lierre

‘This is not going to be won militarily’: Top US commander in Afghanistan reveals pessimism

6 posts in this topic

‘This is not going to be won militarily’: Top US commander in Afghanistan reveals pessimism

In his first interview since taking command of NATO’s Resolute Support mission in September, Army Gen. Austin Miller’s thoughts seem to mirror the pessimism felt by the American people as the war in Afghanistan treads past the 17-year mark.

“This is not going to be won militarily,” Miller told NBC News in an exclusive interview. “This is going to a political solution."

“My assessment is the Taliban also realizes they cannot win militarily,” he said. "So if you realize you can’t win militarily at some point, fighting is just, people start asking why. So you do not necessarily wait us out, but I think now is the time to start working through the political piece of this conflict.”

Miller’s comments reflect several realities portrayed in the latest report from the leading U.S. government oversight agency on Afghanistan.

Complete link: https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-air-force/2018/11/01/this-is-not-going-to-be-won-militarily-top-us-commander-in-afghanistan-reveals-pessimism/ 

I reckon a lot of VJ members were or are in the military.

Afghanistan just sounds like a battle that will never end.

Thoughts?

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

8 hours ago, lierre said:

Complete link: https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-air-force/2018/11/01/this-is-not-going-to-be-won-militarily-top-us-commander-in-afghanistan-reveals-pessimism/ 

Thoughts?

People been trying to conquer Afghanistan for centuries.  Thank you GWB

Afghanistan (with US Help) took out the Russians, kind of like their Viet Nam, I would believe the ground commanders assessment

14 hours ago, lierre said:

Thoughts?

As someone who has spent 2 years in Kandahar Afghanistan I will tell you that we should have been gone years ago. It is only a quagmire now with no end in sight at all. We need to stop pouring our money into peacekeeping and just get out. 

I know this freaking sucks to say the least because we have lost a lot of people over there, some of whom were my friends. But it needs to be said that we need to stop pouring our personnel and resources into that war. The only time it was ever a unified country and not warring within itself a king ruled with a Iron Fist.

Edited by Cyberfx1024

3 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

As someone who has spent 2 years in Kandahar Afghanistan I will tell you that we should have been gone years ago. It is only a quagmire now with no end in sight at all. We need to stop pouring our money into peacekeeping and just get out. 

I know this freaking sucks to say the least because we have lost a lot of people over there, some of whom were my friends. But it needs to be said that we need to stop pouring our personnel and resources into that war. The only time it was ever a unified country and not warring within itself a king ruled with a Iron Fist.

I've heard this said, too, by people who have been deployed there. 😢 I find it sad. 

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Filed: Timeline
7 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I second (and 3rd, 4th, 5th) that emotion.  It was a lost cause years ago when I was there.  We capture a shipment of black tar opium, put it in a warehouse for destruction, and 24-36 hours later, it is gone, taken by the very folks who helped capture it.  Why?  Money. It’s quite the motivator.  More money in a month than most Afghan families make in years.  We will never “win”.  Time to get out.