Ariethesiren

Transferring money from UK to USA

8 posts in this topic

Hi, My husband is planning on moving to the US in December and we're wondering what's the best way (exchange rate etc) to get his money from his UK account to a US account?  Any advice is appreciated! Thank you :D 

Hello,

I did mine via cash, I drew it all out converted it to dollars in the UK and then put it in a bank account over here in the US. It cuts out the charges the bank adds on for transfers and conversions.

I didn't have that much money mind, it may be a different story for you guys.

Good luck :)

Timeline:

05-25-2014 - Met Jose (Husband to be)

12-23-2015 - Got Engaged

10-18-2016 - Got Married

11-14-2016 - Filed I-485, I-130, I-765, I-131 by a Lawyer

12-20-2016 - Biometrics Date

04-27-2017 - Interview Date & Approved Same Day

05-02-2017 - Conditional Greencard Arrived

04-11-2018 - NOA - 120 Day Notice for Conditions to be Removed

05-16-2018 - Filed 1st I-751 Package

05-24-2018 - Rejection Notice (Wrong Lockbox)

05-30-2018 - Filed 2nd I-751 Package

06-14-2018 - Rejection Notice (Wrong Amount)

06-20-2018 - Filed 3rd I-751 Package

July 2018    - Rejection Notice (Wrong Date on Greencard, USCIS Error - July 2016 Instead of April 2017)

07-15-2018 - Filed I-90 Online from Advice from USCIS for a new Greencard with the right date 

08-07-2018 - Biometrics Appointment for Updated Greencard

08-27-2018 - I-551 Stamped in Passport (Thank God), as Greencard was Running out & I90 Processing 

10-24-2018 - Rejection Notice for I90 Renewal - No record of me sending in I-751 (LOL!!!!) and also I have passed my Greencard expiry date....

10-26-2018 - Called USCIS, talked to a Tier 2 Officer. Got an email back saying to File I290B.... I'm Not.

10-31-2018 - Got my Local Congressman's Immigration Team to Help my Situation (They didn't help..)

11-15-2018 - Sent my Greencard off to USCIS for Error on the Date

12-10-2018 - Completed biometrics for new Greencard

02-13-2019 - Filed 4th  I751 Package

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ariethesiren said:

Hi, My husband is planning on moving to the US in December and we're wondering what's the best way (exchange rate etc) to get his money from his UK account to a US account?  Any advice is appreciated! Thank you :D 

Transferwise.com

I've used them twice for large sums. Flawless.

I used Revolut, if you pay the annual fee there’s then unlimited transfer and the conversion rate is the best you will find anywhere as they use the interbank rate. 

2 hours ago, Steve&Chelsea said:

I used Revolut, if you pay the annual fee there’s then unlimited transfer and the conversion rate is the best you will find anywhere as they use the interbank rate. 

Revolut is fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.