Hook_Grapp

Police Certificate from RCMP

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Can someone explain the new police check requirements. I am so confused reading the comments in the other thread. I understand there is some confusion about that its needed but can someone explain what the state of the issue is now? What kind of police certificate I need? The one with the Privacy act (which supposedly doesn't have fingerprints on the paper) OR the one with the fingerprints, which is the certified one? I am confused still. 

Also I have not yet received the NOA2. We're expecting it to get it early December. Am I worrying about the police certificate from Canada too early?? Or should I wait at least till have the NOA2.

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Originally, the only police check that was asked for was the regular name check.  Everyone got that one.  A few days before Sept 10, someone from here posted that there was a now a different police check being asked for and as of Sept 10, 2018, the one needed for the US consulate in Montreal was now going to be the fingerprint based Privacy Act police check.  Travel.state.gov made a few mistakes on their website when posting about the specifics of the new Privacy Act records check and that's where all the confusion started.  They had reported that it was a Certified records check and it was not.  They said that your photo and fingerprints must be on the document, which although you do get fingerprinted and a photo taken at the time you go to the RCMP to get it done, those do not appear on the final document when you get it back.   So, those mistakes lead to a hell of a lot of confusion for the people at NVC and us.  Some people got a case complete from just the regular name check, some people uploaded the proper Privacy Act document were given an RFE because it did not have the photo/fingerprints on the document.  Its been about 2 months now and the information on the travel.state.gov site has been corrected to say that fingerprints will not appear on the final Privacy Act when you get it back. 

When you go to get yours, you need to request the Privacy Act Certificate and make sure they do not select Visa/Boarder crossing as the reason for the request.  This is important because if they put visa/border crossing as the reason for requesting it, your fingerprints and photo will appear on the certificate you get back and it will be the wrong one.   It usually takes about 10 days to receive it back if you do not have any kind of criminal record.  If you are expecting your NOA2 in December, you can get it done now no problem.  Might as well get a jump on getting all your documents now since you will be receiving your NOA2 soon.

CR-1 Visa
Texas Service Center
Montreal, Canada Consulate
Canadian Beneficiary/US Petitioner

Married: Nov 15, 2017
NOA1/PD Date: Jan 5, 2018
I-130 Approved: July 6, 2018 (6 months wait)
NVC Received Case: July 18, 2018 (12 days wait)
Received Case Number: August 10, 2018 (23 days wait)
Paid AOS & IV Bill: August 10, 2018
Was marked "PAID" August 15, 2018 at the CEAC site. (3 business days wait)

Filled out DS-261 & Supporting Docs: Tuesday August 21 2018

Uploaded AOS Forms & Supporting Docs: Friday August 24 2018

Case Complete: September 13, 2018

Appointment Date Email: November 9, 2018

Appointment Date: December 21, 2018

Visa Approved: December 21, 2018

Picked up Visa from Post Office: December 31, 2018

Received SSN: January 4th, 2019

Received GC in Mail: March 24, 2019

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, SKB2017 said:

When you go to get yours, you need to request the Privacy Act Certificate and make sure they do not select Visa/Boarder crossing as the reason for the request.  This is important because if they put visa/border crossing as the reason for requesting it, your fingerprints and photo will appear on the certificate you get back and it will be the wrong one.   It usually takes about 10 days to receive it back if you do not have any kind of criminal record.  If you are expecting your NOA2 in December, you can get it done now no problem.  Might as well get a jump on getting all your documents now since you will be receiving your NOA2 soon.

Nice summary, was looking for something like this myself.

I got CC on Sept 17 2018 with the regular check at the local Police station. Waiting for PD to become current and then for MTL to schedule an appointment. Few questions if you dont mind;

1- Is it possible I might need this new Privacy act Certificate even though i got CC already, but after the Sept 10 date they posted this change?

2- Where would I go to get the Privacy Act Certificate and what WOULD be the reason they should note down? I am in Toronto area.

Thank you!

Edited by Jimmy The Tulip

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
54 minutes ago, Jimmy The Tulip said:

Nice summary, was looking for something like this myself.

I got CC on Sept 17 2018 with the regular check at the local Police station. Waiting for PD to become current and then for MTL to schedule an appointment. Few questions if you dont mind;

1- Is it possible I might need this new Privacy act Certificate even though i got CC already, but after the Sept 10 date they posted this change?

2- Where would I go to get the Privacy Act Certificate and what WOULD be the reason they should note down? I am in Toronto area.

Thank you!

My CC was Sept 13 and i only had uploaded the regular name check and it was approved, but they may or may not ask for the proper Privacy Act certificate at the interview, so just to be on the safe side, i went ahead and got the Privacy Act done.  I would rather have it and not need it, than have them tell me i need to get it before they issue me my visa and then have a big delay.  It all depends on the discretion of the officer who's looking at your case i guess.

You could call your local RMCP to see if they will do it, but if I remember correctly, most people in the TO area went to the commissionaires in TO and got it done just fine, with no problems.    I forget what they put down for mine, but she showed me on the screen as she was doing it, and there was only 2 options to choose from, Visa/Border and the other one whatever it was.  I'm sure by now that they'd had a lot of people requesting this and they know which one to choose.  If you are going to get it done, i'd do it very soon.  Never know how long its going to take with the Canada Post strike and all that going on.

CR-1 Visa
Texas Service Center
Montreal, Canada Consulate
Canadian Beneficiary/US Petitioner

Married: Nov 15, 2017
NOA1/PD Date: Jan 5, 2018
I-130 Approved: July 6, 2018 (6 months wait)
NVC Received Case: July 18, 2018 (12 days wait)
Received Case Number: August 10, 2018 (23 days wait)
Paid AOS & IV Bill: August 10, 2018
Was marked "PAID" August 15, 2018 at the CEAC site. (3 business days wait)

Filled out DS-261 & Supporting Docs: Tuesday August 21 2018

Uploaded AOS Forms & Supporting Docs: Friday August 24 2018

Case Complete: September 13, 2018

Appointment Date Email: November 9, 2018

Appointment Date: December 21, 2018

Visa Approved: December 21, 2018

Picked up Visa from Post Office: December 31, 2018

Received SSN: January 4th, 2019

Received GC in Mail: March 24, 2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.