIS

P.O. Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

RE: I-131, Application for Travel Document

Applicant: [Applicant's Full Name]

A-Number: [A-Number]

To Whom It May Concern:

I’m filing my Adjustment of Status (I-485) and Employment Authorization (I-765) applications concurrently with this request for an Advance Parole Document (I-131). I’m filing the I-485 after July 29, 2007, and paying a one-time filing fee. Therefore, as an Adjustment of Status applicant, I am not required to pay additional USCIS fees for this I-131 request.

I am enclosing the following documents in support of my application for Advance Parole:

1. Form I-131, Application for Travel Document

2. Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

3. Copy of biographic page of passport

4. Copy of K-1 visa page and Form I-94

5. Certified copy of marriage certificate

6. Two identical passport-style color photographs

I am requesting that your office promptly approve my request for an Advance Parole Document. If you have any questions or concerns, please call me at

(000) 000-0000. Thank you for the time taken in this case.

Sincerely,

[Applicant's Full Name]

Below are cover letter examples for the I-485 and I-765:

On 12/15/2017 at 10:32 PM, TM92 said:

[Street Number and Name]

[City, State ZIP]

[Month Day, Year]

USCIS

P.O. Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

RE: I-485, Application to Adjust Status

To Whom It May Concern:

I entered the US with a K-1 visa last [Date of Entry]. My port of entry was [Port of Entry]. I am now applying for Adjustment of Status (I-485) based on marriage to [Name of Petitioner], a US citizen. We married on [Date of Marriage] at [Place of Marriage]. I’m also filing my Employment Authorization (I-765) and Advance Parole Document (I-131) applications concurrently with this I-485 request.

I am enclosing the following documents in support of my application for Adjustment of Status:

1. Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status

3. Filing and biometric services fees of $1225 in the form of a personal check payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security

4. Copy of my birth certificate, translation, and certificate of translation

6. Copy of I-797, Notice of Approval for the I-129F petition and NVC acceptance letter

7. Copy of biographic page of passport

8. Copy of K-1 visa page

9. Copy of Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record

10. Copy of Vaccination Documentation Worksheet, Form DS-3025

11. Sealed envelope for the Form I-693 signed by a USCIS recommended civil surgeon

12. Two identical passport-style color photographs

13. Form I-864, Affidavit of Support from my spouse along with the following documents:

1. Employment letter

2. Three months of recent pay stubs

3. Copies of past three Form 1040

4. Copies of W-2's for past three years

5. Copies of past three IRS tax transcripts

6. Biographic page of petitioner's passport

7. Copy of petitioner's birth certificate

I am requesting that your office promptly approve my request for Adjustment of Status. If you have any questions or concerns, please call me at (000) 000-0000. Thank you for the time taken in this case.

Sincerely,

[Applicant's Full Name]

On 12/15/2017 at 10:36 PM, TM92 said:

[Street Number and Name]

[City, State ZIP]

[Month Day, Year]

USCIS

P.O. Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

RE: I-765, Application for Employment Authorization

To Whom It May Concern:

I’m filing my Adjustment of Status (I-485) and Advance Parole Document (I-131) applications concurrently with this request for an Employment Authorization Document (I-765). I’m filing the I-485 after July 29, 2007, and paying a one-time filing fee. Therefore, as an Adjustment of Status applicant, I am not required to pay additional USCIS fees for this I-765 request.

I am enclosing the following documents in support of my application for Employment Authorization:

1. Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization

3. Copy of biographic page of passport

4. Copy of K-1 visa page and Form I-94

6. Two identical passport-style color photographs

I am requesting that your office promptly approve my request for an Employment Authorization Document. If you have any questions or concerns, please call me at (000) 000-0000. Thank you for the time taken in this case.

Sincerely,

[Applicant's Full Name]

Edited by TM92

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
15 hours ago, TM92 said:

Since you are going to send the I-131 together with the I-485 paperwork, you can send the documents listed in the I-131 cover letter example below:

Below are cover letter examples for the I-485 and I-765:

Thanks for this TM92! I just got married on a K1 and am about to file these documents next week. Appreciate your inputs 👍

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.